X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Slater
    • Mar 2007

Thread Landing Page Anomalies

I may have found the source of the inconsistent landing on the most recent page of a thread when clicking on the blue >> box in a summary view. This Anomalies thread was consistently landing at the top of page 17, when there were 18 pages. (I have my settings to put the most recent post at the bottom.) There were two 'unpublished' posts (deleted by the original poster). On deleting these posts permanently, normal operation appears to have been restored. This is clearly an undesirable state but we may have to live with it.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
      • Mar 2007

Page Numbering

I've noticed one or two posts about inconsistent or confusing page numbering.

I think the vBulletin philosophy behind page numbering is that page numbering is related to the presentation of the database search results (which is what any listing of a thread actually is). If you are using the 'last post at top' presentation, then the most recent post will be on search page 1, as it is the first search result. The original post will be on the final page, as it is the final search result. This is quite a normal way to present database search results in general.

I hope this answers the queries. If I have misunderstood the nature of the queries, please clarify and I'll investigate further.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
        I might have solved the 'What's New' problem - all recent posts should now show in the list, irrespective of whether you have read them or not, and your own posts should be included. Time will tell if it works ......
        Wonderful Andrew …. Many Thanks

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post

Wonderful Andrew …. Many Thanks
          And from me - suddenly things are so much easier.

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I've altered the Who's Online? permission, now that I've checked what information is available to Full Members: it isn't much - the names of those online, the time of last activity and in some cases what they were last looking at. For some reason, there is no information about that for a number of members, I don't know why. Anyway, the link should now work.
            That’s so kind, ff!
            in the oast, some of my posts contained ‘hooks’ baited with an eye to engaging one ir two members whom I noticed were on-line and active.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

That’s so kind, ff!
              in the oast, some of my posts contained ‘hooks’ baited with an eye to engaging one ir two members whom I noticed were on-line and active.
              Good Heavens, clickbait on the R3 Forum, whatever next!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Good Heavens, clickbait on the R3 Forum, whatever next!

A sort of anomaly but not necessarily calling for change: having set my personal Display Mode to Last Activity (instead of Posts) and ensured that Last Activity is selected (not Posts) at the top of the thread page I do get the newest post at the top (albeit that, as I answer, the window is down at the bottom, not under ooo's post), I discover that quickly selecting the Posts button up top (not changing my User Settings) I see the different view with post numbers for each post and the individual members' Title, Join Date and total no of posts. Unfortunately, that starts with the oldest first, so you have to fiddle with the page numbers.

As a thread/topic view I wonder if that would be more like home if it could be made newest at the top? Or is the overlarge poster profile box, erm, overlarge?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Can anyone confirm that the What's New? view, right-hand column shows in the Latest RAJARs thread as Aunt Daisy's post at 20.05 yesterday, with my avatar? It should show my last post from a few minutes ago.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Can anyone confirm that the What's New? view, right-hand column shows in the Latest RAJARs thread as Aunt Daisy's post at 20.05 yesterday, with my avatar? It should show my last post from a few minutes ago.
                    Yes it does.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Yes it does.
                      It does what? Show it correctly? Or show a mixed avatar?

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

It does what? Show it correctly? Or show a mixed avatar?
                        It shows your avatar on Aunt Daisy's post and is stuck at 20.05.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

It shows your avatar on Aunt Daisy's post and is stuck at 20.05.
                          Thank you. Andrew is investigating. Posting a new message there takes that thread to the top of What's New? but though the avatar/non avatar changes, AD's name and time remain. We might have to try soft/hard deleting (I don't think it's painful) AD's post.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

I see that Edits/reasons for edits now appear (having just made one to correct an original misspelling of makropulos's real life surname!).

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Today I tried to find a post from the 5th of May this year to reply to. However, when, after finding the post, there was no reply button, and trying to go to the original post took me only to May 19th. No early messages could be accessed. Please could this problem be investigated?

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Today I tried to find a post from the 5th of May this year to reply to. However, when, after finding the post, there was no reply button, and trying to go to the original post took me only to May 19th. No early messages could be accessed. Please could this problem be investigated?
                                How did you find the post?

Comment

Working...
                                X