Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 40: J.S. Bach - St. John Passion, Bach Collegium Japan, Suzuki

Monday 19 August 2024
    19:30
    Royal Albert Hall

Johann Sebastian Bach: St. John Passion, BWV 245

Benjamin Bruns, tenor (Evangelist; Proms debut artist)
    Christian Immler, bass (Jesus; Proms debut artist)
    Yusuke Watanabe, bass (Pilate; Proms debut artist)
    Carolyn Sampson, soprano
    Alexander Chance, counter-tenor (Proms debut artist)
    Shimon Yoshida, tenor (Proms debut artist)

Bach Collegium Japan
    Masaaki Suzuki, conductor

The Bach Collegium Japan makes a welcome return to the Proms with conductor Masaaki Suzuki and star soloists for Bach’s concentrated depiction of Christ’s arrest, rendition and execution: the St John Passion

Live at the BBC Proms: The Bach Collegium Japan with conductor Masaaki Suzuki.
    Starts
    19-08-24 19:30
    Ends
    19-08-24 21:45
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Part I sounded very good to me (forgotten how short it is compared to Part II), granted that I am far from a JSB aficionado and am not very knowledgeable about the Passions. Fine interval discussion now between Hannah French and Joseph McHardy.

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

The chorus took a few minutes to adjust to the idiosyncratic acoustics of the RAH.
      The soloists and instrumentalists were exceptional and I relished Suzuki's varied and expressive handling of the chorale.
      The whole was nearer to semi-opera than earlier Passions. Riveting listening.

Comment

• Darkbloom
        • Feb 2015

The soloists were semi-acting, so calling it semi-opera is quite accurate. They were more facially expressive, particularly in the second half, than you usually see

The contrabassoon used was absolutely enormous. It must have been ten feet long.

Comment

• mathias broucek
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
          The chorus took a few minutes to adjust to the idiosyncratic acoustics of the RAH.
          The soloists and instrumentalists were exceptional and I relished Suzuki's varied and expressive handling of the chorale.
          The whole was nearer to semi-opera than earlier Passions. Riveting listening.
          Yes, stunning concert. Completely agree about the chorales. Some ambitious tempi and i had the feeling that at times Suzuki was keeping everyone on their toes by trying things that weren’t entirely rehearsed. Truly excellent solo singing - as you say, they acted: the bass as Jesus became wearier but then was back in full voice when he stepped out of role to be the bass aria soloist. Also, the whole thing was done in a continuous sweep with no pauses - even though the most of the soloists (except Jesus and the Evangelist) also sang in the choir and therefore had to move during introductions and postludes. Well-behaved audience too!

Comment

• Darkbloom
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post

Yes, stunning concert. Completely agree about the chorales. Some ambitious tempi and i had the feeling that at times Suzuki was keeping everyone on their toes by trying things that weren’t entirely rehearsed. Truly excellent solo singing - as you say, they acted: the bass as Jesus became wearier but then was back in full voice when he stepped out of role to be the bass aria soloist. Also, the whole thing was done in a continuous sweep with no pauses - even though the most of the soloists (except Jesus and the Evangelist) also sang in the choir and therefore had to move during introductions and postludes. Well-behaved audience too!
            The Jesus sang in the choir too, mostly at the beginning and the end. Without looking him up, I'm assuming Alexander Chance is Michael's son. It would be rather a coincidence to have two unrelated counter-tenors with the same surname. He was also very good, in fact I don't think there was a weak link.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post

The Jesus sang in the choir too, mostly at the beginning and the end. Without looking him up, I'm assuming Alexander Chance is Michael's son. It would be rather a coincidence to have two unrelated counter-tenors with the same surname. He was also very good, in fact I don't think there was a weak link.
              I looked this up for the same reason as you(bit of a chance/coincidence) and yes he is son, and appears to have made quite an impact in a short space of time.

Comment

• jonfan
                • Dec 2010

Managed to get a ticket in the circle in a packed hall.
                Agree with all the positive responses. An overwhelming experience that drew you further in minute by minute.
                To practise the very long contra bassoon high ceilings are essential in your house or use the stairwell.
                Last edited by jonfan; 20-08-24, 10:12.

Comment

• Darkbloom
                  • Feb 2015

I haven't seen this group before and had assumed they would be almost entirely Japanese. I was surprised to find that (roughly) a quarter were from somewhere else. I'm guessing mostly Germans.

Comment

Working...
                  X