Are you ashamed about China's wooing by Bambi and Thumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Are you ashamed about China's wooing by Bambi and Thumper?

I don't know about you, but I am ashamed.

but Hutton gives the game away, Bambi wants his City chums to play with rennimbi ..... just so
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

I don't do shame....I'm more heavily into indignation....
    bong ching

Comment

• Anna

To be honest, and at the risk of being called a Little Englander who dislikes Johnny Foreigner (or worse, being a member of the Kippers) I would actually like to be able to buy products which say 'Made in England/UK/Britain' rather than 'Made in China' I wish that we were once again a nation that manufactured not consumed. (Of course, some of my best friends are Chinese)

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        To be honest, and at the risk of being called a Little Englander who dislikes Johnny Foreigner (or worse, being a member of the Kippers) I would actually like to be able to buy products which say 'Made in England/UK/Britain' rather than 'Made in China' I wish that we were once again a nation that manufactured not consumed. (Of course, some of my best friends are Chinese)
        The risk that one of the most distinguished of Ladies of Powys might be called an "Englander" of any size, le alone a "little" one, is surely as vanishingly small as it should be?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Then we must support any demands for better wages and conditions, or rights to join trade unions, made by sweatshop workers making the imported products, as revealed by Pilger, if we are not rightly to be denounced as "little Englanders" or people who might welsh <wink> on our less privilieged brothers and sisters in the so-called developing world.
          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 20-10-13, 18:45.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Then we must support any demands for better wages and conditions, or rights to join trade unions, made by sweatshop workers making the imported products
            But how do we do this? (do you have a link to the Pilger) Boycotting such shops as Primark, etc., who have been implicated won't make a jot of difference. Also, I was very surprised when I was in M&S recently (not a shop I usually frequent) on picking up a jumper and finding it was made in Cambodia - can one assume a company such as M&S will not be involved in sweatshop labour?
            (I didn't buy the jumper, it was very poor quality for the price of £30)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

But how do we do this? (do you have a link to the Pilger) Boycotting such shops as Primark, etc., who have been implicated won't make a jot of difference. Also, I was very surprised when I was in M&S recently (not a shop I usually frequent) on picking up a jumper and finding it was made in Cambodia - can one assume a company such as M&S will not be involved in sweatshop labour?
              (I didn't buy the jumper, it was very poor quality for the price of £30)
              Good to find this on utube - 11 years on, but if anything probably even truer today than in 2001.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Judging by what you report maybe it's not surprising that M&S is in trouble again, Anna.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Good to find this on utube - 11 years on, but if anything probably even truer today than in 2001.
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Judging by what you report maybe it's not surprising that M&S is in trouble again, Anna.
                Thanks S_A, I see it's nearly an hour long - will watch it when I have more time.
                Don't know about M&S as I haven't bought regularly from them for years - but I do know from friends who do shop there that they consider the quality isn't what it used to be.
                (and didn't Paxman complain about their y-fronts?) ;-)

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Don't know about M&S as I haven't bought regularly from them for years - but I do know from friends who do shop there that they consider the quality isn't what it used to be.
                  (and didn't Paxman complain about their y-fronts?) ;-)
                  Ooh, but their food is first-class. Makes Waitrose look second-rate.
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X