Prom 33: Elgar / Holst / Stanford / Vaughan Williams, BBC SO, Maltman / Brabbins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 33: Elgar / Holst / Stanford / Vaughan Williams, BBC SO, Maltman / Brabbins

Tuesday 13 August 2024
    19:30
    Royal Albert Hall

Elgar: Overture Cockaigne ('In London Town'), op. 40

Holst: Hammersmith

Stanford (all first performances at The Proms):
    (a) Songs of Faith:
    1. 'To the Soul’
    2. ‘Tears’
    3. ‘Joy, shipmate, joy!’
    (b) ‘The Fairy Lough’

Interval

Vaughan Williams: A London Symphony (1920 version)

Christopher Maltman, baritone
    BBC Symphony Orchestra
    Martyn Brabbins, conductor

The BBC Symphony Orchestra present an all-British Prom, with Elgar’s ‘Cockaigne’ overture, Holst’s Hammersmith and Vaughan Williams’s A London Symphony featuring alongside a selection of Stanford’s songs performed by baritone Christopher Maltman

Starts
    13-08-24 19:30
    Ends
    13-08-24 21:45
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 13-08-24, 20:47. Reason: note on 1920 version of RVW
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

The Orchestral version of Hammersmith , neglected for years, is a little-known gem. I urge al lthose who think they don't like Holst to listen to it. They might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      The Orchestral version of Hammersmith , neglected for years, is a little-known gem. I urge al lthose who think they don't like Holst to listen to it. They might be in for a pleasant surprise.
      It features on this very fine Naxos CD:

Holst: Beni Mora. Naxos: 8553696. Buy CD or download online. Tim Hugh (cello) Royal Scottish National Orchestra, David Lloyd-Jones

Comment

• smittims
        • Aug 2022

Well, yes, except that that's the military band version! (you see what I mean by 'little-known?) . Fortunately there's a Chandos CD by Richard Hickox, which includes several 'littel-known' Holst works, all delightful. (though perhaps not all for those who think they dislike Holst!):

A Winter Idyll
        Cotswold Symphony
        Invocation
        Indra
        Scherzo (the only completed movement from a late symphony).

Chandos CHSA 5192

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Well, yes, except that that's the military band version! (you see what I mean by 'little-known?) . Fortunately there's a Chandos CD by Richard Hickox, which includes several 'littel-known' Holst works, all delightful. (though perhaps not all for those who think they dislike Holst!):

A Winter Idyll
          Cotswold Symphony
          Invocation
          Indra

Chandos CHSA 5192
          Apologies: I assumed that, because the whole RNSO was credited, it was the orchestrated version.
          I should have listened first!

The EMI Holst Collector's Edition version that I have is also military band: Central Band of the RAF.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

A Winter Idyll
            Cotswold Symphony
            Invocation
            Indra

Chandos CHSA 5192
            The scherzo from the apparently uncompleted symphony is simply wonderful; on the basis of it alone it's hard not to weep at the absent rest of it which Holst was apparently working on on his deathbed, and contemplate what it might have sounded like - one of musical history's great tragedies.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
              • Nov 2010

It's also available in this guise:

Gustav HOLST (1874-1934)
              A Fugal Overture op.40 no.1, H151
              A Somerset Rhapsody, op.21 No.2, H87
              Scherzo, H192
              Egdon Heath, op.47, H172
              Hammersmith, op.52, H178
              Capriccio (1932)
              London Symphony Orchestra/Richard Hickox
              rec. February, 1994 at All Saints’ Church Tooting, United Kingdom
              CHANDOS CHAN10911X [57:49]

I must admit to neglecting Hammersmith until recently, when I put it on having just given the same forces' London Symphony a hearing.

I had been under the misapprehension that it was some sort of 'appy 'ammersmith thing a la Coates. Wrong!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Further proof - were it needed - that there's much more to Holst than The Planets: Chandos CHAN 9270, which features the following works:
                Double Concerto / Two Songs Without Words / Lyric Movement / Brook Green Suite / Fugal Concerto / St Paul's Suite (Hickox/City of London Sinfonia)

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

A Winter Idyll
                  Cotswold Symphony
                  Invocation
                  Indra

Chandos CHSA 5192
                  There was a Lyrita Holst LP - LPO conducted by Sir Adrian Boult on SRCS56, which included Hammersmith.

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

Yes, the Boult was , for many years,the first and only available recording, for a work that had had to wait nearly 40 years. The military band version had been recorded by World Record Club. I must admit I found Sir Adrian's version a bit 'sober' after a wonderful performance I had on a tape, with Charles Groves conducting the Liverpol Phil.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

I realise that you (smittins) are exhorting us to hear the orchestral version; is there any sign that that's what we'll actually get in this Prom (given my confusion over the Naxos release)?
                      Last edited by Pulcinella; 03-08-24, 08:35. Reason: Better wording (I hope!).

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Yes, the Boult was , for many years,the first and only available recording, for a work that had had to wait nearly 40 years. The military band version had been recorded by World Record Club. I must admit I found Sir Adrian's version a bit 'sober' after a wonderful performance I had on a tape, with Charles Groves conducting the Liverpol Phil.
                        I have always thought of Sir Adrian as a conductor who did ‘sober’ very well! Always reliable and efficient! Uncle Bernie was in the same mould!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

September's BBC MM has just arrived, and its cover CD is all Holst: but not Hammersmith.
                          :-(

Indra
                          The Mystic Trumpeter
                          A Somerset Rhapsody
                          Four part-songs
                          Japanese Suite
                          The Perfect Fool

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

Thanks, Pulcinella, I might look that up: presumably they'll all be from BBC broadcasts.

I'm sure it'll be the orchestra version at the Prom. The only ensemble listed is the BBC S.O. and I cant see the BBC paying for a military band as well.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

Thanks, Pulcinella, I might look that up: presumably they'll all be from BBC broadcasts.

I'm sure it'll be the orchestra version at the Prom. The only ensemble listed is the BBC S.O. and I cant see the BBC paying for a military band as well.
                              Not sure if all broadcast, but certainly BBC ensembles involved, Indra being from a 2013 Prom.

Regarding Hammersmith, I take your point, but the RSNO Naxos CD I mistakenly thought of as containing the orchestral version merely mentions the orchestra, and it's only the liner notes that say 'played here in the wind-band instrumentation', so it was from that perspective that I wondered what we'd get.

Comment

Working...
                              X