Proms at The Glasshouse 4: BBC Music Introducing - Live, Theon Cross & band / Knats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Proms at The Glasshouse 4: BBC Music Introducing - Live, Theon Cross & band / Knats

Saturday 27 July 2024
    22:00
    The Glasshouse International Centre for Music
    Sage Two
    St Mary's Square
    Gateshead Quays
    Gateshead, NE8 2JR
    England

(A) Knats (all first performances at The Proms):
    1. "One for Josh"
    2. "Miz"
    3. "Tortuga"
    4. "Se7en"
    5. "500 Fils"

(B) Theon Cross and his band (all first performances at The Proms):
    1. "Brockley"
    2. "We Go Again"
    3. "Play To Win"
    4. "Wings"
    5. "Affirmations"
    6. "Forward Progression II"

Theon Cross, tuba (Proms debut artist)
    Nikos Ziarkas, guitar (Proms debut artist)
    Ruben Fox, tenor saxophone (Proms debut artist)
    Patrick Boyle, drums (Proms debut artist)

Knats (Proms debut ensemble):
    Stan Woodward, bass
    King David Ike Elechi, drums
    Ferg Kilsby, trumpet
    George Johnson, saxophone
    Sandro Shar, keyboards

The Proms celebrates musicians who launched their careers under the groundbreaking BBC Music Introducing scheme in a concert curated and developed in collaboration with BBC Open Music and The Glasshouse

Starts
    27-07-24 22:00
    Ends
    27-07-24 23:30
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 28-07-24, 02:12. Reason: corrected Knats saxophonist to George Johnson, added digital program
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

For jazz fans, this was definitely a "tale of two sets", with the two bands performing in very different styles. Putting it very superficially, Knats were more upbeat and "peppy", In fact, the enthusiasm led to a verbal slip when, I think, Stan Woodward dropped the f-bomb live on air. Soweto Kinch had to apologize for that gaffe not long afterwards.

Theon Cross and his band were more "out there" by comparison, but also more wide-ranging in their 'poly-stylism'. I'm not all that knowledgeable about jazz, but it seemed to start in a more "modernist" or maybe borderline "acid jazz" vein. But they did provide what struck me as the most moving selection of the evening with "Affirmations".

For the record, I've also corrected the saxophonists' names for both bands from the original Calendar entry.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Standard stuff that's been around for decades, changed little, apart from surface glosses and virtuosic know-how when coming to standardised phrases and gestures, Ludicrously over-hyped too. I've given my more detailed critique over on the jass forum.

Comment

Working...
      X