Prom 13: 'Sarah Vaughan - If You Could See Me Now', CHERISE et al., BBC CO, Barker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 13: 'Sarah Vaughan - If You Could See Me Now', CHERISE et al., BBC CO, Barker

Sunday 28 July 2024
    19:30
    Royal Albert Hall

Mann Curtis / Al Hoffman / Walter Kent: "I’m Gonna Live Till I Die" (first performance at The Proms)
    Jerome Kern: "Nobody Else But Me" (first performance at The Proms)
    Dizzy Gillespie / Raymond Leveen: "Interlude (A Night in Tunisia)" (first performance at The Proms)
    Sarah Vaughan: "I'll Wait and I'll Pray" (first performance at The Proms)
    Fred Ahlert / Roy Turk: "Mean to Me" (first performance at The Proms)
    Billy Eckstine: "Rhythm in a Riff" (first performance at The Proms)
    Walter Gross / Jack Lawrence: "Tenderly" (first performance at The Proms)
    Ray Noble: "I Hadn't Anyone Till You" (first performance at The Proms)
    Erroll Garner / Johnny Burke: "Misty" (first performance at The Proms)
    Sarah Vaughan / Thad Jones / Quincy Jones: "Sassy’s Blues" (first performance at The Proms)
    Maurice Yvain / Channing Pollock: "My Man" ("Mon homme"; first performance at The Proms)
    Vincent Youmans / Billy Rose / Edward Eliscu: "Great Day" (first performance at The Proms)

"Bebop Medley" (arr. Guy Barker, selections by Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk et al.)
    Johnny Green: "Body and Soul" (first performance at The Proms)
    Antonio Carlos Jobim: "Double Rainbow" (first performance at The Proms)
    Sarah Vaughan / Billy Eckstine: "Passing Strangers" (first performance at The Proms)
    George Kelly / Sid Wyche / Mayme Watts: "Don’t Be on the Outside (Looking on the Inside)" (first performance at The Proms)
    Sonny Burke / Paul Francis Webster: "Black Coffee" (first performance at The Proms)
    George Shearing / George David Weiss: "Lullaby of Birdland"
    Tadd Dameron / Carl Sigman: "If You Could See Me Now" (first performance at The Proms)
    Gus Arnheim / Arthur Freed / Abe Lyman: "I Cried for You" (first performance at The Proms)
    Barry Mann: "Just a Little Lovin’ (Early in the Morning)" (first performance at The Proms)
    Juan Tizol: "Perdido" (first performance at The Proms)

CHERISE, singer (Proms debut artist)
    Lucy-Anne Daniels, singer (Proms debut artist)
    Marisha Wallace, singer and presenter (Proms debut artist)
    Lizz Wright, singer (Proms debut artist)
    Clarke Peters, presenter and singer

BBC Concert Orchestra
    Guy Barker Big Band
    Guy Barker, conductor

The BBC Concert Orchestra and Guy Barker are joined by a starry line up of singers for a celebration of one of the most iconic voices of the 20th century, Sarah Vaughan, with songs including 'If You Could See Me Now’ and ‘Broken-Hearted Melody’.

Clive Myrie presents a celebration of one of the most iconic voices of the 20th century.
    Starts
    28-07-24 19:30
    Ends
    28-07-24 22:00
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 28-07-24, 22:00. Reason: completed set list
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
    Sunday 28 July 2024
    19:30
    Royal Albert Hall

Tadd Dameron: "If You Could See Me Now" (first performance at The Proms)
    Jerome Kern: "Nobody Else but Me"(first performance at The Proms)
    Fred Ahlert: "Mean Me"(first performance at The Proms)
    George Kelly / Sid Wyche / Mayme Watts: "Don’t Be on the Outside"
    Johnny Green: "Body and Soul"(first performance at The Proms)
    Thad Jones / Sarah Vaughan: Sassy’s Blues" (first performance at The Proms)

