Sunday 28 July 2024
    15:00
    The Glasshouse International Centre for Music
    Sage Two
    St Mary's Square
    Gateshead Quays
    Gateshead, NE8 2JR
    England

Nicola Matteis, Jr: Fantasia in A minor for solo violin, ‘Alia fantasia’ (first performance at The Proms)

Vaughan Williams: Along the Field – ‘Along the field as we came by’ (first performance at The Proms)

Anon.: "Corpus Christi Carol" (first performance at The Proms)

J. S. Bach: Partita No. 1 in B minor for solo violin, BWV 1002 – Sarabande

John Eccles: The Mad Lover (suite) – Aire V (first performance at The Proms)

J. S. Bach: St Matthew Passion – ‘Erbarme dich, mein Gott’

Élisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre: Sonata No. 5 in A minor for violin and continuo (first performance at The Proms)

J. S. Bach: Partita No. 2 in D minor for solo violin, BWV 1004 – Sarabande

John Dowland: ‘Flow, my tears’

Walton: Henry V – "Touch her soft lips and part"

François Couperin: Pièces de clavecin, Book 2, 6ème ordre – "Les baricades mistérieuses"

David Gordon: Mysterious Barracudas (first performance at The Proms)

J. S. Bach: English Suite No. 3 in G minor, BWV 808 – Sarabande (first performance at The Proms)

John Bennet: "Venus’ Birds" (first performance at The Proms)

J. S. Bach: Cantata No. 199, ‘Mein Herze schwimmt im Blut’ – Aria, ‘Tief gebückt und voller Reue’ (first performance at The Proms)

Daniel Pioro, violin
    Helen Charlston, mezzo-soprano
    Clare O'Connell, cello (Proms debut artist)
    David Gordon, harpsichord (Proms debut artist)

Violinist Daniel Pioro, soprano Ruby Hughes, cellist Clare O'Connell and harpsichordist David Gordon join together for an afternoon exploration into Elizabethan music and folklore.

Starts
    28-07-24 15:00
    Ends
    28-07-24 16:15
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 28-07-24, 15:50. Reason: removed redundant listing
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

In advance of this Sunday afternoon Glasshouse "Chamber Prom", an FYI of a change of artist and of program, with Helen Charlston stepping in for the indisposed Ruby Hughes. In going from a soprano (RH) to a mezzo (HC), the program also changed quite notably. Again for archival purposes, and for comparison with the revised program(me), this is the original program, with the works that got dropped in bold:

J. S. Bach: Violin Partita No. 2 in D minor – Sarabande

Ralph Vaughan Williams: Along the Field – ‘Along the field as we came by’

Anon.: Corpus Christi Carol

Johann Sebastian Bach: Partita No. 1 in B minor for solo violin – Sarabande

John Dowland: Sorrow, stay, lend true repentent tears

J. S. Bach: St Matthew Passion – ‘Erbarme dich, mein Gott’

Élisabeth Jacquet de La Guerre: Sonata No. 5 in A minor for violin and continuo

Hildegard von Bingen: O virtus sapientiae

Edmund Finnis: The Bridal Morn (world premiere)

John Dowland: Flow, my tears

Dieterich Buxtehude: Klag-Lied

John Bennet: Venus’ Birds

J. S. Bach: Cantata No. 199, ‘Mein Herze schwimmt im Blut’ – Aria, ‘Tief gebückt und voller Reue’
    A post on Instagram about 3 days ago indicated the artist change, in an oblique way. The change was so sudden that the BBC Proms program link (1st one in the Calendar entry) isn't yet updated. The Glasshouse ICM's page and the BBC Proms digital program, however, are updated, although the phrasing on the Glasshouse ICM's page reads awkwardly, which must be a sign of how fast things occurred. Hopefully Ruby Hughes recovers quickly from whatever issues she's dealing with now.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
      In advance of this Sunday afternoon Glasshouse "Chamber Prom", an FYI of a change of artist and of program, with Helen Charlston stepping in for the indisposed Ruby Hughes. In going from a soprano (RH) to a mezzo (HC), the program also changed quite notably. Again for archival purposes, and for comparison with the revised program(me), this is the original program, with the works that got dropped in bold:

A post on Instagram about 3 days ago indicated the artist change, in an oblique way. The change was so sudden that the BBC Proms program link (1st one in the Calendar entry) isn't yet updated. The Glasshouse ICM's page and the BBC Proms digital program, however, are updated, although the phrasing on the Glasshouse ICM's page reads awkwardly, which must be a sign of how fast things occurred. Hopefully Ruby Hughes recovers quickly from whatever issues she's dealing with now.
      It would seem that the online schedule info for once kept up reasonably well with events changing in that case. I looked briefly on Friday evening and then more fully on Saturday morning and didn't see any mention of Ruby Hughes, but did think that there would be forum members pleased to see Helen Charlston on the performers list.
      Yes, that would have been quite a challenge not only to find another soloist but also to rejig the programme accordingly, with so many component parts.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
        • Nov 2010

Very fine "Chamber Prom" from The Glasshouse ICM just now. Dividing the concert into "mini-sets" of 3 or so works with applause between them was a good idea.

If I have a small quibble, it's with Daniel Pioro running the solo JSB movements into the next selection without pause. I also admit to a bit of a mental lapse on my side where I lost the thread a bit with "Flow, my tears", where I was expecting Helen Charlston to sing the text, and then the Walton Henry V selection. But this is my own failing more than anything. Kudos also to Helen Charlston for jumping into this concert on such short notice and doing a terrific job.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
          Very fine "Chamber Prom" from The Glasshouse ICM just now. Dividing the concert into "mini-sets" of 3 or so works with applause between them was a good idea.

If I have a small quibble, it's with Daniel Pioro running the solo JSB movements into the next selection without pause. I also admit to a bit of a mental lapse on my side where I lost the thread a bit with "Flow, my tears", where I was expecting Helen Charlston to sing the text, and then the Walton Henry V selection. But this is my own failing more than anything. Kudos also to Helen Charlston for jumping into this concert on such short notice and doing a terrific job.
          I came in a few minutes after they had started and it took a while to work out where we'd got to, and like you I lost track at a couple of points later on, but I did catch that the Dowland was instrumental(thank you Tom McK) so I wasn't expecting singing.
          An enjoyable concert, and all credit to those who managed to re-arrange things when Ruby Hughes had to drop out. Unlike the Prom last night this one didn't over-run... In fact it finished early, which was a bit of a shame.

Comment

Working...
          X