• bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 29: Organ Recital by Jonathan Scott

Saturday 10 August 2024
    11:00
    Royal Albert Hall

Wagner (arr. Edwin Lemare) Tannhäuser – Overture

J. S. Bach: Fantasia and Fugue in G minor, BWV 542

Cécile Chaminade (arr. Jonathan Scott): Six Concert Études, Op. 35 – 'Autumn' (first performance at The Proms)

Jules Grison: Toccata in F major

Ives: Variations on ‘America' (first performance of organ version at The Proms)

Tchaikovsky (arr. Jonathan Scott): Overture ‘1812’

[Encore: Puccin (arr. Jonathan Scott)i: Turandot - Act III, 'Nessun dorma']

Jonathan Scott, organ (Proms debut artist)

Jonathan Scott tames the mighty mechanical beast that is the Royal Albert Hall organ for this mid-morning recital, performing works by Wagner, Bach, Chaminade, Grison, Ives and Tchaikovsky

Starts
    10-08-24 11:00
    Ends
    10-08-24 12:30
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 13-08-24, 16:14. Reason: added encore information
  • hmvman
    • Mar 2007

I enjoyed this recital. Jonathan Scott has great technical skill and chose interesting registrations. I particularly enjoyed his arrangement of the Chaminade Etude and the Grison Toccata. I'm not so sure the arrangement of the '1812' worked as well but it was a technical tour-de-force and very well played. I listened to the recital first on headphones and wasn't sure about the sound but, listening again via loudspeakers, it sounded marvellous.

The usual gripe about over-the-top presentation, this time from Sarah Walker. Why is it not possible for presenters (and synopsis writers for that matter) to mention the RAH organ without inserting the word 'mighty' in front of it? Such a cliché. SW did it again this morning on her programme when talking about this recital.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
      I enjoyed this recital. Jonathan Scott has great technical skill and chose interesting registrations. I particularly enjoyed his arrangement of the Chaminade Etude and the Grison Toccata. I'm not so sure the arrangement of the '1812' worked as well but it was a technical tour-de-force and very well played. I listened to the recital first on headphones and wasn't sure about the sound but, listening again via loudspeakers, it sounded marvellous.

The usual gripe about over-the-top presentation, this time from Sarah Walker. Why is it not possible for presenters (and synopsis writers for that matter) to mention the RAH organ without inserting the word 'mighty' in front of it? Such a cliché. SW did it again this morning on her programme when talking about this recital.
      Quite agree, along with "putting the instrument through its paces", "pulling out all the stops" etc. Poor Jonathan Scott also had to contend with a 16 ft reed cipher at the end of the 1812, unhelpfully on the tritone! (A natural, I think, in the key of E flat - ouch!)

Comment

• edashtav
        • Jul 2012

The tuner was getting the beast ready for Britten's tritone - rich War Requiem

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post

Poor Jonathan Scott also had to contend with a 16 ft reed cipher at the end of the 1812, unhelpfully on the tritone! (A natural, I think, in the key of E flat - ouch!)
          Ha, ha! I didn't notice that on first listening. Just listened again and heard it clearly, though masked to some extent by the applause.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
            The tuner was getting the beast ready for Britten's tritone - rich War Requiem

Comment

• Finzi4ever
              • Nov 2010

Also, when Jonathan was demonstrating the solo reeds before playing the 1812, the last note had gone seriously out of tune, but consummate professional, he just ignored it.

Comment

Working...
              X