X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I think Andrew will be able to sort this. I've been looking over at the vB forum and there are many posters who seem to want to get back to the good old list of all the latest posts on the various topics. What's New? is apparently Which Topics are New not Which Posts are New. I think it needs either new code or something else beyond my pay grade. I succeeded in getting a This Page Does Not Exist message but didn't think people would find that an improvement
    I've ended up doing a pic'n'mix approach to searching - looking through the basic forum list to see if anything's been added, trying a What's New click, and also then trying a Latest Activity click once I've narrowed the choices down and chosen a thread.
    Can't see that's an improvement on the old simple list arrangement, but getting folk to make multiple choices does seem to be part of the way things are done these days. I can't be bothered with such faffing, and discussing this at work in connection with a new online events calendar which requires multiple clicks to get one bit of information (and that's assuming you find the right link to start the search...)it would seem I'm not alone.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

yeah ooo, clickity click eh? ,,,,bingo....we get there in the end by circuitous routes....

Look upon the whole thing as a bonding exercise....
      Last edited by eighthobstruction; 21-07-23, 18:35.
      bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        yeah ooo, clickity click eh? ,,,,bingo....we get there in the end by circuitous routes....
        But sometimes on the way I forget where I was going or, if I do reach the right destination, can't remember how I got there for future reference - not least as going round in circles is disorientating...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          eighthobstruction commented
          Editing a comment
          testing to see if i can write on your post....Ah a method of placing facetious remarks on other peoples posts....up close and personal....
      • Andrew Slater
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        Just joined again via Anouncements still saying Andrew Slater on page 3, but with my icon....
        It's the forum's revenge on me for moving it to the new server and pulling it about - it's drawing attention to my stupid post.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          eighthobstruction commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh really....I must read it sometime ha ha....
      • kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Andrew - Is there any option to inrease the font size? I find it rather small - smaller than in Vbulletin, I think - but haven't found an option to change it.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          Andrew - Is there any option to inrease the font size? I find it rather small - smaller than in Vbulletin, I think - but haven't found an option to change it.
          Kernel - don't you have that option on your computer? For a Mac it's just CMD + (until you reach the size you find comfortable). Isn't there a similar Zoom function for Windows?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Kernel - don't you have that option on your computer? For a Mac it's just CMD + (until you reach the size you find comfortable). Isn't there a similar Zoom function for Windows?
            Control +mousewheel does it

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

Control +mousewheel does it
              Or, if you will excuse the expression, you can use the two-fingered approach on a touch-pad or the screen, if either of such facilities are available.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Forget It (U2079353) View Post
                If you bookmark the following link it takes you directly to What's New

https://www.for3.org/forums/search?s...ssage%22%5D%7D
                But it's only of use if you are logged in otherwise you just get a form to complete for an advanced search - and whether that works if you aren't logged in I don't know as I haven't bothered trying it out - quicker just to log in and get results.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                  • Jan 2014

As well as Gurenemanz's practice (before, mousewheel) if using keys is your practice then in WindowsPC, Ctrl with + (or -) varies the size of text etc on a web page. (I feel lucky that the transfer has gone so well - a major achievement - and I just need to get on with adjusting to what is different here).

(One Yahoo group I subscribed to, on closure of the facility, went into oblivion (with a lot of contributed information) because the "owner" said they had downloaded the data, but not being up to doing anything with it - like transferring to Groups.iO - disappeared).

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post

As well as Gurenemanz's practice (before, mousewheel) if using keys is your practice then in WindowsPC, Ctrl with + (or -) varies the size of text etc on a web page. (I feel lucky that the transfer has gone so well - a major achievement - and I just need to get on with adjusting to what is different here).

(One Yahoo group I subscribed to, on closure of the facility, went into oblivion (with a lot of contributed information) because the "owner" said they had downloaded the data, but not being up to doing anything with it - like transferring to Groups.iO - disappeared).
                    Ta muchly for this, it has made things much easier. I tend to forget that my eyes need more help these days and just battle on, which doesn't do them or me much good!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Thank you - I didn't know of that option (for Mac). It has the advantage over the 'two fingered approach' ? that it remains at the larger size when moving from page to page.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Ta muchly for this, it has made things much easier. I tend to forget that my eyes need more help these days and just battle on, which doesn't do them or me much good!
                        Another option - which think works with both Macs and Windows is to use a mouse with a scroll wheel. It's then possible to have the size of things adjusted continuously.
                        However this can cause clashes in some programs, and also with the overall screen size, so may not always be helpful.

Ah - I notice that mention has been made of the control wheels above. Some mice - such as the ergonomic ones with the wheel on the side are comfortable to use.

It can be helpful, but also confusing - as just now - when I managed to get out of this text input box and move to another web page. The point is that features like control wheel + key may interact with system level controls, or browser controls. Moving "buttons" off the screen by resizing using this method can be a pain if you're not used to that, as then it takes some time to figure out what has happened/gone wrong. Some interfaces [stupidly, IMO] manage to put useful "buttons" at all the extremities of the window or screen, so that if that get's resized or moved, those "buttons" are no longer visible - nor active!

The mouse wheels can be nice to use, but with care and awareness of system interactions.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Is there any way that a user can gain more control over the colours in this site? I am gradually getting used to the whiteness of it all, but I can barely remember what the previous site looked like - maybe someone still has a screen shot. Didn't it actually have alternating red and white sections?

I would probably like to have a somewhat more subdued overall appearance on my screen. For music in another application I have taken to having white notes on a very black background, which took me a day or two to get used to, but now I find that mostly I much prefer that.

If a degree of user control for the colours could be introduced that might be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                          X