• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Do we actually want the Comments function at all (it's on by default)? According to the Administration Control Panel (ACP ) it can be turned off. Far be it from me to express a preference . If turned off we could still quote or reply (may have to use the blue Post Reply button to reply without quote: I'm not sure about that).
    As I said on t'other thread, I think the comment function is superfluous. I think it unnecessarily complicates things.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post

As I said on t'other thread, I think the comment function is superfluous. I think it unnecessarily complicates things.
      I've turned it off but this can be reversed if there's an outcry.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I've turned it off but this can be reversed if there's an outcry.
        I agree completely with JK that the 'comment' facility is superfluous and I'm happy for it to be turned off. To answer your previous question on the other thread I'm also on a laptop.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Andrew Slater
          • Mar 2007

Semi-solved. When I'm not logged in, I'm sent [sic] back to the start of this thread and a message has been posted immediately above Andrew's OP; it's actually oddoneout's No 119 in this thread (when you can see the numbers ). It has a black band above it with the text "Answer selected by Andrew Slater at 23-07-23, 07:56​". I have a suspicion it was not intentional.

All shall be clear
          And all shall be clear
          And all manner of things shall be clear

Meanwhile, I've discovered another administrative bug
          Curiouser and curiouser - I found oddoneout's post which I had apparently selected, clicked on 'edit' and it disappeared. The 'answered' status seems to have been removed, but apologies to odders if I've messed his post up.

I think we need to turn off the facility for marking posts as being selected as answers - if we can find the setting in the Admin Control Panel.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

Curiouser and curiouser - I found oddoneout's post which I had apparently selected, clicked on 'edit' and it disappeared. The 'answered' status seems to have been removed, but apologies to odders if I've messed his post up.

I think we need to turn off the facility for marking posts as being selected as answers - if we can find the setting in the Admin Control Panel.
            No need to worry on my account, but it does sound as if it's something we can do without. As you say, it isn't applicable to the way the forum is used.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I had wanted to highlight a line in a post I was responding to just now, as one could do on the old format, and found that is no longer possible. No worries: as before one can still isolate the phrase in question by cutting out the rest of the respondee post.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I had wanted to highlight a line in a post I was responding to just now, as one could do on the old format, and found that is no longer possible. No worries: as before one can still isolate the phrase in question by cutting out the rest of the respondee post.
                Like that? Highlight the part you want then click on the B (for bold). Just the same as the old system!
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                  I'll look. I found how to turn off comments (I've designed a forum favicon but can't fathom Mark's instructions for installing, or whether there can only be one one favicon for for3.org for which there seems to be a chocolate coloured square somewhere).

Hmm, according to this, the feature is disabled by default.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                    • Mar 2007

Hmm, according to this, the feature is disabled by default.
                    I probably accidentally turned it on for myself. Will investigate when I've access to a desktop!

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Although I'm gradually getting used to this version there are still things which trip me up. The order of numbering for pages of a thread varies, sometimes page 1 is newest sometimes oldest - which causes confusion to this brain unless I've noticed/remembered before reading.
                      However something which I'm still finding tiresome and can see no reason for it happening is when a topic disappears off the "What's New" list once read - just because I've read something doesn't mean I don't want to see it, or the posts that appeared with it, again that session. Again, my brain gets a bit bothered as something I thought was there suddenly isn't. The old forum left things listed but used bold to indicate new items; a good system as it was possible for new posts to have appeared on "old" threads below the updated threads, even if the system reckoned there was nothing to see.

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        However something which I'm still finding tiresome and can see no reason for it happening is when a topic disappears off the "What's New" list once read - just because I've read something doesn't mean I don't want to see it, or the posts that appeared with it, again that session. Again, my brain gets a bit bothered as something I thought was there suddenly isn't. The old forum left things listed but used bold to indicate new items; a good system as it was possible for new posts to have appeared on "old" threads below the updated threads, even if the system reckoned there was nothing to see.
                        Agreed. Although I post on the Jazz Guitar Forum where posts do disappear from the 'What's New' list so I am used to making a mental note of what section a thread appears in, I do prefer how the previous incarnation of this forum would simply take away the bold font of a thread once it had been seen.

Comment

• Master Jacques
                          • Feb 2012

​Anomaly = that this Prom 31 thread is "closed".

Otherwise, I must congratulate everyone who has worked so hard to make the new forum format so attractive and usable. Thank you.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            ....Absol bloody utely....!!!!!
                            bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

How ironic.I decided to click straight on Master Jacques' post on this thread and am presented with page 14 of 15, which in the strange vBulletin logic is the second oldest page. Quick check to confirm that my settings haven't suddenly changed and wiped the "Latest Activity" preference. Nope. Try again, same result. Eventually get there by clicking page 1 at the bottom, which brings up the most recent page, complete with MJ's post.
                              I didn't get the same result clicking on a post rather than the thread for another topic, so - Anomalies indeed.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                                Anomaly = that this Prom 31 thread is "closed".

Otherwise, I must congratulate everyone who has worked so hard to make the new forum format so attractive and usable. Thank you.
                                Is it open now? I did something but I'm not sure what

Comment

Working...
                                X