• bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 63: Choral Day (I), The Sixteen, S. Johnson / Christophers

Saturday 7 September 2024
    10:30
    Royal Albert Hall

Hubert Parry: Coronation Anthem - ‘I Was Glad'

Charles Villiers Stanford: Three Motets, Op. 38

Henry Balfour Gardiner: Evening Hymn (first performance at The Proms)

William Henry Harris: 'Faire is the heaven' (first performance at The Proms)

John Ireland: 'Greater love hath no man' (first performance at The Proms)

Charles Villiers Stanford: Eight Partsongs, Op. 127 ((first performances at The Proms)
    (a) ‘The Guest’
    (b) ‘When Mary thro’ the garden went’(3 mins)
    (c) 'To a Tree’

Edward Elgar: 'Give unto the Lord'

The Sixteen
    Simon Johnson, organ (Proms debut artist)
    Harry Christophers, conductor

For the first concert of Proms Choral Day, one of Britain’s best-loved choirs, The Sixteen, returns to the Proms under Harry Christophers for some of the most serene and spiritual choral works written in Victorian England.

Live at the BBC Proms: Harry Christophers conducts The Sixteen in English music

Starts
    07-09-24 10:30
    Ends
    07-09-24 12:00
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Am I naive to be surprised at so many familiar pieces not having been performed at the Proms before? Typical that a rare concert I want to hear clashes with a live vocal recital I'll be going to! I suspect it won't be one of the ones repeated either, as it's not an evening concert.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Am I naive to be surprised at so many familiar pieces not having been performed at the Proms before? Typical that a rare concert I want to hear clashes with a live vocal recital I'll be going to! I suspect it won't be one of the ones repeated either, as it's not an evening concert.
      But for the most part very 'niche' Choral Evensong fare, surely, and hence not something you'd particularly associate with the Proms?

Comment

• beckus
        • Sep 2024

This was a cracking hour and for me, the highlight of the season. The use of the organ was tasteful, though overpowering at times in the hall. On the relay of course it was nicely balanced. This kind of rep is right up my alley and mostly stuff which is in my bones after 50 years of choral singing. To hear it sung by a crack team with a crack organist was a delight. How it banished memories of flat sopranos, wheezy altos, truculent tenors and plodding basses with their noses firmly in their copies! Each item was a polished jewel of tone, technique and joy. Brilliant stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X