Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Thank you… i shall stop fretting over a trivial detail.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

It's very hard to tack on to some pre-existing threads. I've been trying to find the end of either the Bargains thread, or the Charity Shop Trawl thread. Search gets somewhere, but often to the first post. Then trying to get to the end of the thread seems to just take one off somewhere else entirely.

I just wanted to mention that I've found a local charity shop which gives 4 CDs for £1 - and yes - it does have the usual trash - but also quite a lot of good stuff, with apparently a lot more being drip fed from an upstairs store. Just a pity that we don't have car CD players anymore [well only in one car] as the charity shop CDs were great for playing on long journeys. For me CDs were much more convenient than all this faff of linking up to mobile phones etc., and a 6 CD changer was really good for road trips. I suppose there may be a way to put a CD changer into a new car - I just wish that "progress" hadn't made them obsolete.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        It's very hard to tack on to some pre-existing threads. I've been trying to find the end of either the Bargains thread, or the Charity Shop Trawl thread. Search gets somewhere, but often to the first post. Then trying to get to the end of the thread seems to just take one off somewhere else entirely..
        If you find you've got the first page of a thread and want the end, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the number that's the opposite of the one highlighted. For instance if it says the page you are on is number 10 when in reality it's the beginning of the thread(so should be numbered 1) then click on number 1, which should get you to the end(which should be numbered 10), ie the most recent activity and the bit you want.
        Hope that makes sense - rather difficult to describe but I can't show you!
        It's hard to see why it should make such heavy weather of numbering pages correctly - after all such simple but time consuming ordering and numbering was one of the big selling points of early computers I seem to recollect...

Due to the rather odd way new posts are displayed initially, this post has come up directly under an earlier one of mine where I mention this errant numbering problem. and also true to form the page number displayed currently is 1, not 17 as it should be...

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
          Thank you… i shall stop fretting over a trivial detail.
          I've altered the Who's Online? permission, now that I've checked what information is available to Full Members: it isn't much - the names of those online, the time of last activity and in some cases what they were last looking at. For some reason, there is no information about that for a number of members, I don't know why. Anyway, the link should now work.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            It's very hard to tack on to some pre-existing threads. I've been trying to find the end of either the Bargains thread, or the Charity Shop Trawl thread. Search gets somewhere, but often to the first post. Then trying to get to the end of the thread seems to just take one off somewhere else entirely.
            I found both of those in a matter of seconds. It's actually no different than it would have been on the old forum. 'Bargains' is a sub-forum of the Record Review topic and a quick click on the last post blue icon takes you straight to the end.

It's much same procedure for the 'Charity Shop Trawl' thread, also in Record Review.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

I found both of those in a matter of seconds. It's actually no different than it would have been on the old forum. 'Bargains' is a sub-forum of the Record Review topic and a quick click on the last post blue icon takes you straight to the end.

It's much same procedure for the 'Charity Shop Trawl' thread, also in Record Review.
              Ah - I see now. it is different from the previous system. In the previous system where there were numbers representing [typically] groups of 10 or so posts e.g 25, 26, 27 etc. there were also "buttons" for First and Last. Those are now missing.

However you are pointing out that it is relatively easy to get to the relevant sections using different icon buttons even in the newer system - but it is less transparent than previously.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                • Mar 2007

I might have solved the 'What's New' problem - all recent posts should now show in the list, irrespective of whether you have read them or not, and your own posts should be included. Time will tell if it works ......

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                  • Mar 2007

'What's New?' now also works if you're not logged in.

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                    I might have solved the 'What's New' problem - all recent posts should now show in the list, irrespective of whether you have read them or not, and your own posts should be included. Time will tell if it works ......
                    Thanks! I noticed that this was happening occasionally, almost randomly. Hopefully it'll work now, as you say.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I might have solved the 'What's New' problem - all recent posts should now show in the list, irrespective of whether you have read them or not, and your own posts should be included.
                      Just checking Yes, that worked!
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                        • Mar 2007

I've also disabled the emoji menu item above the text box, as they don't work. (The '?' problem.) Smilies can be used instead.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

'What's New?' now also works if you're not logged in.
                          It does. Hoorah and many thanks.

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

I've also disabled the emoji menu item above the text box, as they don't work. (The '?' problem.) Smilies can be used instead.
                            Thank you, Andrew.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              If you find you've got the first page of a thread and want the end, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the number that's the opposite of the one highlighted. For instance if it says the page you are on is number 10 when in reality it's the beginning of the thread(so should be numbered 1) then click on number 1, which should get you to the end(which should be numbered 10), ie the most recent activity and the bit you want.
                              Hope that makes sense - rather difficult to describe but I can't show you!
                              Another workaround which is potentially more straightforward is if, for example, you are at page 1 of a 150 page thread, type "150" in the Page number box at the top of the page. This should (in fact, does!) take you to the final page.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Another workaround which is potentially more straightforward is if, for example, you are at page 1 of a 150 page thread, type "150" in the Page number box at the top of the page. This should (in fact, does!) take you to the final page.
                                I didn't suggest that route as in the beginning of this process I had problems with making that number box work, so I found an alternative, but if it does now work then yes that would be more straightforward.

Comment

Working...
                                X