Prom 53: Stravinsky / Reich / Tippett / Elgar, BBC SO / Synergy Vocals, Brabbins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 53: Stravinsky / Reich / Tippett / Elgar, BBC SO / Synergy Vocals, Brabbins

Friday 30 August 2024
    19:30
    Royal Albert Hall

In memoriam Sir Andrew Davis (1944-2024)

Stravinsky: Symphony in Three Movements
    Steve Reich: Jacob’s Ladder (BBC co-commission: UK premiere)

Interval

Tippett: The Midsummer Marriage – 'Ritual Dances'
    Elgar: ‘Enigma’ Variations, op. 36

BBC Symphony Orchestra
    Synergy Vocals
    Martyn Brabbins, conductor

The BBC Symphony Orchestra remembers Sir Andrew Davis (1944–2024) in this Prom presenting the UK premiere of Steve Reich’s Jacob’s Ladder and a pair of pieces close to Sir Andrew’s heart

Starts
    30-08-24 19:30
    Ends
    30-08-24 22:00
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 22-08-24, 14:02. Reason: header presentation edit
  • silvestrione
    • Jan 2011

Tippett at the Proms! Excellent. Andrew Davis would be delighted.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Imagine if it had been Schoenberg's Jacobsleiter instead of the Reich. Now that would have made up a concert programme to remember!

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
        Tippett at the Proms! Excellent. Andrew Davis would be delighted.
        What a shame that neither Berg or Webern are good enough to feature in this year's Proms.

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Imagine if it had been Schoenberg's Jacobsleiter instead of the Reich. Now that would have made up a concert programme to remember!
          OR... Both pieces , preferably separated!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Good Stravinsky that. A superb piece of music given a very good performance. I don’t want to prejudge the Reich (ok I am ] but it strikes me that with the Tippett and the Stravinsky you couldn’t have chosen a better couple of pieces to demonstrate what modern music can do.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Poor old Ian he’s really having to fill while an endless mic sound rig goes on. Let’s hope it’s worth it .

one thing Steve Reich won’t be doing is “listening on BBC Sounds “as it’s not available outside the UK . Unless you have a VPN …

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                • Nov 2010

The text for Steve Reich's Jacob's Ladder, from this page off of his website:

"The entire text for Jacob’s Ladder is Genesis 28:12"
                "Va yachalohm

Va heenay, sulahm
                mutzav artzah

Va rosho mahgeeah
                ha shamymah

Va heenay, malachay
                Elokim ohlim v’yordim bo

And he dreamed,

And behold, a
                ladder set up
                on the Earth

and its top reached
                heaven

and behold, messengers
                of G-d ascending and
                descending on it.​"

Comment

• edashtav
                  • Jul 2012

In memoriam Sir Andrew Davis (1944-2024)
                  R.I.P.

Stravinsky: Symphony in Three Movements
                  One of my favourite 20th century symphonies. It is so rhythmic and has in its faster movements momentum and drive although the initial tempo set by Martyn Brabbins was too conservative for my enjoyment. It was good to have Martyn's great ear for analytical detail but I wanted the busyness of Modern America not Stravinsky remodelled by a clockmaker such as Maurice Ravel. The bits from strings and piano nicked from The Rise of Spring were good. The coda recalling the opening, was grandiloquent.

Onto the delicate slow movement, a veritable tapestry of prettiness: Summer Music. Oh dear, a sudden and extreme: almost sentimental slowing down, that's not proper Stravinsky! I was relieved to get back to the A section with its pulse preparing the way for reign to Tik Tok a.k.a. St. Reich.

By golly was the start of the finale tepid. Thank God, the bassoons were ready to step up a gear. Too much accuracy when I wanted a wild ride in a fast machine.
                  Oh, how much I missed Sir Andtew!

Steve Reich: Jacob’s Ladder (BBC co-commission: UK premiere

A Ladder, or Steps, maybe accompanied by pulses? Steve sets up almost-a-pulse oscillating machine on violas but as this life-affirming 18 minute piece evolves, it absorbs more baroque techniques and the pulse relaxes. The start of Reich's neo-Classical Third period? All very euphoric. What a shame Jacob's Ladder didn't overlay the staircase taking bad folk down to hell's dank, dark dungeons! Full of craft but also rather naieve. Steve Reich has been chatting to Michael Torke. I expect Commissions to shake me rigid with their hectic novelty. Heavens above!
                  The reception was less than enthusiastic.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

But all redeemed with/by the Tippett …

Comment

• edashtav
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                      But all redeemed with/by the Tippett …
                      Indeed!

Tippett: The Midsummer Marriage – 'Ritual Dances'.
                      How lovely to hear the Michael Tippett sound: so idiosyncratic: chirping woodwind birds, hieratic horns, strings providing a counter- melody, seemingly in a differing time signature. Centuries of influences all beaten into shape on the anvil of Tippett's restless imagination. All built to last : we must ask the BBC, MORE, SOON AND OFTEN, PLEASE.
                      Last edited by edashtav; 30-08-24, 21:54.

Comment

• edashtav
                        • Jul 2012

"Painted emblems of a race,
                        All accurst in days of yore,
                        Each from his accustomed place
                        Steps into the world once more.
                        Ruddigore

MARTYN BRABBINS' sympathetic and fine interpretation of Elgar's score evoked vivid and emotional memories for me.

it was my father's favourite orchestra.work as was Ruddigore his favourite Comic Opera and to my mind Elgar often tears away the weak 2-dimensional portrait of his friend to bring the person fully alive through sound. Some of his pictures dissolve at in the searchlight of approaching dawn others are gently restored too their empty frames (e.g. Nimrod)
                        Andrew Davies conducted the work at the opening concert at Aylesbury Civic Centre back in the 1970s . I was given a special ticket as the interlocutor between Conductor (High Culture) and the otherwise endowed local Councillors who had commissioned the new Hall with its execrable acoustics. Andrew was was voluble and funny as ever and Ed who was prepped to the gills with stories of Dorabella was as redundant and stiff as an oil painting. Later, I dined out...
                        The Enigma Variations has accompanied my life and in death has been played at family funerals I've had organise.

Fare ye well , Sir Andrew. You introduced to so much that I still value.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

MARTYN BRABBINS' sympathetic and fine interpretation of Elgar's score

Comment

• oliver sudden
                            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                            Poor old Ian he’s really having to fill while an endless mic sound rig goes on. Let’s hope it’s worth it .

one thing Steve Reich won’t be doing is “listening on BBC Sounds “as it’s not available outside the UK . Unless you have a VPN …
                            I don’t know about that specific gig but I have had no trouble hearing the odd BBC Sounds thing (most recently the Stasevska Sibelius 5 concert) online in Germany.

(maybe don’t tell anyone just in case that’s a hole someone hasn’t got around to plugging…)

Comment

Working...
                            X