Prom 23: Rachmaninov / Busoni, LPO / LP Choir / Rodolfus Choir, Grosvenor / Gardner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    The Busoni is being repeated on TTN tonight: third item on the agenda, following Ethel Smyth's The Wreckers overture and Schumann Rhenish symphony.
    I tuned in .The wreckers was full of salt and Brume. The Rhenish mixed delicacy with ebullient horn playing. I heard 3 mvts of the Busoni. GROSVENOR WAS EXCELLENT

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I have not got round to the Busoni - and feel it is not quite the thing for a Monday night . The Rachmaninov performance I think was the best i have ever heard of the piece - outstanding from LPO and Gardner. Gorgeous playing from the LPO and exquisitely conducted .

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

I note LPO/Gardner are playing a Rachmaninov programme on 28th SEptember at the RFH - Piano Concerto No 3 with Andnes and The Bells. If I wasn't already doing something else that Saturday I would be very tempted .

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I note LPO/Gardner are playing a Rachmaninov programme on 28th SEptember at the RFH - Piano Concerto No 3 with Andnes and The Bells. If I wasn't already doing something else that Saturday I would be very tempted .
          It's on R3 on Wednesday 9 October (schedule in the latest BBC MM, just arrived!).

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

That should be a really good concert. The Bells is a truly lovely work, and it's curious how neglected it was until the 1970s. I expect the concerto will be played complete, as it nearly always has been since Vladimir Ashkenazy pioneered it. .

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Well I agree with all of you above- this was an outstanding performance of the Busoni not only from Ben G but all the forces involved and superbly conducted by Gardner . I always felt that the piece seemed a bit sprawling with Ogdon/REvenaugh and that was probably more the orchestral and choral contribution than Ogdon but this all held together wonderfully. I hope Decca license the recording from the BBC as EMI did with Donohoe/Elder - I suspect it is pie in the sky to think they would record it with these forces in the studio .

Comment

Working...
              X