X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Could you clarify what the BBC fails to provide for a putative R2 listener?
    There’s only a tiny amount of Jazz , Folk , Broadway Musical , Great American Songbook , light classical , big band , brass band , cinema organ , popular choral , - all genres that had shows devoted to them or were played as part of the daily mix .They’ve either been dropped or shoe horned into a reluctant Radio 3 .

Its time to storm the (Alexandra ) Palace gates …

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

I watched the Proms HIghlights Mish Mash last night. Some of it was good, and enjoyable, but some just plain atrocious. The sudden switch from part of Beethoven 5 to a somewhat "different" version - may be clever video editing technique - but I could do without it. I suppose out of so many concerts if people really want to have concerts with pop music, and disco music, then the odd one or two might not be unreasonable. I would rather have had jazz though, and I certainly wouldn't want to encourage too many of those popular events. However I mean to take some time [maybe not a lot] to watch the Florence and the Machine one - as I have no idea what that is, but when I was trying to get tickets for the Proms I wanted to go to, it seemed clear that Florence et al was going to sell out very fast. So I'm just curious to see what the fuss was about.

Also, with that degree of interest, were there any shenanigans similar to the recently commented upon goings on with Oasis?

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Could you clarify what the BBC fails to provide for a putative R2 listener?
        Music that has stood the test of time, such as The Great American Songbook, the Age of Swing, a lot of mainstream jazz, 'pop' music from the 50s and 60s and 'light' and 'light classical' music. In other words, the sort of music that no longer seems to have a home on the BBC with the honourable exception of Friday Night Is Music Night. If the BBC doesn't play it, it can then claim that nobody's listening to it and therefore nobody wants it.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
          There’s only a tiny amount of Jazz , Folk , Broadway Musical , Great American Songbook , light classical , big band , brass band , cinema organ , popular choral , - all genres that had shows devoted to them or were played as part of the daily mix .They’ve either been dropped or shoe horned into a reluctant Radio 3 .
          Yet from what I can tell 6 Music is quite narrow in its range. That could be because I don't actually appreciate the huge differences, I suppose. Just as I could see Broadway and GAS as related genres, And perhaps occasional overlap between brass band, big band and jazz-ish. But you're right:. And radio now is gradually less and less differentiated, presenter-led slabs of mixed-genre because music is just music.

Its time to storm the (Alexandra ) Palace gates …
          Been there, done that, got the scars.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

It’s amazing, to me, that a fine pianist like Sir Stephen Hough is playing ONE MOVEMENT of a concerto!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              It’s amazing, to me, that a fine pianist like Sir Stephen Hough is playing ONE MOVEMENT of a concerto!
              Matter of temperament? Some people are easier-going goers-with-the-flow, others are natural challengers, questioners.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Perhaps there is a view that one movement of an unfamiliar concerto is better than trotting out the whole of a "well loved" one that everyone knows - introduces something different but not too much to cope with?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

absolutely ridiculous - for a pianist who more than any other has made a case for these pieces entering the standard repertoire.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Music that has stood the test of time, such as The Great American Songbook, the Age of Swing, a lot of mainstream jazz, 'pop' music from the 50s and 60s and 'light' and 'light classical' music. In other words, the sort of music that no longer seems to have a home on the BBC with the honourable exception of Friday Night Is Music Night. If the BBC doesn't play it, it can then claim that nobody's listening to it and therefore nobody wants it.
                    Hear hear (in capitals and italics )

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Perhaps there is a view that one movement of an unfamiliar concerto is better than trotting out the whole of a "well loved" one that everyone knows - introduces something different but not too much to cope with?
                      Probably. In other words, not for people who can already cope with a whole concerto at all. This is what's so wholly exasperating about the BBC's expansion of/explosion in broadcasting hours - more of some types of content for some, but less of others.

Comment

• mikealdren
                        • Nov 2010

and we've missed record review for 2 weeks in a row, last week because its new afternoon slot clashed with a live prom and this week because it clashed with a day pf prom repeats......

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Hear hear (in capitals and italics )
                          I'm one of those people who think that future generations shouldn't be deprived of the chance to discover, and perhaps enjoy and admire, the artistry of, for example, Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Goodman and the great inter-war British Dance Bands.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

I'm one of those people who think that future generations shouldn't be deprived of the chance to discover, and perhaps enjoy and admire, the artistry of, for example, Ella Fitzgerald, Benny Goodman and the great inter-war British Dance Bands.
                            It's analogous to museums becoming so full that much of their collection has to be kept in permanent storage: people are still deprived of the chance to discover things because they don't know to look for them. The only stuff placed prominently in the public eye/ear are contemporary creations of infinitely differing quality.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

The first two are regularly on R3 ..thing is they used to be played much more often on R2 and not slap up against a Beethoven Symphony which jars and , even though I bow to no one in my love of jazz , shows the relative limitations of the genre.
                              Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 15-09-24, 10:32.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

It's analogous to museums becoming so full that much of their collection has to be kept in permanent storage: people are still deprived of the chance to discover things because they don't know to look for them. The only stuff placed prominently in the public eye/ear are contemporary creations of infinitely differing quality.
                                The difference being that there are no practical difficulties for the audio equivalent, given the existence of recordings, of the kind that face museum curators wanting to get collections on display. You can't just go and pick out a tray of items and put them in a case.
                                I would just say that as more museum collections are digitised there is greater scope for the public to access them, if in a somewhat limited form, but even the process for doing that is far removed from pulling out a recording - and depends on an army of volunteers over a very long time.

Comment

Working...
                                X