Prom 30: National Youth Orchestra / NYO Inspire Musicians, A. Bloch / T. Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 30: National Youth Orchestra / NYO Inspire Musicians, A. Bloch / T. Jackson

Saturday 10 August 2024
    19:30
    Royal Albert Hall

Wagner: The Flying Dutchman – Overture
    Missy Mazzoli: Orpheus Undone (first performance at The Proms)
    Dani Howard: Three, Four AND... (BBC co-commission: world premiere)

Interval

Mahler: Symphony No. 1 in D major
    [Encore: Bizet: L'Arlésienne - Incidental Music, op. 23 - Act III: Entr'acte - 'Farandole']

The National Youth Orchestra
    Musicians from NYO Inspire

Alexandre Bloch, conductor (Wagner, Missy Mazzoli, Mahler; Proms debut artist)
    Tess Jackson, conductor (Dani Howard; Proms debut artist)

The National Youth Orchestra, comprising some of Britain’s most talented young players, performs Mahler’s anguished, ultimately triumphant Symphony No.1, alongside works by Wagner and Missy Mazzoli and a new commission from Dani Howard.

The brightest young stars in classical music take to the Royal Albert Hall stage.
    Starts
    10-08-24 19:30
    Ends
    10-08-24 21:45
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 10-08-24, 21:46. Reason: added encore
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

The NYO Prom did a very fine job in the first half of their Prom, not least with two contemporary works one after the other that would probably tax any adult orchestra. Of the latter, the Missy Mazzoli work is the grittier of the two, where the opening woodblock tick-tock put me in mind of John Adams' Short Ride in a Fast Machine, although Missy M.'s ride was much longer, and honestly rather long for its material. Orpheus Undone originated as a ballet score with the slightly different title of Orpheus Alive, so clearly the experience would be different seeing it as a fully staged ballet.

Dani Howard's new work (title corrected in the parent entry) is more "audience-friendly", at least IMVHO, and perhaps a bit of film music in search of a film. I'm not savvy enough to pick up on the intro references to the "As One" melody that was apparently the genesis of the work (and the previous title that I'd found). But again, very fine job from the kids and from Tess Jackson. The Wagner overture was a solid start, with maybe some very slight bobbles, but that's par for the course regardless of age.

PS: Curious to hear a vocal shout in the 1st movement of the Mahler. Thought that I heard some extra stage thumps in the 3rd movement. But all in good fun, and good work from the NYO. Kind of a clever way to do the Bizet encore, switching suddenly to a massive a capella rendition.
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 10-08-24, 21:48. Reason: 2nd half

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

The first half I will gloss over, pausing to say a thankful AMEN to everything our esteemed American colleague and guide, bsp, has penned.

The N.Y.O. set the stillness at the heart of a pastoral scene at the start of the Mahler symphony well. The pick-up to the main matter of the movement was a little uncertain in pace but the shaping of the violin theme was in an 'echt' Mahlerian manner. I was shocked as bspbby the speaking from the crowd as 'the fairground' was visited. The string responses to the timps in the coda could have gained by mimicking the sharp attacks of the drums
      The Scherzo started in great fashion with the lower strings in trenchant form. The trio was affectionately played on contrasting style.
      The third (Bruder Martin / Frère Jacques) movement was well etched and the orchestra brought out its youthful innocence.

The fearsome explosion that acts as an introduction to the finale was thrilling and the whole moment had brio and energy.

The French encore was the Farandole from L' Arlesienne Suite by Georges Bizet, SUNG rather than played at a tongue-twisting speed. This brilliant generation of musicians had played their last strains and the a capella singing was eventually overcome by a communal sense of release and hard-earned holiday.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
        The first half I will gloss over, pausing to say a thankful AMEN to everything our esteemed American colleague and guide, bsp, has penned.

The N.Y.O. set the stillness at the heart of a pastoral scene at the start of the Mahler symphony well. The pick-up to the main matter of the movement was a little uncertain in pace but the shaping of the violin theme was in an 'echt' Mahlerian manner. I was shocked as bspbby the speaking from the crowd as 'the fairground' was visited. The string responses to the timps in the coda could have gained by mimicking the sharp attacks of the drums
        The Scherzo started in great fashion with the lower strings in trenchant form. The trio was affectionately played on contrasting style.
        The third (Bruder Martin / Frère Jacques) movement was well etched and the orchestra brought out its youthful innocence.

