• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Outage today (Thurs 25 aka 26)

Not sure that FutureQuest are completely on top of their current problem as I still can't get to their website www.futurequest.net. But at least our server is up for the moment. If you can get to their status page (there was a wobble a day or so ago, just for our server) it should show if the problem is limited to our server - EVANGELION. Not possible to check if their page isn't loading
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Not sure that FutureQuest are completely on top of their current problem as I still can't get to their website www.futurequest.net. But at least our server is up for the moment. If you can get to their status page (there was a wobble a day or so ago, just for our server) it should show if the problem is limited to our server - EVANGELION. Not possible to check if their page isn't loading
    This is the third one in a short space of time. Getting a bit worrying now!
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

FF - what calendar are you on ? all my network locked clocks tell me it is the 26th Nov and a Thursday ?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        This is the third one in a short space of time. Getting a bit worrying now!
        It is - but it is also very unusual. We have been operating for ten years with them. It isn't a problem with the forum software so there's not a lot we can do about it - other than shut up shop completely and restart with a new forum somewhere else. That would seem to be a sledgehammer solution.

Think of it as a good opportunity to go away and do some of the jobs that have been put off for years!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

It is - but it is also very unusual. We have been operating for ten years with them. It isn't a problem with the forum software so there's not a lot we can do about it - other than shut up shop completely and restart with a new forum somewhere else. That would seem to be a sledgehammer solution.

Think of it as a good opportunity to go away and do some of the jobs that have been put off for years!
          Possibly not as many as there were before lockdown?
          My eyes aren't too good today and I read the title as outrage... Not actually what I felt I hasten to add, which was more disappointment and concern in equal measure.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            Not actually what I felt I hasten to add, which was more disappointment and concern in equal measure.
            I'll have a word with Mark when he gets up c. 4pm. He's probably been sleeping through it all, but seems to be on first name terms with the various engineers.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
              FF - what calendar are you on ? all my network locked clocks tell me it is the 26th Nov and a Thursday ?
              That one. The day before Wednesday 23rd

Comment

• FFAdminMKS
                Administrator
                • Nov 2010

Mark here… :-)

It's Thanksgiving here, so things are a little slow. Skeleton staff?

I see from the FQ server status page that one of their servers is completely down. If we're on that one, it would account for things.

I've just opened a ticket to ask.

It is extremely unusual: they're one of the most reliable service providers in the world, actually; I doubt that we've had more than half a dozen instances of downtime since we started using them in 2003, when FoR3 was launched.

PS it seems as though it might be being resolved… just looked again to get the link :-)
                Last edited by FFAdminMKS; 26-11-20, 18:25.
                --
                Administrators

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Oh, it's you, Mark. I thought we'd been hacked when I saw FFAdminMKS

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Glad this up and running!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Perhaps this explains more - https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...bc2_story.html

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        Perhaps. Paywall. I subscribe to the New York Times, not the Washington Post.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Perhaps. Paywall. I subscribe to the New York Times, not the Washington Post.
                          Basically deals with the Amazon cloud services outage. I doubt it's that relevant to our particular outages, including this morning's (27th). (I went for the free limited perusal option, making sure to clear out cookies immediately upon leaving the site.)

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Basically deals with the Amazon cloud services outage. I doubt it's that relevant to our particular outages, including this morning's (27th). (I went for the free limited perusal option, making sure to clear out cookies immediately upon leaving the site.)
                            I get the email updates every day (usually about three) and if I see a story that interests me I look for it on another site eg one of the US public broadcasters. I like the New York Times because it also gives a good look at the rest of the world, especially the UK, from the US standpoint. WP probably better for US news.

I was a bit nervous this morning because my for3 Questmail address was offline which is usually the herald of Big Trouble. But it cleared pretty quickly. Everything green and smiley this morning. And if you scroll down, Evangelion had 99.58% uptime this month.

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I'm not convinced by your arguments - though there could be a coincidence. The article makes it clear that AWS is a very major service provider, and has an impact on many other sites and enterprises, both within the USA and elsewhere. It's very much more than plausible that the AWS outage was a significant factor - but I will accept that there could be a coincidence possibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X