X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Thank you f f , I have found the All of Bach thread, but I don't know how to post a reply to it using your supplied information.I can't find the last post BC (before the change). Furthermore, 'All of Bach' used to be included in 'Talking About Music', which is no longer the case.

I do not score well in navigating the computer highways and byways but In the immortal words of an old teaching colleague - " Is it me or is it you?'
    I've tried to find it as well. Using FFs link gets there - but was the last post really in February, as that is how it seems? I did get the option to post a reply appearing.
    I couldn't find the thread by looking through the current Talking about Music though.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Thank you f f , I have found the All of Bach thread, but I don't know how to post a reply to it using your supplied information.
      Strange things happen, but this link gives me your last post on 19 May (with my setting it appears at the top of the page, with yours it may be at the bottom). Either way, there should be a blue Post Reply. It does seem to be in the Talking About Music forum, judging from the breadcrumbs at the top of the page: Forum > Classical Forum > Talking About Music. But 'seeming' is not the same as 'being'

https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/classical-forum/talking-about-music/10537-something-for-a-friday-all-of-bach​
      Last edited by french frank; 07-08-23, 21:25.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        It does seem to be in the Talking About Music forum, judging from the breadcrumbs at the top of the page: Forum > Classical Forum > Talking About Music. But 'seeming' is not the same as 'being'
        It's on p 4 of Talking About Music. And if you click on the subject title Something for a Friday: All of Bach it goes straight to Padraig's last post of 19 May, with the Post Reply button.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• agingjb
          • Apr 2007

How do I mark all posts as read? I do hope there is a way.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by agingjb View Post
            How do I mark all posts as read? I do hope there is a way.
            I checked on the setting, and it is correctly set already. Help info says

"Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store topic and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all topics are read, the user must view the list of topics for that forum.​"

The last bit means you click on "Mark This Channel Read" for an individual topic, at the foot of Announcements. Or for all posts "Mark All Channels Read" is what you need (bottom of homepage below the archived Proms info).

[Amended info]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

On returning to What's New? after posting, all read posts have self-marked by turning a paler shade of pink - which didn't always happen on the old forum, in fact often not at all.

Or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

It's on p 4 of Talking About Music. And if you click on the subject title Something for a Friday: All of Bach it goes straight to Padraig's last post of 19 May, with the Post Reply button.

Thank you once again f f - I've done all that now. Tomorrow is Friday - time for Bach again - see what happens!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  On returning to What's New? after posting, all read posts have self-marked by turning a paler shade of pink - which didn't always happen on the old forum, in fact often not at all.

Or am I thinking of something else entirely?
                  I clicked Mark All Channels As Read earlier today and since then the system seems to be working perfectly for me. When a thread gets a new post, the thread titles in What's New? appear in bold.

[That said, I checked this thread in What's New? and the title was in bold, indicating that my post had been added. In point of fact I had read my post. I read my post again and the thread title was unbold That's sort of right.]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I seem to be unable to reduce the number of messages in my inbox. It reads 2. On the old system the number in the box would reduce to zero once all outstanding PMs had been read.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I seem to be unable to reduce the number of messages in my inbox. It reads 2. On the old system the number in the box would reduce to zero once all outstanding PMs had been read.
                      If I read this correctly, you no longer delete them; you send them to the trash folder (left hand column). How? Drag and drop? But if that is still the case, what does the delete button do? I might have to experiment.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Serial - according to the ACP you have 123 messages in your Inbox and 76 in your Sent Box. Total 199.. They can be zapped in one fell swoop (allegedly) from the ACP.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Serial - according to the ACP you have 123 messages in your Inbox and 76 in your Sent Box. Total 199.. They can be zapped in one fell swoop (allegedly) from the ACP.
                          You either select All - a little box on the left of each post has a tick in it, and you then just click the Delete box at the top of the section, (it will ask you if you are sure you want to) - or you can select None, in which case the tick boxes are all empty, and you then just click to tick the ones you want to delete, and then click the Delete box. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Incidentally the number deleted then shows up in the Trash box - presumably permanently!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

You either select All - a little box on the left of each post has a tick in it, and you then just click the Delete box at the top of the section, (it will ask you if you are sure you want to) - or you can select None, in which case the tick boxes are all empty, and you then just click to tick the ones you want to delete, and then click the Delete box. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Incidentally the number deleted then shows up in the Trash box - presumably permanently!
                            I had a little go at this. If I remember (from last night) when you then click on the Trash folder you get an option to Delete Permanently. But as far as I can see in the ACP I still have 610 messages, 4 in Trash (deleted permanently last night). More research needed.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

I searched for "Tilbury" and it was a few 'hits' down the results. However, when trying to access the post itself, in order to reply to it, only posts in that thread posted on or after 19th May were accessible. I have sent Mandryka a PM, since I am unable to reply on Forum, as intended.
                              I think the problem is now resolved: the 'GOTO POST' link on the relevant search result should now work. (I actually did nothing; just waited until I had access to my main PC which is the only one I dare do a database reindex on, and in the interim the forum seems to have sorted itself out! )

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

I think this may have been raised already but I can't remember the response. Trying to find my recent posts doesn't bring up results that make sense. What is listed doesn't seem to be in chronological order(or at least not in relation to my posts) and isn't in any case complete, as I discovered when trying to find a post about renewing car tax. I knew I had posted, and having had a sudden bit of inspiration found the relevant thread via the general forums listing - but it wasn't in the list of recent posts results...

Comment

Working...
                                X