Friday 23 August 2024
    19:30
    Royal Albert Hall

Lili Boulanger: D’un soir triste
    Debussy: La mer

Interval

Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3 in C major, op. 26
    Ravel: La valse
    [Encore: Prokofiev: March in B-flat major, op. 99 (first performance at The Proms)]

Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra
    Lahav Shani, pianist and conductor

Bringing his Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra to the Proms, Lahav Shani simultaneously performs and directs Prokofiev’s fiendish Third Piano Concerto! We also hear dazzling works by French composers Lili Boulanger, Debussy and Ravel

Starts
    23-08-24 19:30
    Ends
    23-08-24 21:30
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 23-08-24, 21:34. Reason: added Prokofiev encore
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Just got a couple of ideal seats for this. Not sure I’ve ever heard La Mer, La Valse or the concerto (three favourite pieces) live before, and certainly not the Boulanger; and I’ve often enjoyed Rotterdam PO recordings.

Looking forward…
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
      Just got a couple of ideal seats for this. Not sure I’ve ever heard La Mer, La Valse or the concerto (three favourite pieces) live before, and certainly not the Boulanger; and I’ve often enjoyed Rotterdam PO recordings.

Looking forward…
      Yes, I, too are excited by tonight's concert but I have one regret: Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto is a frequent visitor to the Proms and I wish the BBC had used the opportunity of a visit by a European Orchestra to import something new to the season

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Yes, I, too are excited by tonight's concert but I have one regret: Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto is a frequent visitor to the Proms and I wish the BBC had used the opportunity of a visit by a European Orchestra to import something new to the season
        You’re right - it’s been performed an incredible 29 times
        Very good La Mer that.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

I think that the Prokofiev PC3 being played and conducted is a bit of a Lahav Shani party piece. Not complaining as, as war horses go, it's preferable in my view to many others. But, yes, shame that it isn't something a bit less war-horse like.

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra
            Lahav Shani
            Lili Boulanger: D’un soir triste
            Of a sad evening was left unfinished by Lili and orchstrated in an Impressionist manner by her sister, Nadia whose own style was more spare and neo-classical. The music has an oppressive presence akin to Schönberg's Verklärte Nacht. Had Virgil Thomson named the piece he might have called it Super Sadness. Nicely played with restrained balance.

I wonder what memorial there is in Eastbourne to celebrate Debussy's productive stay in town?

The first symphonic sketch complemented Lili Boulanger's piece rather well. I liked the shaping of the cellos' repeated ground bass. Lahav Shani clearly knew and loved the score. The climax of the first sketch reminded me of how much Arnold Bax stole to forge Tintagel.

Throughout the work I was impressed with Lahav Shani's interpretation, particularly his shaping of phrases and giving the music room to breathe.

The Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra sailed through the first half in great style - memorable and idiomatic music-making.
            Last edited by edashtav; 23-08-24, 22:38.

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

La Valse
              From its ghostly pre-echo to its codal apocalypse,orchestra and conductor never failed to emphasise the insistent waltz rhythm and the swirling dresses so prodigiously swung by the proud ladies of the ball.

By the way, have any of you noticed the kinship between the opening cranking up of La Valse and Richard Rodney getting his steam leviathan to shake, rattle and roll in his score for Murder on the Orient Express?

A marvellous concert - well done EVERYBODY!

Encore Prokofiev (arr.?) March in Bb major op. 99

Comment

• edashtav
                • Jul 2012

late extra:
                Lahav Shani made the first movement of Prokofiev's oh so popular 3rd piano concerto rhythmic and full of dance. The Israeli conductor did not neglect his orchestra: there was a lovely identity between the piano and the accompanying instruments.
                On to the theme and variations: neatly turned with plenty of variety. Lahav is a double bass player and having the great string beasts across the back of the stage allowed them to shine forth and underpin the rest of the band in a regal manner.
                Plenty of delightful detail in the finale which sparkled. The slow interlude ticked like a clock and had a sense of gravitas but I've heard it sound sadder. Altogether, the best performance of the work that I've heard since the millennium.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Shani is one of Argerich’s favoured conductors . I wonder if she was originally lined up for this but pulled out Prokofiev 3 being one of her party pieces .

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I wonder what memorial there is in Eastbourne to celebrate Debussy's productive stay in town?
                    Well you can make your way to Room 200 in the Grand Hotel and stand (as I did) before the door behind which he corrected the proofs…

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

A marvellous concert - well done EVERYBODY!

Encore Prokofiev (arr.?) March in Bb major op. 99
                      It was! - from seats front stalls very near the back row of the 2nd violins, who were placed to the right of the conductor (with the 6 double basses arrayed centre back of the orchestra) - a layout I love.

Cracking concert which started very good and seemed to improve as it went on, ending up with that superlative performance of the Prokofiev March arrangement, which brought the house down.

Comment

• edashtav
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Well you can make your way to Room 200 in the Grand Hotel and stand (as I did) before the door behind which he corrected the proofs…

Thank you, Nick !

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Yes it was a remarkable concert . To conduct works of the complexity of La Mer and create that blazing sheen of orchestral sound and then to perform a very technically demanding concerto to that standard is an extraordinary achievement.
                          Once again it’s the Prom that doesn’t have the hype or the pre programme publicity is the one that delivers the musicality. No doubt Shani performed and conducted the concerto from memory and didn’t make a big thing about it.
                          Contrary to critical comments on other threads putting together the Hallé Mahler 5, War Requiem , the LPO Busoni, NYO Mahler 1 , London Symphony , Coote’s Kinderototenleider and this I think it has been a very good Proms season with the less hyped orchestras often outshining the big names.

Comment

• gedsmk
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                            Yes it was a remarkable concert . No doubt Shani performed and conducted the concerto from memory and didn’t make a big thing about it.
                            Contrary to critical comments on other threads putting together the Hallé Mahler 5, War Requiem , the LPO Busoni, NYO Mahler 1 , London Symphony , Coote’s Kinderototenleider and this I think it has been a very good Proms season with the less hyped orchestras often outshining the big names.
                            He conducted everything, apart from the Boulanger, from memory! No stick either, everything was in the hand and arm shaping, in fact his whole body danced, though somehow entirely without ego. It was great to see the DBs in a row along the back of the stage. Gives a wonderful foundation to everything. This has been a very good season especially in regard to the quality of the performances. What a great summer festival!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
                              He conducted everything, apart from the Boulanger, from memory! No stick either, everything was in the hand and arm shaping, in fact his whole body danced, though somehow entirely without ego. It was great to see the DBs in a row along the back of the stage. Gives a wonderful foundation to everything.
                              Absolutely

I can’t resist a shout-out for the trombone section (not least the third trombone! ) - what a team, ideal precision and richness, and instruments tilted high for a couple of their most sonorous contributions!

Comment

Working...
                              X