• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Visitor Messaging

Several months ago I proposed disabling Visitor Messaging from the entire forum but there were objections from those who were already making regular use of the facility. The (then) prime objector subsequently had their entire VMs deleted and opted to disable it from their account.

It does seem to provide a certain amount of post-posting concern so I'm asking again whether there is anyone who finds this facility useful? If not, I shall disable it (this does not automatically delete VMs from the database, but the messages are no longer visible and no new messages can be posted).

Please object NOW if you want VMs to continue.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Several months ago I proposed disabling Visitor Messaging from the entire forum but there were objections from those who were already making regular use of the facility. The (then) prime objector subsequently had their entire VMs deleted and opted to disable it from their account.

It does seem to provide a certain amount of post-posting concern so I'm asking again whether there is anyone who finds this facility useful? If not, I shall disable it (this does not automatically delete VMs from the database, but the messages are no longer visible and no new messages can be posted).

Please object NOW if you want VMs to continue.
    Just for clarity's sake, I'm assuming that Private Messaging will not be disabled - is that correct?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Just for clarity's sake, I'm assuming that Private Messaging will not be disabled - is that correct?
      That is quite correct.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

I've never had a Visitor Message!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post
          I've never had a Visitor Message!

Nor have I - but that's because I disabled it for myself.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Ive no objections, as i never received any, either!! As long as PMs are not affected.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

As you know ff I will never use it again and think it a good idea Private Messages are useful though IMO.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                I second the honourable member
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

As long as Private Messages (very helpful IMO) are possible I haven't got any objection against disabling Visitor messages

Comment

• antongould
                    • Nov 2010

No objection from me, although I will perhaps be just a little sad to see the one in which salymap terms me "...a genius..." go!

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                      salymap terms me "...a genius..."
                      I don't be-lieve it!

Comment

• salymap
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

ff When I joined these boards someone sent me a VM and I replied to it. I assumed they would be deleteable but they are not, by me anyway. I didn't realise PM were 'there' until later.

Anton, I'll repeat it on PM if it makes you happy.

ff the remark to anton refers to 'Alphabet Associations' which I can't begin to solve these days.
                        Last edited by salymap; 26-09-11, 06:10.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                          ff When I joined these boards someone sent me a VM and I replied to it. I assumed they would be deleteable but they are not, by me anyway. I didn't realise PM were 'there' until later.

Anton, I'll repeat it on PM if it makes you happy.

ff the remark to anton refers to 'Alphabet Associations' which I can't begin to solve these days.
                          saly

It is possible for me to delete every VM you have posted. And you can delete your own and edit any on your profile page. But it does seem a general problem (not just on this forum) with people under the impression that they are having 'private' conversations. The profile pages can only be accessed by registered members who are logged in, but privacy is only assured in PMs.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

ff Please delete the one I mentioned to you in a PM and the others if you are able to and it's not too much trouble.

I had no idea I was opening such a can of worms. Sorry.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                              ff Please delete the one I mentioned to you in a PM and the others if you are able to and it's not too much trouble.

I had no idea I was opening such a can of worms. Sorry.
                              You want ALL your own VMs deleted?

Comment

Working...
                              X