Prom 18: Sam Smith, BBC CO / The LJ Singers, O'Mahony Brady et al., Hale / Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 18: Sam Smith, BBC CO / The LJ Singers, O'Mahony Brady et al., Hale / Johnson

Friday 2 August 2024
    20:00
    Royal Albert Hall

Sam Smith (all first performances at The Proms):
    (1) "Good Thing"
    (2) "I'm Not The Only One"
    (3) "I've Told You Now"
    (4) "Like I Can"
    (5) "Leave Your Lover"

Joni Mitchell: "Both Sides Now" (first performance at The Proms)

Sam Smith:
    (6) "Lay Me Down" (first performances at The Proms)

Robert Sherman and Richard Sherman: "Hushabye Mountain" (first performance at The Proms)

Sam Smith and Jimmy Napes: "Writing's On The Wall" (first performance at The Proms):

Sam Smith:
    (7) "Stay With Me" (first performance at The Proms)

Interval

Disclosure: "Latch" (first performance at The Proms)

Sam Smith and Normani: "Dancing With A Stranger" (first performance at The Proms)

Clare Teal: "Messin' With Fire" (first performance at The Proms)

Eddie Cooley and Otis Blackwell ('John Davenport'): "Fever" (first performance at The Proms)

Sam Smith (first performances at The Proms):
    (8) "Too Good At Goodbyes"
    (9) "Midnight Train"

Richard Rodgers and Lorenz Hart: "My Funny Valentine"

Sam Smith, Savan Kotecha, Max Martin, Ilya: "How Do You Sleep?" (first performance at The Proms)

Sam Smith and Labrinth: "The Lighthouse Keeper" (first performance at The Proms)

Sam Smith and Kim Petras: "Unholy" (first performance at The Proms)

Harold Arlen and E. Y. Harburg: "Over The Rainbow"

Sam Smith, singer (Proms debut artist)
    LaDonna Young, singer (Proms debut artist)
    Joanna Eden, singer (Proms debut artist)
    Clare Teal, singer
    Ruth O’Mahony Brady, piano (Proms debut artist)
    Ben Totten, guitar (Proms debut artist)
    Steve Pearce, bass guitar (Proms debut artist)
    Ralph Salmins, drums (Proms debut artist)

The LJ Singers (Proms debut ensemble)
    Lawrence Johnson, director (Proms debut artist)

BBC Concert Orchestra
    Simon Hale, conductor (Proms debut artist)

For their only UK appearance of 2024, Sam Smith joins the BBC Concert Orchestra for a retrospective look at their seminal debut solo album In the Lonely Hour, released 10 years ago and featuring tracks such as ‘Stay With Me’ and ‘Lay Me Down’.

Live at the BBC Proms: BBC Concert Orchestra and conductor Simon Hale with Sam Smith.

A show-stopping concert from this pop powerhouse, including classic and much-loved tracks.
    Starts
    02-08-24 20:00
    Ends
    02-08-24 22:15
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 21-08-24, 22:52. Reason: added BBCTWO link
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

The playlist is archived here, where the implication is, as with past crossover Proms, and again to use the phrase that I've used several times before, I listened to this Prom last Friday so that you don't have to . But for those not totally allergic to the crossover Proms, this was actually a pretty good concert. True, some of the orchestrations were overblown, par for the course, but no harm done overall. Sam S. seemed genuinely touched to be at the RAH. I actually didn't know any of Sam Smith's work before hearing this Prom, not even the James Bond selection. Sam S. is definitely a talented singer, and generally sounded very good. Also, it was a nice gesture to feature Joanna Eden, Sam S.'s first music teacher, something she probably never expected to happen to her. Some surprise selections popped up in the program, and nice surprises at that.

This Prom got some reviews:

Auntie had no need to be worried. For Smith's only UK appearance of 2024, they were joined the BBC Concert Orchestra and the LJ Singers for an excellent (and very professional) evening, celebrating Smith as a singer, rather than a controversialist.

The singer may have been a controversial choice, but Smith put on a gentle show and the orchestra elevated the songs to their full potential

Comment

Working...
    X