• Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 21: 'All-American Prom', Sinfonia of London, Osborne / J. Wilson

Sunday 4 August 2024
    19:00
    Royal Albert Hall

Wynton Marsalis: Herald, Holler and Hallelujah! (UK premiere)
    Copland: Billy the Kid – Suite
    Barber: Adagio for Strings
    Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue
    [Encore: Duke Ellington: "Things Ain't What They Used To Be" (arr. Oscar Peterson & Steven Osborne; first performance of this arrangement at The Proms)]

Interval

Ives: The Unanswered Question
    John Adams: Harmonielehre
    [Encore: Leroy Anderson: Fiddle Faddle]

Steven Osborne, piano
    Sinfonia of London
    John Wilson, conductor

John Wilson and his Sinfonia of London perform a programme of scintillating American classics including Copland’s ballet Billy the Kid, haunting works by Barber and Ives, Gershwin’s jazz-infused Rhapsody in Blue and John Adam’s Harmonielehre.

Live at the BBC Proms: John Wilson and his Sinfonia of London with Steven Osborne, piano.

Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue, Barber’s Adagio for Strings and more at the hall tonight.
    Starts
    04-08-24 19:00
    Ends
    04-08-24 21:30
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 04-08-24, 21:36. Reason: added Leroy Anderson encore
  • parkepr
    • Jul 2012

I've got this one booked in... Very much looking forward to this.

Comment

• jonfan
      • Dec 2010

Attending live from Yorkshire at great expense! The Queens Gate Hotel used to be quite reasonable but a mortgage extension required now! Thank goodness for Premier Inns!

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Looks good on paper, but I'm not one of JW's greatest fans (I didn't rate his Chandos Copland series that highly, and not all his SoL releases have deserved their adulation, imho), so I'm not holding my breath, though I'll be tuning in!

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Unlike some I am a fan of what Wilson has achieved with his band. However, what a desperately unimaginative programme which has precisely the opposite effect on me from that intended.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            Unlike some I am a fan of what Wilson has achieved with his band. However, what a desperately unimaginative programme which has precisely the opposite effect on me from that intended.
            I haven’t heard RIB on Radio 3 for at least three days.

How about a rarely played Bernstein symphony or Harris symphony or both?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jonfan View Post
              Attending live from Yorkshire at great expense! The Queens Gate Hotel used to be quite reasonable but a mortgage extension required now! Thank goodness for Premier Inns!
              Some of their London prices recently have been eye watering as well.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                Is that (again) because the intended audience is one not familiar with a wide range of (in this case American) classical music? So go for the tried/tired and tested.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Surely not that often programmed/played?

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Certainly not at the Proms - the Ives doesn't seem to have featured before, and the Adams has been included just twice. in 2006 (RAH) and 2017 (Peckham). The Roy Harris 3rd featured in Proms in 1975 and 1997, and I for one would welcome its return..

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

But the Ives is short and was on R3 six times in six months this year.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

But the Ives is short and was on R3 six times in six months this year.
                        Shows how often I (don't) listen to R3.

Comment

• Darkbloom
                          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Certainly not at the Proms - the Ives doesn't seem to have featured before, and the Adams has been included just twice. in 2006 (RAH) and 2017 (Peckham). The Roy Harris 3rd featured in Proms in 1975 and 1997, and I for one would welcome its return..
                          I'm pretty sure Gidon Kremer conducted the Ives at the Proms in the '90s, but included it as an encore.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post

I'm pretty sure Gidon Kremer conducted the Ives at the Proms in the '90s, but included it as an encore.
                            Perhaps the 'official' record of BBC Proms programmes doesn't include encores.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                              • Nov 2010

Checked the Proms Performance Archive, on Ives' The Unanswered Question. This work has received 5 previous Proms performances:

1985: Prom 41, London Sinfonietta, Simon Rattle
                              1994: Prom 58, London Sinfonietta, Markus Stenz
                              2002: Prom 70, CBSO, Sakari Oramo (this Prom featured the Ives as an encore)
                              2012: Prom 25, BBC SO, David Robertson
                              2018: Proms at...The Lighthouse, London Sinfonietta, George Benjamin

I suppose that it says something about this work that 3 of the previous 5 Proms performances featured the London Sinfonietta.

As others have noted, the choice of American repertoire for the more-or-less annual John Wilson Prom is very safe, the new Wynton Marsalis and John Adams works aside, even though it's quite arguable that the choice of anything by Marsalis is "safe" in of itself. In the centenary year of Rhapsody in Blue, its choice was pretty much unavoidable (a bit of contrarian opinion from Ethan Iverson aside). Still, if nothing else, in terms of the amount of music in the concert, it's definitely value for money.
                              Last edited by bluestateprommer; 05-08-24, 17:05. Reason: corrected NYT link

Comment

Working...
                              X