Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ

You could go 'modern' with a gradient:

The above is a simple red to white gradient - if you google colour gradients, you will find sites that will produce custom gradients between any two nominated colours, from which you can take the whole or a cut slice to use as a background colour. Note however that on the dark end of the gradient you will need light colour lettering, and dark colour lettering at the lighter end of the gradient.

Greyscale gradients offer tasteful accompaniments to red gradients.

Russ

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Some of the blocks already have a scaled colour (the header and the sidebar, for example) built in which works automatically. But it seems to be in a different location from the ordinary StyleVars which is flummoxing me a bit. StyleVars are idiot-proof and just allow you to enter the colour you want. I think the gradients are part of the code (which I don't do...).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Estelle
        • Nov 2010

French Frank,
        Why not try the less intense cinnamon (which I find pleasant) or the color of the "Contact Us" box at the bottom of the page? I agree that the red is strong for people who read the threads at length.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I confess to being stubbornly wedded to 'R3 red' but this will need some adjustment (our current red is 'redder', so it might help to dull it down a bit).

I'm also advised that the software is so clever it will expand the header to fit the title graphic so I'll be trying to do something more eye-catching with that.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I like the red on this and find it easy to read the white print on it. Some places and magazine pages are impossible for me to read as the print disappears into the background. Just my opinion though.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I confess to being stubbornly wedded to 'R3 red' but this will need some adjustment (our current red is 'redder', so it might help to dull it down a bit).

I'm also advised that the software is so clever it will expand the header to fit the title graphic so I'll be trying to do something more eye-catching with that.
              There is evidence that the most common form of colour-blindness is red-green. I do not have this condition so I do not know how it might hinder my use of this forum, or not.

Could someone who does have red-green colour-blindness perhaps let us know if the overall redness of this forum causes them any difficulty please?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Red is widely acknowledged to be an aggressive colour; one which promotes disharmony and contumely. I would prefer cool blue or calming green.

Comment

• Anna

I like the red because it is linked to Radio 3, (the purpose of this MB) maybe it could be a bit more salmon pink, or even, fuschia, or is that a little too daring? Blue is boring (all off the peg fora are blue and attract Nerds because they feel comfortable with polyester) and green, quite frankly, unless bottle green, is totally boring. Red is not aggressive at all, but really positive and vibrant.

Comment

• Hitch
                    • Nov 2010

The current colour is a little harsh on my eyes. I'd prefer a less full-bodied red; a rosé, perhaps?

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      I like the red because it is linked to Radio 3, (the purpose of this MB)
                      I didn't appreciate that radio 3 was a colour. Are you by any chance a synaesthetist?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                        Red is widely acknowledged to be an aggressive colour; one which promotes disharmony and contumely. I would prefer cool blue or calming green.
                        though this is all conditioned anyway , try looking at what different people associate with different colours (Skryabin et al ) and you will see what a huge divergence of opinion there is
                        I quite like the red (on my computer at least)

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                          Are you by any chance a synaesthetist?
                          No, just an anaesthetist. AKA I have the power to put people to sleep very easily!

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

I'm not very particular about colours (except I don't particularly care for bright pastels - unnatural what). Green is perhaps the most pleasant colour. It is the glaring white backgrounds introduced with "Windows" that I cannot abide. I was brought up with black computer screens and green or yellow letters (large, easily legible, and perfectly formed), and see no convincing reason to change.

But the Americans who invented "Windows" seem to have have the childish idea that if it is text it should look like a sheet of paper, and so they made white the default background. I expect in twenty-five years' time they will be sued by millions of typistes whose eyesight is becoming dodgy, and serve them right (the aforesaid Americans I mean).

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

I'm still experimenting with colours ...

The red has been dulled down, the pink needs further adjustment. I'm working on something rather bold for the header

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Thanks, FF. I still have this rather old-fashioned view that what is actually WRITTEN is more important than the colours, and anything that helps highlight the actual words here would get my vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X