• bluestateprommer
    • Nov 2010

Prom 7: 'Late Night Italian', Jakub Józef Orliński, Il Pomo d'Oro

Tuesday 23 July 2024
    22:15
    Royal Albert Hall

Monteverdi:
    (a) L’incoronazione di Poppea – ‘E pur io torno qui’
    (b) 'Voglio di vita uscir' (first performance at The Proms)

Biagio Marini: Per ogni sorte di strumenti musicale, Op. 22 – Passacaglia (first performance at The Proms)

Giulio Caccini: Le nuove musiche – ‘Amarilli, mia bella’

Giromalo Frescobaldi: Arie musicali, Book I – ‘Così mi disprezzate’ (first performance at The Proms)

Johann Kaspar Kerll: Sonata for two violins and continuo in F major (first performance at The Proms)

Barbara Strozzi: Cantate, ariette e duetti, Op. 2 – ‘L’amante consolato’ (first performance at The Proms)

Francesco Cavalli: Pompeo Magno – ‘Incomprensibil nume’ (first performance at The Proms)

Carlo Pallavicino: Demetrio – Sinfonia (first performance at The Proms)

Giovanni Cesare Netti: La Filli
    (a) ‘Misero core’ (first performance at The Proms)
    (b) ‘Sì, sì, sì, scioglia sì’ (first performance at The Proms)
    (c) 'Dolcissime catene’ (first performance at The Proms)

Antonio Sartorio: Antonino e Pompeiano – ‘La certezza di sua fede’ (first performance at The Proms)

Giovanni Cesare Netti: L’Adamiro
    (a) ‘Quanto più la donna invecchia’ (first performance at The Proms)
    (b) ‘Son vecchia, pazienza’ (first performance at The Proms)

Adam Jarzębski: Canzoni e concerti – Tamburetta (first performance at The Proms)

Sebastiano Moratelli: La faretra smarrita – ‘Lungi dai nostri cor’ (first performance at The Proms)

[Encores:
    (a) Giovanni Antonio Boretti: Eliogabalo – 'Chi scherza con Amor' (first performance at The Proms)
    (b) Giuseppe Maria Orlandini / Johann Mattheson: Nerone, Act 1 – "Che m'ami ti prega" (first performance at The Proms)]

Jakub Józef Orliński, counter-tenor (Proms debut artist)
    Il Pomo d’Oro

Multi-skilled, golden-voiced counter-tenor Jakub Józef Orliński joins Il Pomo d’Oro for a journey through the music of the early Baroque, showcasing composers including Caccini, Cavalli, Frescobaldi, Monteverdi and Strozzi.

Starts
    23-07-24 22:15
    Ends
    23-07-24 23:30
    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 23-07-24, 23:48. Reason: added encores
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Thanks, that looks good.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
      • Nov 2010

Found texts and translations for JJO's Late Night Prom from the following Cal Performances page, since JJO and Il Pomo d'Oro have been touring with this program for a while now:

Comment

• bluestateprommer
        • Nov 2010

For JJO's Late Night Prom, the encores are archived , after his performance. From reading one review of a previous performance of this concert in Berlin, with all the theatrical production involved, this sounds very much a situation of "you had to be there", even more than usual, to get the full impact. Hannah French mentioned JJO breakdancing at one point, which, from the Berlin Philharmonie review, presumably occurred during the Sinfonia from Carlo Pallavicino's Demetrio. There was also the audience participation element in the second encore.

Overall, a very well-assembled concert, structured so that JJO essentially sang two selections with instrumental interludes between each pair of selections (including the more 'contemporary' instrumental interlude at one point). JJO and Il Pomo d'Oro will take this concert to the Edinburgh International Festival on August 3:

Travel to the great courts of 17th-century Italy for this concert of early Baroque music. The ‘heavenly’ (Gramophone) ensemble Il Pomo d’Oro and counterten

Comment

• LHC
          • Jan 2011

JJO and il Pomo d'Oro are doing essentially the same programme at the Wigmore Hall on 12 September, although I suspect there may be less scope for theatrics and break dancing on the Wigmore Hall's tiny stage.
          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I found this Prom to be something of a smorgasbord of tit-bits, but at the same time unexpectedly un-pofaced, and for that a delight. It might even get me "into" early Baroque opera one day, having previously been thoroughly put off by the high Baroque end.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              It might even get me "into" early Baroque opera one day, having previously been thoroughly put off by the high Baroque end.
              ... wot! you no like Lulli, Rameau, Handel???

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... wot! you no like Lulli, Rameau, Handel???

Tedious in the extreme, all the later stuff. The music's okaaaaaaaaaaay - just not very interesting I think. Man - all that recitative ! I'm not an opera buff in any case, especially pre-20th century Italian and French. However Ravel, Poulenc, Malipiero, Dallapiccola, Nono? wonderful.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Tedious in the extreme, all the later stuff. The music's okaaaaaaaaaaay - just not very interesting I think. Man - all that recitative !
                  Even Rameau's Platée? It's gloriously silly & great fun, esp. this Minkowski production... (Not sure if it's later.)

« Nymphe régnant sur un humide empire » ou « Naïade ridicule » ? Qui est donc cette étrange créature que Rameau fait chanter dans une tessiture de haute-cont...

I have to admit to being a tad disappointed with Christie's "Les Indes Galantes", but there are some wonderful bits. I'd only heard the highlights before (e.g. similar to this).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Thanks AD - I'll check it out.

Comment

• edashtav
                      • Jul 2012

Bsp amongst his impeccably researched comments wrote,"Overall, a very well-assembled concert, structured so that JJO essentially sang two selections with instrumental interludes between each pair of selections (including the more 'contemporary' instrumental interlude at one point). JJO and Il Pomo d'Oro will take this concert to the Edinburgh International Festival on August 3"

Yes, a well modelled concert and drilled to near perfection. I've heard the BBC afternoon repeat and my attention was grabbed and my washing up duties were abandoned. An unexpected treat. Times Radio has been Broadcast a series called 'Election News without the Boring Bits'.
                      This concert was analogous re Baroque Opera.

Comment

Working...
                      X