Prom 23: Rachmaninov / Busoni, LPO / LP Choir / Rodolfus Choir, Grosvenor / Gardner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

There have been discussions about what SR really meant by his Tam Tam marking since the first performance. We need the composer's Ghost to make a definitive ruling. I'M WITH YOU,!
    Imv those final tam-tam whacks sound best when each is louder than its predecessor with final whack allowed to sound per Jurowski/LPO, and not damped as in say Maazel/BPO.

Comment

• jonfan
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
      A
      Not the best area to hear the piano, as others have suggested - but a great place to observe and enjoy Busoni's orchestration (full of interesting and unusual touches). And to enjoy Rachmaninov's use of percussion in the Dances. Last time I heard the SD live was from within the orchestra (playing trombone 1 in a Gloucestershire amateur orchestra: as one whose comfort zone was the trombone 2 seat, I was concentrating too much on my section to be able to enjoy the full riches of Rach's orchestration…).
      Choir East again for Suk's Asrael in a few weeks: anyone else?!
      Yes, the piano sound muffled somewhat by the lid and also Violin 1 restrained by playing away, though glorious clarity of the Violas.
      My amateur experience of SD was playing piano in movements 1 and 2, then bass drum in movement 3. Thank goodness SR made the piano writing straightforward compared with his concertos, though counting was a pig. I thought the piano was nicely well forward in the radio balance.
      Last edited by jonfan; 07-08-24, 11:26. Reason: Bad sentence construction!

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

A lot of plaudits here for Ogdon's pioneering recording, but for me the greatest performances of this piece are still the Donohoe/Elder/BBC SO 1988 Proms (recorded for posterity by EMI - nla) and the Hamelin/Elder. Something tells me that it won't be long before Grosvenor/Gardner et al is commercially released.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

I'd like to hear that Donohoe: I didn't know he'd recorded it. As a Beecham fan I like his version, with Noel Mewton-Wood . (a radio tape issued by SOMM). who also recorded it on an early Lp.

PS. At least I thought he did, but I can't find a reference to it, so my memory may be playing tricks. I was probably thinking of another work.

Thansk, Simon, for the video. 'Barnstorming' is certainly the word for Peter Donohoe, a magnificent pianist whose performances I've enjoyed nn many occasions. He is also, by the way, a very nice man.
          Last edited by smittims; 08-08-24, 07:47.

Comment

• Simon B
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            I'd like to hear that Donohoe: I didn't know he'd recorded it. As a Beecham fan I like his version, with Noel Mewton-Wood . (a radio tape issues by SOMM). who also recorded it on an early Lp.
            The Donohoe/Elder recording was a commercial issue of the Proms performance.

Piano Concerto in C Major Opus 39 by (1.-4.Mov.)Ferruccio BusoniI. Prologo e Introito. Allegro, dolce e solenneII. Pezzo giocoso. Vivacemente, ma senza frett...

Rather more barnstorming approach than Grosvenor - and ultimately even more satisfying in that regard as a result (to these ears anyway).

Comment

• Irrelohe
              • Mar 2014

For those in, or in reach of, London there's yet another chance to hear the Busoni, on 1 November at the Barbican (Gerstein/BBCSO/Oramo). Will be interesting to compare.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                A lot of plaudits here for Ogdon's pioneering recording, but for me the greatest performances of this piece are still the Donohoe/Elder/BBC SO 1988 Proms (recorded for posterity by EMI - nla) and the Hamelin/Elder. Something tells me that it won't be long before Grosvenor/Gardner et al is commercially released.
                Ogdon available on Amazon for £17.99, Donohoe for £29.95

Comment

• Norrette
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
                  Err, I too was in Choir East, top row. Is this a not so secret meeting place for Forumistas at the Proms?
                  Nothing to do with proximity to a bar of course ? Thanks for the notification of the Barbican gig, which I'll try to attend. Hoping Monday's encore is also available on Sounds.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Kingfisher View Post
                    The Times reviewer might like to know that the Rodolfus Choir sounded older than their years because most of the singers were from the London Philharmonic Choir!

Busoni did ask for the Choir to be invisible so I suppose he had an excuse.
                    And it was the lower voices of the Rodolfus choir - but in any case it isn't a children's choir,* its members are from 16-23.
                    Bit more here about the lpc input.

*Although the Foundation does run Junior Choral courses.

Comment

• edashtav
                      • Jul 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

And it was the lower voices of the Rodolfus choir - but in any case it isn't a children's choir,* its members are from 16-23.
                      Bit more here about the lpc input.

*Although the Foundation does run Junior Choral courses.
                      Thanks for the intelligence.

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Having heard the aftrenoon repeat, I was deeply moved by both performances. The Rachmaninov was worthy to sit beside the classic Ormandy and Kondrashin recordings of this wonderful work.

Among the many excellencies of the Busoni performance I liked the way Ben Grosvenor brought out the quiet passages. One tends to use metaphors of size with this work, , but it's also a maze of subtle nooks and crannies. And well done Ed Gandner for holding the symphonic structure together so convincingly. Another peak for the LPO to add to their illustrious history.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                          Having heard the aftrenoon repeat, I was deeply moved by both performances. The Rachmaninov was worthy to sit beside the classic Ormandy and Kondrashin recordings of this wonderful work.

Among the many excellencies of the Busoni performance I liked the way Ben Grosvenor brought out the quiet passages. One tends to use metaphors of size with this work, , but it's also a maze of subtle nooks and crannies. And well done Ed Gandner for holding the symphonic structure together so convincingly. Another peak for the LPO to add to their illustrious history.
                          high praise indeed and I agree . If anything the repeat had more impact than the first performance.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

The Busoni is being repeated on TTN tonight: third item on the agenda, following Ethel Smyth's The Wreckers overture and Schumann Rhenish symphony.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

And you’ll have a chance to compare a different orchestra with the same pianist in the early hours of Sunday morning in the opening concert on TTN, when (London-bus style) along comes another Busoni piano concerto performance!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0021r1m
                              Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              The Busoni is being repeated on TTN tonight: third item on the agenda, following Ethel Smyth's The Wreckers overture and Schumann Rhenish symphony.
                              Quite, S_A
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Quite, S_A
                                Well your memory is more efficient than my 78-year old one, Nick!

Comment

Working...
                                X