The fearsome explosion that acts as an introduction to the finale was thrilling and the whole moment had brio and energy.

The French encore was the Farandole from L' Arlesienne Suite by Georges Bizet, SUNG rather than played at a tongue-twisting speed. This brilliant generation of musicians had played their last strains and the a capella singing was eventually overcome by a communal sense of release and hard-earned holiday.
        Good Mahler 1 that. Some lovely string playing in the slow section of the third movement. And , once again , bravo first trumpet. Just wish the conductor had got a tiny bit more of a move on in the first movement. Must be very taxing for young lungs to sustain those long brass and woodwind chords.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Reminder that the concert is on BBC4 tonight at 8
          The brightest young stars in classical music take to the Royal Albert Hall stage.

Didn't the NYO do an a capella encore at last year's Prom - or am I thinking of another orchestra?

Comment

• Historian
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            Didn't the NYO do an a capella encore at last year's Prom - or am I thinking of another orchestra?
            The Budapest Festival Orchestra sang an encore at one (or possibly more) of their concerts last year. Sure someone more savvy than me would be able to find the details. Don't know about the NYO's encores so you may be right anyway in which case this post is possibly pointless..

However, following a short search here is the thread from their concert last year. Post no.7 makes a reference to a sung encore (composed by Erolyn Wallen)
            Last edited by Historian; 11-08-24, 09:02. Reason: Added link to the 2023 NYP Prom.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Just caught the latter part of the Mahler on tv: I always find watching the NYO play very moving. Fun encore, too.

(I wished the 'presenters' would just shut up, though.)

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Just caught the latter part of the Mahler on tv: I always find watching the NYO play very moving. Fun encore, too.

(I wished the 'presenters' would just shut up, though.)
                I’ve just started the Mahler watching after tonight’s Barenboim and it’s had exactly the same impact . I mentioned the first trumpet yesterday - truly a star in the making.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

: I always find watching the NYO play very moving. Fun encore, too. (I wished the 'presenters' would just shut up, though.)

Beautiful string sound throughout, I thought.
                  I avoided the presenters by pressing 'Record' as the conductor reached the podium and 'Stop recording' after the first well-deserved ovation.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I’ve just started the Mahler watching after tonight’s Barenboim and it’s had exactly the same impact . I mentioned the first trumpet yesterday - truly a star in the making.
                    As I watched, I remembered your comment about him/her - I wasn't sure who was on the first desk. (My attention not at its best,)

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post

PS: Curious to hear a vocal shout in the 1st movement of the Mahler..
                      Racking my brain for any historical precedent but can't think of one. I wonder what GM would have thought, (and no I don't mean Georgia Mann winkeye?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

As I watched, I remembered your comment about him/her - I wasn't sure who was on the first desk. (My attention not at its best,)
                        It was a young woman . Probably invidious to single an individual out in such an outstanding collective enterprise as the rest of the trumpets , the magnificent horn and brass sections also distinguished themselves and the superb string sound has also been commented on.
                        Suffice to say that when the entire brass stood for the final peroration it bought tears to the eyes. What a wonderful bunch of young people.
                        And what a wonderful art form music is when we can hear magnificent music from 18 years olds one night and the same from an 81 year old conductor and pianist the next.
                        We should be pouring money into music education,,,

Comment

• ChrisBennell
                          • Sep 2014

I enjoyed the TV production, and the Mahler performance was gripping throughout. I must say I found the coloured light display a needless distraction - why do the producers feel the need to impose gimmicks on us!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

I thought we'd somehow strayed into Piston's Incredible flutist!
                            Sounded like a roar of approval in the fairground, to me.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

It was a young woman . Probably invidious to single an individual out in such an outstanding collective enterprise as the rest of the trumpets , the magnificent horn and brass sections also distinguished themselves and the superb string sound has also been commented on.
                              Suffice to say that when the entire brass stood for the final peroration it bought tears to the eyes. What a wonderful bunch of young people.
                              And what a wonderful art form music is when we can hear magnificent music from 18 years olds one night and the same from an 81 year old conductor and pianist the next.
                              We should be pouring money into music education,,,
                              Yes, I thought you probably meant her...
                              ... and yes, tears in my eyes too - also when Monsieur Bloch was singling out soloists for calls... and indeed during the Swingles-like encore!

"We should be pouring money into music education."

BTW I am thankful for my grandchildren that they have brilliant music education being in Camden schools.

Comment

Working...
                              X