• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    The difference being that there are no practical difficulties for the audio equivalent, given the existence of recordings
    But it's not a question of 'availability' or not. People are effectively deprived of them if they are unaware of their existence; they don't know what to look for in the first place. Everything is swamped by mass entertainment, massively promoted. Whatever happened to 'inclusion' suddenly?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post

But it's not a question of 'availability' or not. People are effectively deprived of them if they are unaware of their existence; they don't know what to look for in the first place. Everything is swamped by mass entertainment, massively promoted. Whatever happened to 'inclusion' suddenly?
      Sorry, I should have expanded that a bit. I was meaning that given the ease of providing access to music, those whose job it is, supposedly, to draw attention to that wealth and breadth, have no excuse for not doing so. Whereas for the museum curator it is very much more difficult.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

How did Sir Stephen produce that unusual piano sound referred to by Anna Lapwood as like a Cimbalom, I thought something had gone wrong with the piano.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I guess we're just too stubborn - or too smart - to tamely like what we've been told we'll like. The relentless hyping of the Proms has been a real pain.
          At population level ,on other issues, we are all too tame and submissive.
          I can understand why career broadcasters think the R3 might be similar.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Wonder if it’s partly financial ? Sold out Sam Smith and Florence reducing the subsidy. I am rather baffled by late night classical proms much of the audience won’t want to be out that late especially on public transport .

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              How did Sir Stephen produce that unusual piano sound referred to by Anna Lapwood as like a Cimbalom, I thought something had gone wrong with the piano.
              This is a good explanation

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                ... thank you very much for that : I have wondered about that for years, and , yes, assumed it was by playing higher notes as harmonics - lovely to have the full explanation.

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

Many thanks, it's a startling effect and I can't think of any other examples in the repertoire.

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

At population level ,on other issues, we are all too tame and submissive.
                      I can understand why career broadcasters think the R3 might be similar.
                      Exactly. Production values are orientated to short runs to maximise short-distance purchasing before cometh the next crash. There's no better way to illustrate the constraints of and on capitalism, and how it forms and cyclically re-shapes tastes, fashions, etc. And people wonder why poor quality cheap merchandise ends up in landfill, and better stuff in charity shops. Funny way to run a world!

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Yes - but can we do that at home?

Maybe only works on certain pianos, or with some outstanding pianists.

Get practising!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Yes - but can we do that at home?

Maybe only works on certain pianos, or with some outstanding pianists.

Get practising!
                          Tried it on The Yamaha U1 . The right hand sixths are tricky but not that hard but difficult to get that pianissimo on the upper notes of an upright with a very bright treble. Having played their top grand at their showroom I’m pretty sure it would work on that . Couldn’t believe the control you got dynamically on that.

a bad workman always blames etc…

Comment

• oliver sudden
                            • Feb 2024

Gosh, that’s basically what happens in Bolero when the horn has the tune with the piccolos on top…

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Tried it on The Yamaha U1 . The right hand sixths are tricky but not that hard but difficult to get that pianissimo on the upper notes of an upright with a very bright treble. Having played their top grand at their showroom I’m pretty sure it would work on that . Couldn’t believe the control you got dynamically on that.

a bad workman always blames etc…
                              "My father was a toolmaker".

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

"My father was a toolmaker".
                                To which I always feel like asking “Yes .but was he any good at it?”

Comment

Working...
                                X