Maurice Yvain: "My Man" ("Mon homme"; first performance at The Proms)
    Mann Curtis / Al Hoffman / Walter Kent: "I’m Gonna Live Till I Die" (first performance at The Proms)
    Vincent Youmans: "Great Day" (first performance at The Proms)
    Barry Mann: "Just a Little Lovin’" (Early in the Morning) (first performance at The Proms)
    Billy Eckstine: "Rhythm in a Riff" (first performance at The Proms)
    Antonio Carlos Jobim: "Double Rainbow" (first performance at The Proms)
    Dizzy Gillespie: "Interlude (A Night in Tunisia)" (first performance at The Proms)

CHERISE, singer (Proms debut artist)
    Lucy-Anne Daniels, singer (Proms debut artist)
    Marisha Wallace, singer (Proms debut artist)
    Lizz Wright, singer (Proms debut artist)

Clarke Peters, presenter

BBC Concert Orchestra
    Guy Barker, conductor

The BBC Concert Orchestra and Guy Barker are joined by a starry line up of singers for a celebration of one of the most iconic voices of the 20th century, Sarah Vaughan, with songs including 'If You Could See Me Now’ and ‘Broken-Hearted Melody’.

I hope the singers are Sassy enough to bring this one off!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

I hope the singers are Sassy enough to bring this one off!
      Well so far I have to say Lizz Wright is . She has a really beautiful voice , fantastic diction, wonderful phrasing and sings IN TUNE .

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Well so far I have to say Lizz Wright is . She has a really beautiful voice , fantastic diction, wonderful phrasing and sings IN TUNE .
        Yes, sounds good - a very good SV tribute act!

Cherise gets away with it too!

shame about the corny showbiz presentation!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Yes, sounds good - a very good SV tribute act!

Cherise gets away with it too!

shame about the corny showbiz presentation!
          Quite!

For me this was a disappointment inasmuch as Guy Barker's orchestrations were bombastic almost throughout and mere simulations lacking in imagination, as also the choice of singers who were good in representing their own genres but did not prove themselves either stylistically flexible in the way Sarah Vaughan transcended the boundaries. While it would have been too much to expect creativity levels matching hers it would have been nice had they been at the very least originals in their own right. Halfway in I abandoned ship to come on the forum and had the programme on in the other room as background - there was nothing beyond commonplace to draw me back until my attention was instantly pricked by some subsequent archive clips of Sarah which I had not needed to hear pre-announced. The impression I was left with was of Sunday Night at the London Palladium re-born - the kids we would want to win to jazz would have been laughing their bobby socks off. A sad opportunity missed: there are so many really good British, yes British, jazz singers who could have done a much better tribute act.

To be fair, though, the concert did fulfill all my expectations.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Quite!

For me this was a disappointment inasmuch as Guy Barker's orchestrations were bombastic almost throughout and mere simulations lacking in imagination, as also the choice of singers who were good in representing their own genres but did not prove themselves either stylistically flexible in the way Sarah Vaughan transcended the boundaries. While it would have been too much to expect creativity levels matching hers it would have been nice had they been at the very least originals in their own right. Halfway in I abandoned ship to come on the forum and had the programme on in the other room as background - there was nothing beyond commonplace to draw me back until my attention was instantly pricked by some subsequent archive clips of Sarah which I had not needed to hear pre-announced. The impression I was left with was of Sunday Night at the London Palladium re-born - the kids we would want to win to jazz would have been laughing their bobby socks off. A sad opportunity missed: there are so many really good British, yes British, jazz singers who could have done a much better tribute act.

To be fair, though, the concert did fulfill all my expectations.
            It would be difficult to match high expectations of this format - anyone who has heard SV’s recordings over the years would be expecting a lot oto match her but I was on a lower expectation level, just that the songs were treated with respect and sung well - Lizz Wright and Cherise mostly did that. Don’t expect HIPP Sass!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

It would be difficult to match high expectations of this format - anyone who has heard SV’s recordings over the years would be expecting a lot oto match her but I was on a lower expectation level, just that the songs were treated with respect and sung well - Lizz Wright and Cherise mostly did that. Don’t expect HIPP Sass!

Comment

Working...
              X