• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Thanks, FF. I still have this rather old-fashioned view that what is actually WRITTEN is more important than the colours, and anything that helps highlight the actual words here would get my vote.
    True, o, king! But it's also important to make the site easy on the eye for reading (I do like the new R3 site - pity I don't visit it half as much as I used to when they had the messageboards).

The pink looks pretty dreadful aesthetically now. I ought to be working on it behind the scenes and launch it when it was all finished, but the child style that I created refused to respond to my commands .

Another suggestion would be to make the text a bit darker - not necessarily black.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

On my screen the red is now maroon and the pink, well, it's Ointment Pink, aka Germolene! A slight darkening of the text (but not black) would be good as it's rather too grey.

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Most of mine has turned maroon (claret) which is much more restful on the eyes to the old glare.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
          Most of mine has turned maroon (claret) which is much more restful on the eyes to the old glare.
          If you have a digital colour meter, the reading should be almost exactly the same as the R3 red. The 'Germolene' does seem to affect the look of the red and make it more maroon but different browsers will display differently anyway.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anna

It's changed again ....... the Germolene is more of a Cherry Yoghurt and the maroon is not quite so brown, but, it probably is just me, the effect is rather Gothic and gloomy?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              It's changed again ....... the Germolene is more of a Cherry Yoghurt and the maroon is not quite so brown, but, it probably is just me, the effect is rather Gothic and gloomy?
              Nothing to do wi' me, guv. I made the text darker (but not black) but haven't yet worked on the header. I'm testing with the bar right at the bottom of the page. That's changed colour, but it still isn't right

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I thought the maroon or brown [not sure now] was okay but the pink looks like tinned salmon to me.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  I thought the maroon or brown [not sure now] was okay but the pink looks like tinned salmon to me.
                  Tinned salmon?

Yum!

But only affordable for high tea on Sunday, surely

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Yes am 51 with tinned fruit salad to follow and my mum's wonderful home made sponge cake.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                      Yes am 51 with tinned fruit salad to follow and my mum's wonderful home made sponge cake.

My Nain (Welsh grandmother) always made a sort of upside-down pineapple cake for Sunday high tea when we visited because my brother had once mentioned that he liked it

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

I just wish it wasn't any kind of red / claret / pink or whatever.
                        I know the link with R3 colours, but this is US, and I wish we had something a bit easier on the eye.

But OK, that's just me. I give in. Reluctantly.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I feel rather like Dan Hill when he came on to the old BBC boards to explain the new reversioned R3 website (the one that was baptised the 'Playschool' design). He was met with a hail of sticks, bottles and bricks. I feel that's what will happen when I set my new header design in place .... Or there will be total silence because everyone is too kind to say anything

Comment

• Anna

I thought, earlier on, there was a pale yellow block beneath the now dark chocolate stripe which made it look rather like an old school tie (possibly Merchant Taylor's?) But that seems to have gone so it's resembling Neapolitan Icecream at the moment .......

Looking forward to tomorrow's colour scheme!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              Looking forward to tomorrow's colour scheme!
                              Well, I've done a mock-up of the whole header - but the red needs further adjustment, less red, more brown.

Comment

• marthe

I like the brown of the mock-up. The letters in white of the upper right-hand side read much better against a brown background.

Comment

Working...
                                X