X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post

I was thinking about this. Kertesz did a very well regarded Bruckner 4 with the LSO. I'm sure there's plenty of Horenstein too. I know Colin Davis recorded the 9th on the LSO Live label.
    Haitink did 4, 7, 8 and 9 with the LSO with 4 and 9 appearing on the LSO Live label.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• LHC
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Haitink did 4, 7, 8 and 9 with the LSO with 4 and 9 appearing on the LSO Live label.
      Colin Davis also recorded 6 and 9 on LSO live.

I don't recall Gergiev attempting any Bruckner with the LSO, so we were at least spared that. It wasn't until he took over in Munich that he turned his attention to Bruckner.
      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Prommer
        • Dec 2010

I know he was 200 yesterday, so it's topical, but anyone think old Anton is due for a revival of interest? In times when people crave meaning and some kind of affirmation, but have an appetite for complex and varied routes to it?

I read somewhere he goes down badly in America. Less so in Europe...

Comment

• Prommer
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post

Colin Davis also recorded 6 and 9 on LSO live.

I don't recall Gergiev attempting any Bruckner with the LSO, so we were at least spared that. It wasn't until he took over in Munich that he turned his attention to Bruckner.
          Ah yes - that makes sense. Thank you.

Comment

• Prommer
            • Dec 2010

Nice 'general listener' Bruckner appreciation from Tom Service now...

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Thomas Adès: Aquifer (UK premiere)
              A recent work by Thomas Adès, once the white-hot hope of British music now in receipt of a rainbow of opinion, performed by Sir Simon Rattle friend and Champion of the composer with the outstanding Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra. Aquifer a spring of fresh water or 'same old, same old'?

Well, 'old' applies, nothing in these 16 minutes to frighten Shire horses. It's scoring was impeccable: Rattle and his band ensured that textures were clear and legible. It is an accessible work which balances counterpoint with harmonic material. Some slides give a poignant twist introducing a quiet, anxious section. Memories of distant storms jostle for attention with fairground music. The music settles and sounds worn down. The early scalic material dominates a slow, long coda that displaces dissonance with consonance and gradually discovers a tonal centre through wind, aggression and a final slide into... was it, 'C'?

Aqiver delivered gushing, old water into recycled bottles.

Sir Simon Rattle presented the Royal Phlharmonic Society's Gold Medal to 'Tom'b Adès. Simon sounded emotional and Tom was an embarrassed Gruffalo.

Oh dear, the interval is dominated by Tom Service talking over Locus Iste. TUT Tut! But.. it is a proper Studio talk. Love him or like him, Tom's knowledge of AB is masterful and disarming.

Comment

• Prommer
                • Dec 2010

Oh Lord, what version is this...

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                  Oh Lord, what version is this...
                  Long explanation from Rattle in the preamble which I won’t attempt to précis

Comment

• Prommer
                    • Dec 2010

He has shortened the finale to 're-balance' the symphony... and added six bars...

Comment

• Prommer
                      • Dec 2010

Not bad pacing and playing so far - the tempi fine if a little brisk sometimes. But he tends to miss or plough through any of the more mystical, ethereal passages, almost as if he hasn't noticed them.

No "Geist".

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                        Not bad pacing and playing so far - the tempi fine if a little brisk sometimes. But he tends to miss or plough through any of the more mystical, ethereal passages, almost as if he hasn't noticed them.

No "Geist".
                        sounds like a member of the audience is about to give up the “Geist” in the slow movement. It’s like a bronchial ward there .

Comment

• Darkbloom
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Now that you mention it, I remember he did Bruckner 4 with the LSO at the Proms. Haydn symphony in the first half, as I recall. Early 2000s, I think. I didn't know he'd recorded any with them. His Beethoven cycle was really good.

Comment

• Darkbloom
                            • Feb 2015

I remember a Bruckner 4 with Barenboim and the VPO that made me understand why they are unrivalled in Bruckner. I don't know if anyone here was there that night, but the violinist on the front desk almost seemed to be in an altered stated towards the end of the symphony. I think you have to really identify with the music at some fundamental level, which is why so many Bruckner performance miss the mark for me.

Comment

• Prommer
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
                              I remember a Bruckner 4 with Barenboim and the VPO that made me understand why they are unrivalled in Bruckner. I don't know if anyone here was there that night, but the violinist on the front desk almost seemed to be in an altered stated towards the end of the symphony. I think you have to really identify with the music at some fundamental level, which is why so many Bruckner performance miss the mark for me.
                              Yes, that was memorable... same season as the Lucerne Mahler 3?? Now we were all in an altered state after that one!

Comment

• Prommer
                                • Dec 2010

This is really not bad so far... a great orchestra. Not sure our state is going to be altered, but...

Comment

Working...
                                X