• Show
Clear All
  • bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 3: The King’s Singers and VOCES8

Sunday 21 July 2024
    11:00
    Royal Albert Hall

Cheryl Frances-Hoad: 'Beyond the Night Sky' (first performance at The Proms)

Ēriks Ešenvalds: 'Stars'

Bob Chilcott: 'High Flight' (first performance at The Proms)

Leigh Harline (arr. J. Rutter): Pinocchio – 'When You Wish Upon a Star' (first performance at The Proms)

Elton John (arr. J. Ray): The Lion King – 'Can You Feel the Love Tonight' (first performance at The Proms)

Oliver Wallace (arr. N. Ashby): Dumbo – ‘When I See an Elephant Fly’ (first performance at The Proms)

Kate Rusby (arr. J. Clements): 'Underneath the Stars' (first performance at The Proms)

Gustav Holst: The Evening Watch

Melissa Dunphy: Totality (BBC co-commission: world premiere)

Harold Arlen (arr. J. Clements): 'I’ve Got the World on a String' (first performance at The Proms)

Paul Simon (arr. A. L’Estrange): 'The Sound of Silence' (first performance at The Proms)

Bart Howard / Jimmy Van Heusen (arr. A. L’Estrange): 'Come Fly With Me (to the Moon)' (first performance at The Proms)

Robert Lowry (arr. B. Morgan): 'Shall We Gather at the River' (first performance at The Proms)

Billy Joel (arr. P. Lawson): 'Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)' (first performance at The Proms)

Dougie MacLean (arr. B. Morgan): 'Caledonia' (first performance at The Proms)

The King’s Singers
    VOCES8

United on stage for the first time, British choral groups The King’s Singers and VOCES8 present a Prom that mingles pop classics with classical, showcasing their world-class close-harmony singing.

Starts
    21-07-24 11:00
    Ends
    21-07-24 12:30
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Amazed to see that their programme does not include Daryl Runswick's remarkable setting for the KS of "Ooh Bla Dee" - maybe it's being reserved for the encore.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

A game of two halves this : Voces8 material ok but I find some of the KS arrangements excruciatingly cheesy esp this Disney stuff. Would a straight Renaissance Choral Prom be too much to ask for ? It was after all the origin of European classical music.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
        A game of two halves this : Voces8 material ok but I find some of the KS arrangements excruciatingly cheesy esp this Disney stuff. Would a straight Renaissance Choral Prom be too much to ask for ? It was after all the origin of European classical music.
        My goodness....this is just people singing....and doo wap at that....RAH....brrrfffff....
        bong ching

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

I've listened to an hour now, and think that is enough. It's all very slick but I'm finding the arrangements just that bit too clever - I like to recognise the tune, at least at some point, to quote a song from the shows. The audience is having a good time though.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            I've listened to an hour now, and think that is enough. It's all very slick but I'm finding the arrangements just that bit too clever - I like to recognise the tune, at least at some point, to quote a song from the shows. The audience is having a good time though.
            Yes too many harmonic substitutions for my liking - creating a kind of chromatic nausea.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I love the ironic description "The King’s Singers and VOCES8 present a Prom that mingles pop classics with classical, ..."
              One short piece of Holst, and that's it for Classical? More wedging than mingling.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

I love the ironic description "The King’s Singers and VOCES8 present a Prom that mingles pop classics with classical, ..."
                One short piece of Holst, and that's it for Classical? More wedging than mingling.
                ....sure it wasn't typo - mangling....
                bong ching

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....sure it wasn't typo - mangling....

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

Like one of those supermarket sandwiches with the thinnest possible slice of meat .

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Yes, I ended up reading the programme slowly, twice, to see what I'd missed that could, even with the current R3 loose interpretation, be termed classical, apart from the Holst.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

....I feel that we are in general, living up to Sam's view and opinion of us (R£3F)....our writings, musings, regard.....[good for us]....
                        bong ching

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                          ....I feel that we are in general, living up to Sam's view and opinion of us (R£3F)....our writings, musings, regard.....[good for us]....
                          There is no Renaissance choral music at all in this year’s Proms as far as I can see - there’s precious little Renaissance music at all - a couple of recitals . Given the importance of the Renaissance in European culture and music isn’t this a bit of an oversight in the so called Worlds Greatest Music Festival ?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

....well if you want to be cheered up and get moving, or be touched and redeemed - Medieval ,Rennaiance (Early) music is what you need 365 days a year....needs its own Proms ....bums on seats though , I guess the algarythymmmm says "No"....You could fill a hall for one Prom surely (positive)....
                            bong ching

Comment

• gradus
                              • Nov 2010

I like Voces 8 in small doses having found some of their work beautiful and some excruciating; no denying the vocal skill though.

Comment

Working...
                              X