X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by edashtav View Post

Regular treatment with Alison's Balsam may help.
    Never heard her split a note live. I once heard Håkan Hardenberger​ do the Haydn at the RFH . He also played a Gruber piece which required three separate trumpets. Again completely flawless . I just don’t know how they do it .

Comment

• mikealdren
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Not too impressed with the presentation on television, tonight. Samuel Coleridge Taylor was introduced as having been totally neglected following his death. Can I really be the only one here whose father was a devoted enthusiast for Hiawatha's Wedding Feast? As I recall, the Sargent recording was the very first LP he bought.

To quote Wikipedia:
      Coleridge-Taylor's greatest success was undoubtedly his cantata Hiawatha's Wedding Feast, which was widely performed by choral groups in England during Coleridge-Taylor's lifetime and in the decades after his death. Its popularity was rivalled only by the choral standards Handel's Messiah and Mendelssohn's Elijah.[

It has largely slipped out of the repertoire although I have played it once (in an orchestra accompanying a choir).

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Going to listen to this concert this afternoon but why only one movement of the Sinfonietta ? Did they explain why in the broadcast .

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

Having heard that very repetitive Rondo I can see why it was only one movement.

Enjoyed the SCT Novelettes and the bright Coleman piece

A pretty central but beautifully played Beethoven 4 well balanced and the bassoonist conductor brought out the woodwind themes - I see the conductor is rather like a John Wilson in that he conducts a lot of crossover and film music - what a pleasure it must have been to conduct this masterpiece.
          Last edited by Barbirollians; 03-10-23, 16:40.

Comment

Working...
          X