Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 58: Debussy / Stravinsky / Berlioz, Orchestre de Paris, Doulcet / Mäkelä

Tuesday 3 September 2024
    19:30
    Royal Albert Hall

Debussy: Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune
    Stravinsky: Petrushka (1947 version)

Interval

Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique, op. 14

Jean-Baptiste Doulcet, pianist (Proms debut artist)
    Orchestre de Paris
    Klaus Mäkelä, conductor

The Orchestre de Paris visits the Proms with its renowned Chief Conductor Klaus Mäkelä for a mouth-watering programme of Parisian classics: Debussy’s Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune, Stravinsky’s Petrushka and Berlioz’s Symphonie fantastique

Live at the BBC Proms: Orchestre de Paris - Philharmonie in Debussy, Stravinsky & Berlioz.

Starts
    03-09-24 19:30
    Ends
    03-09-24 21:30
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

The Debussy just finished, It was OK, where KM definitely went for the languorous spirit of the work. Per Petroc, the piano is front and center for the Stravinsky.

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Klaus Mäkelä's interpretation of Petrushka was fine: full of life, colour and excellent control of rhythms. The Paris orchestra were on top form and Klaus allowed players with solo lines time to impose a personal shape on their contributions. One of the best performances which I have heard of this early 20th century classic score.

The Debussy was less sure-footed but the first flute made a good impression.

Comment

• Prommer
        • Dec 2010

Will need to listen to this, as only came in to hear the final few minutes...

Comment

• gedsmk
          • Dec 2010

What a great prom concert that was! The Berlioz reminded me of the stunning BRSO/Jansons in 2013. Available still on Youtube. A few slips in the woodwind but who cares. Tremendous stuff!

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
            What a great prom concert that was! The Berlioz reminded me of the stunning BRSO/Jansons in 2013. Available still on Youtube. A few slips in the woodwind but who cares. Tremendous stuff!
            Yes, indeed: the best Berlioz that I've heard in this century. The only movement that didn't thrill me was the Ballroom scene which lacked the complete package of swirl and glitter. Elsewhere, speeds were sensible and the mood and character of the music were splendidly captured.

Comment

• Germanist
              • Sep 2024

Listening on line I thought the Stravinsky and Berlioz sounded very refined and polished, but often lacking in real visceral excitement. Did anyone else feel that, or was I just not registering something important?

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Germanist View Post
                Listening on line I thought the Stravinsky and Berlioz sounded very refined and polished, but often lacking in real visceral excitement. Did anyone else feel that, or was I just not registering something important?
                I agree with your assessment on the Stravinsky in particular. The Berlioz was considerably more engaging, at least to me. In general, KM's readings are fairly neutral and don't draw attention to themselves, and this whole concert fit that overall ethos.

Comment

• duncan
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Germanist View Post
                  Klaus Mäkelä is good-looking and was wearing a beautifully tailored dinner jacket but is not my type nor that of my consort for the evening. Similarly, I could admire the music-making but it left me a bit cold for some reason. My loss I'm sure.

Comment

• Prommer
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by duncan View Post

Klaus Mäkelä is good-looking and was wearing a beautifully tailored dinner jacket but is not my type nor that of my consort for the evening. Similarly, I could admire the music-making but it left me a bit cold for some reason. My loss I'm sure.
                    Thanks for sharing…

Comment

• alywin
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
                      What a great prom concert that was! The Berlioz reminded me of the stunning BRSO/Jansons in 2013. Available still on Youtube.
                      IS it? Thank you for that piece of information

Comment

Working...
                      X