• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

[QUOTE=Petrushka;n1316942]

I h.

The coughing started the moment the motets began. Who on earth goes to a concert and does that?QUOTE]

Covid?

Comment

• Prommer
      • Dec 2010

Uncle Bernie was special. Not always, but often...

Comment

• mathias broucek
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
        From the description of this performance (I wasn't there) it almost sounds like it was conducted by another bearded Russian: Gergiev
        Whilst I loved the performance, I understand the points being made by Petrushka

But it was nothing like Gergiev. Much more subtle and much better played!

Comment

• gedsmk
          • Dec 2010

From the prom area I though the first trumpet was throughout doing an impression of the first trumpet of one of those top US orchestras - i.e. far too noticeable. Trumpets and Trombones seemed over-oppressive throughout. Conversely the (just) four French horns didn't stand a chance. KP could have added some (e.g. Barenboim in that amazing video of the STK Berlin in the Philharmonie had EIGHT alongwith extra double basses and two sets of timpani!). Wand gets by with just 4 or 5 but he was a genius. I need to look for clips of Haitink. Certainly his B7 prom with the Vienna orchestra was incredible (though I'd resist the "best performance of a B symphony I've ever heard" nonsense). I have nothing but praise for the BBC Singers and Owain Park (they were having a great time in the pub afterwards as well). Just as much care and attention to Bruckner's vision as we heard from the superpower orchestra. And all for £8. remarkable!

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

[QUOTE=richardfinegold;n1316978]
            Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

I h.

The coughing started the moment the motets began. Who on earth goes to a concert and does that?QUOTE]

Covid?
            Possibly people who think they'd better clear their throats at the start of a work just to make sure that they don't need to do so half-way through and leave it fractionally too late? They're probably related to those tennis fans who seem determined to be the last to shout encouragement immediately before a player serves or in the middle of a rally.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Darkbloom
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
                From the prom area I though the first trumpet was throughout doing an impression of the first trumpet of one of those top US orchestras - i.e. far too noticeable. Trumpets and Trombones seemed over-oppressive throughout. Conversely the (just) four French horns didn't stand a chance. KP could have added some (e.g. Barenboim in that amazing video of the STK Berlin in the Philharmonie had EIGHT alongwith extra double basses and two sets of timpani!). Wand gets by with just 4 or 5 but he was a genius. I need to look for clips of Haitink. Certainly his B7 prom with the Vienna orchestra was incredible (though I'd resist the "best performance of a B symphony I've ever heard" nonsense). I have nothing but praise for the BBC Singers and Owain Park (they were having a great time in the pub afterwards as well). Just as much care and attention to Bruckner's vision as we heard from the superpower orchestra. And all for £8. remarkable!
                I remember, many years ago, listening to an interview with the leader of the Dresden Staatskapelle on R3 where he talked about the very unusual, recessed sound of the brass, and compared that to the BPO, whose players all want to be noticed. Haitink, too, used to talk about the big problem with Berlin is they always play too loud. Maybe Petrenko didn't want it that loud, he just hasn't succeeded in convincing them otherwise yet. The egos he has to deal with must be a nightmare.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                  • Apr 2014

[QUOTE=richardfinegold;n1316978]

I h.

Covid?
                  Good hypothesis Doctor . You would believe the number of people I know who’ve had it in the last month .

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Ein Heldenleben;n1317004]
                    Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

Good hypothesis Doctor . You would believe the number of people I know who’ve had it in the last month .
                    I had it in June and again in July and, believe me, if you have it you don't want to get out of bed never mind go to a Prom!
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Scampi
                      • Sep 2024

Having been in the Hall for both Berlin Proms at the weekend, and as an (amateur) trumpet player...

It was my first time seeing Berlin live, so was interested to see exactly what the famous sound was like. On Saturday in Ma Vlast, both the brass and woodwind sounded to my ears very quiet in the balance - certainly much quieter than I feel used to hearing in British Orchestras - and subservient to the string sound.

From the very start on Sunday in Bruckner, the balance sounded very different - brass much louder as many have said. I thought that was conscious choice, though could of course also be a case of trumpets having an "ave it" episode! Either way, I didn't find it too much (though I was up in the Circle, and a brass player would say that wouldn't they), though was certainly surprised they didn't have at least one bumper to make things a bit more manageable (the programme listed 5 trumpets as Orchestra members - only 2 played on Saturday, and only 3 on Sunday).

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

[QUOTE=Petrushka;n1317007]
                        Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I had it in June and again in July and, believe me, if you have it you don't want to get out of bed never mind go to a Prom!
                        Sorry to hear that. I’m talking of those who’ve had it and developed a persistent cough. There are also many people who’ve had it quite mildly like myself but didn’t go out until a neg test even though I would have been perfectly fit enough to . Though strangely I never got much of a cough or indeed fever - just a very sore throat .

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Scampi View Post
                          Having been in the Hall for both Berlin Proms at the weekend, and as an (amateur) trumpet player...

It was my first time seeing Berlin live, so was interested to see exactly what the famous sound was like. On Saturday in Ma Vlast, both the brass and woodwind sounded to my ears very quiet in the balance - certainly much quieter than I feel used to hearing in British Orchestras - and subservient to the string sound.

From the very start on Sunday in Bruckner, the balance sounded very different - brass much louder as many have said. I thought that was conscious choice, though could of course also be a case of trumpets having an "ave it" episode! Either way, I didn't find it too much (though I was up in the Circle, and a brass player would say that wouldn't they), though was certainly surprised they didn't have at least one bumper to make things a bit more manageable (the programme listed 5 trumpets as Orchestra members - only 2 played on Saturday, and only 3 on Sunday).
                          Welcome Scampi. Look forward to seeing you chipping in on the Forum!

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Welcome Scampi. Look forward to seeing you chipping in on the Forum!
                            My student son is about to move to Whitechapel. His local F&C shop is called Jack the Chipper.

In recent years I've turned up for the Berlin Phil, but this time I'll be travelling the hundreds of miles to hear the Bavarians on Friday.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post

My student son is about to move to Whitechapel. His local F&C shop is called Jack the Chipper.

In recent years I've turned up for the Berlin Phil, but this time I'll be travelling the hundreds of miles to hear the Bavarians on Friday.
                              I think we'll find that it's the better orchestra!

I believe that the 5th was Petrenko's first foray into Bruckner, a 4th destined for a couple of years ago falling victim to KP's indisposition, itself an intriguing case open to debate. In any event, the Bavarian Radio SO and the Dresden Staatskapelle are currently Germany's premier orchestras, in my view.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Keraulophone
                                • Nov 2010

I think we'll find that it's the better orchestra! In any event, the Bavarian Radio SO and the Dresden Staatskapelle are currently Germany's premier orchestras, in my view.
                                ...and in mine.

The Dresdeners have long been my favourite - a sound like old burnished gold - ever since the Sawallisch box of Schumann symphonies came out.

Comment

Working...
                                X