X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Another rather futile (IMO) detail is that if you have clicked on the Latest Activity tab there is no post number in the top right-hand corner of each post. If you want to see it (and it is also a hotlink to that post, as before), you click on Posts tab instead of Latest Activity and promptly get whizzed back to the OP; but the post numbers appear. Whaaat?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      In my Account settings my e-mail address is outside the box while 'petrushka' is in the box reserved for the email address. If I remove 'petrushka', correct it and also re-enter my email address in the second box then save changes, no change is made.
      My email address is outside the only email box I see under Accounts. I don't see my username inside the box which I think is only used if you want to change the address. Then you Save Changes.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

I've just had a notification that Bryn has quoted me in a post. Surely a message isn't sent out every time someone does that - life's too short to be checking multiple message every time the forum is used!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          I've just had a notification that Bryn has quoted me in a post. Surely a message isn't sent out every time someone does that - life's too short to be checking multiple message every time the forum is used!
          I think you might be able to turn them off (they've been annoying me too). Go to User Settings > Notifications and uncheck the Discussion boxes. Just found that so don't know if it's the answer.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I think you might be able to turn them off (they've been annoying me too). Go to User Settings > Notifications and uncheck the Discussion boxes. Just found that so don't know if it's the answer.
            I'll look into it later. The initial options offered(after bossily telling me I'd already looked at everything and there was nothing else to see!) seemed at a quick glance to be all or nothing neither of which appealed.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Another rather futile (IMO) detail is that if you have clicked on the Latest Activity tab there is no post number in the top right-hand corner of each post. If you want to see it (and it is also a hotlink to that post, as before), you click on Posts tab instead of Latest Activity and promptly get whizzed back to the OP; but the post numbers appear. Whaaat?
              You got there before me. Thanks for raising the issue.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Actually, I rather like that feature; it's sometimes good to know/see that someone has responded to something you've said.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Just (I'm fairly sure....I'm getting bewildered) pressed 'whats new' and get Anomalies :Andrew Slater yesterday 16.15pm page 3....when in fact I have looked in several times and the thread now on page 5.....luckily I have a taste for the bizarre
                  Last edited by eighthobstruction; 21-07-23, 14:32.
                  bong ching

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Just joined again via Anouncements still saying Andrew Slater on page 3, but with my icon....
                    bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Actually, I rather like that feature; it's sometimes good to know/see that someone has responded to something you've said.
                      I can find that out by going to the thread, which will also show if there have been other posts, no need for the intermediary step. In the past when the little red notification has(very occasionally) appeared I've assumed it is something important and read it. If it's just going to be saying that someone has effectively replied to one of my posts then my inclination will be to ignore them - but then do I run the risk of missing something worth knowing about or that I need to know?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        .....luckily I have a taste for the bizarre
                        Is that what you call it?

I have been researching these difficulties but so far the proposed remedies haven't worked. Per ardua ad astra, innit.​

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

If it's just going to be saying that someone has effectively replied to one of my posts then my inclination will be to ignore them - but then do I run the risk of missing something worth knowing about or that I need to know?
                          You can check the box requesting notification of a PM. I think that should be back to how it used to be (and you've unchecked the Discussions notifications}. Next question: How do I send a PM?

Add: I've sent an h'important PM to see what notification you get.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

So,(I know people hate So, ....)as yet we cannot join a thread directly from Forum display/page....i.e. now displaying french france but there is no blue box to click on....

Also, When clicking on What's New the thread Anomalies is not there even though it is a thread most in use....
                            Last edited by eighthobstruction; 21-07-23, 17:08.
                            bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                              So,(I know people hate So, ....)as yet we cannot join a thread directly from Forum display/page....i.e. now displaying french france but there is no blue box to click on....

Also, When clicking on What's New the thread Anomalies is not there even though it is a thread most in use....
                              Yes, the What's New robot doesn't much like to inform us what's new!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Yes, the What's New robot doesn't much like to inform us what's new!
                                I think Andrew will be able to sort this. I've been looking over at the vB forum and there are many posters who seem to want to get back to the good old list of all the latest posts on the various topics. What's New? is apparently Which Topics are New not Which Posts are New. I think it needs either new code or something else beyond my pay grade. I succeeded in getting a This Page Does Not Exist message but didn't think people would find that an improvement

Comment

Working...
                                X