Prom 50: Kaprálová / Dvořák / Janáček, Czech PO / Prague Phil. Choir, Fujita / Hrůša

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
    I would echo a lot of what other posters have already said. In the hall, this was as magnificent a performance of the Glagolitic Mass as any I've heard – since my very first (Andrew Davis, BBCSO, 18 November 1970 in the RFH – as a wildly enthusiastic schoolboy, aged 13 3/4 at the time, I was told off by a rather dour neighbour for being 'too enthuasiastic' at the end of that performance). Many others followed: Edward Downes with the Philharmonia, Rudolf Kempe with the RPO, Charles Mackerras with BBC forces at a Prom (tremendous – and plenty more Mackerras performances followed), Norman Del Mar (another Prom), and – among memorable later ones – Jakub Hrusa and the Philharmonia at the RFH about 10 years ago. Last night crowned them all, I think – particularly as it's a piece that's always accident prone in live performances and there were none of those last night – but all the risk-taking one could wish for. The broadcast (some of which I've listened to today) is a bit safety-first in terms of the engineering: the sheer visceral energy (and mighty weight of sound) from the orchestra, organ and the amazing choral contribution (how fabulous to hear this piece sung live by an outstanding Czech choir) seems a little softened and 'tamed'. Even so, it comes over pretty well.

It was also splendid to have the final version including the extra bars in the Svet movement (16 bars of Hosannas) which Mackerras included in his first Supraphon recording but which were omitted from the first edition (and most subsequent editions) of the vocal score as Janacek decided to cut them.

It was a total privilege to do the interval talk for this one – a joyous occasion, including one of the most refined performances I've ever heard of the Dvorak Piano Concerto, and a terrific chance to hear a live account of Kapralová's brilliant and splendidly concise Military Sinfonietta. What an evening!
    Thanks for your contribution to an excellent indeed outstanding evening.
    A sound balance can never really replicate the live one no matter how well done and last nights was very good indeed. It’s almost impossible to really reproduce a full on organ sound electronically.

I once sound assisted at an RFH relay of the Glagolitic . Sadly the only thing I can remember about it is a cellist sticking his fingers in his ears while the organist played (very loudly and with no warning ) his solo bit at rehearsal. That’s the only time you ever get to hear things live - otherwise you listening on speakers that are little better than top range domestic though of course with a thankfully unprocessed signal.

Have to say heretically I prefer the RFH organ to the RAH.

That choir were something else - being Czech speakers must make a difference.

Comment

• boesendorfer
      • Mar 2019

Would there be any mileage in lobbying the Beeb to issue it as a CD? Or alternatively leave it forever available on BBCSounds?

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by boesendorfer View Post
        Would there be any mileage in lobbying the Beeb to issue it as a CD? Or alternatively leave it forever available on BBCSounds?
        The GM has already featured as a BBC MM cover CD (Volume 17, Number 6): BBCNOW etc/Hickox (a Cardiff 2001 performance, coupled with a 2007 Proms performance of the Sinfonietta (BBCPO/Mackerras)), so unlikely via that route even if contract/copyright issues could be resolved; does the BBC issue its own recordings any more or are they done only via the likes of Wigmore Hall releases and BBC MM CDs?

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

The GM has already featured as a BBC MM cover CD (Volume 17, Number 6): BBCNOW etc/Hickox (a Cardiff 2001 performance, coupled with a 2007 Proms performance of the Sinfonietta (BBCPO/Mackerras)), so unlikely via that route even if contract/copyright issues could be resolved; does the BBC issue its own recordings any more or are they done only via the likes of Wigmore Hall releases and BBC MM CDs?
          For some reason there is a 2005 Prom with Richard Hickox that appears to be permanently available on iplayer. Regarding last night's Prom, I would strongly suspect that contract/copyright issues might scupper a permanent place on BBC Sounds.

I think that historic BBC recordings are issued via ICA Classics.

The short solution is to download it from BBC Sounds and keep it stored on your computer or transfer to CD. Regret I've no idea how to do it though I know some do.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

For some reason there is a 2005 Prom with Richard Hickox that appears to be permanently available on iplayer. Regarding last night's Prom, I would strongly suspect that contract/copyright issues might scupper a permanent place on BBC Sounds.

The short solution is to download it from BBC Sounds and keep it stored on your computer or transfer to CD. Regret I've no idea how to do it though I know some do.
            It’s not out of the question . The biggest problem is often star singers or conductors with exclusive recording contracts, I notice in the small print of the Hickox Tribute CD (the BBC MM release cited by Pulcie ) that Chandos are thanked for releasing Hickox and the BBC Phil *so they must have had some sort of contractual arrangement. If there’s already a Glagolitic around by the Czech Phil and conducted by Hrůša I can’t see them getting permission. **

*good perf that by the way

* * in bold because I cut and pasted the conductors name and can’t undo it !

Comment

• oliver sudden
              • Feb 2024

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
              aged 13 3/4 at the time
              Adrian Mole, is that you?

Comment

• jonfan
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Easy to play in real time with a program like Magix or Media Monkey and then burn on to a a cd. Loads of advice on the internet how to do it.

Comment

• makropulos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
                  Adrian Mole, is that you?
                  I couldn't resist. More accurately, I was 13 11/12 ... (birthday on 12 December)

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

Rather late to this party but, having listened to the live broadcast in lo-fi, I've now been supplied with a CD quality copy of the concert (deepest thanks as ever to my regular "dealer"), downloaded to the network server, which has allowed a proper listen at a decent volume, especially of the Mass. Difficult to imagine it being better performed, especially vocally. I much envy forumistas who were present.

Comment

Working...
                    X