Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by An_Inspector_Calls View Post
    Unlike you, I haven't read Archer's book (what a surprise), but I'd be amazed if he makes any reference to Bishop Ussher.
    Humour is not your strong suit, I'd forgotten

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      I always look for the best in people. Sometimes however it is very well hidden.
      Indeded. Sometimes it can be a very tough call and require copious inspection...
      Last edited by ahinton; 14-10-13, 14:34.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        2. Human beings have evolved to make more of their lives than the business of choosing a mate and reproducing. The purpose of employment, in the human world, is not about finding a mate and reproducing.
        Which made me recall a work colleague remarking that the only reason she came to work was for the sexual harassment . . .

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Scotty will not understand this statement, so profoundly has he internalised the Catholic doctrine of Original Sin and applied it to his own avatar. How he is able to distrust his own nature while not being able to distrust his own distrust is beyond me, but I don't think there's much point in trying to persuade him to the contrary.
          Oh, I understand it only too well, S_A!

Whether one calls it Original Sin or just Temptation it is undoubtedly real unless yourself and Richard Barrett are quite beyond such human fallibilities (no doubt some bright spark will now ask what I mean by 'human fallibilities'!)

Mr Barrett looks for the best in people which is extremely generous of him. Of course by simply making that statement he is suggesting there is also some bad, or at least less good. Which is absolutely correct. Yet, like you, he obviously can't bring himself to actually say it!

There is no such thing as badness in people. It must all be the fault of the capitalist system and it's only capitalists who are bad, and working-class people and the comfy politically-motivated middle-class on the Left are as pure as the driven snow.

Do you actually believe all that pseudo-religious Marxist 'mumbo-jumbo' stuff, S_A ... ? :grin:

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
            There is no such thing as badness in people.
            Correct. There are bad (and good) things that people do.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Whether one calls it Original Sin or just Temptation it is undoubtedly real unless yourself and Richard Barrett are quite beyond such human fallibilities (no doubt some bright spark will now ask what I mean by 'human fallibilities'!)

Mr Barrett looks for the best in people which is extremely generous of him. Of course by simply making that statement he is suggesting there is also some bad, or at least less good. Which is absolutely correct. Yet, like you, he obviously can't bring himself to actually say it!

There is no such thing as badness in people.
              I never expected to see you admit to that, scotty but I'm pleased that you have done so! This puts a quite different perspective on your use of the term "evil" than that which we've frequently noted from you hereabouts in the past! I don't think that Mr Barrett needs to say what you claim him to be unable to bring himself to say when what he has said is already clear and comprehensive enough for the rest of us!

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Scotty, what exactly do you mean by "Human fallibilities"?

Has it anything to do with goalkeeping?
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

TS, what exactly do you mean by "goalkeeping" and does it have any bearing either on the moving of goalposts or the scoring of own goals?

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    TS, what exactly do you mean by "goalkeeping" and does it have any bearing either on the moving of goalposts or the scoring of own goals?
                    I thought you were a Scottish person, AH? As such you should instinctively understand these matters.

but LOL anyway. mediumtohighknowinglaughsmileything.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• scottycelt

You mean Artur Boruc, team ... ? He seems to be doing okay for you these days, probably because he's not as fat as he used to be!

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

I thought you were a Scottish person, AH? As such you should instinctively understand these matters.
                        Och, I am indeed, but that of itself disnae conferrrrr upon me the level of understanding of such matters as is foond in Castle scotty! Shostakovich would have had a Scottish slant on this though (Scotsakovich?), if the story is to be believed that, on the afternoon of the UK première of his Fourth Symphony in Enbro, he ducked out of rehearsals because Rangers were playing Celtic in some other wee Scawttish toon...

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          Och, I am indeed, but that of itself disnae conferrrrr upon me the level of understanding of such matters as is foond in Castle scotty! Shostakovich would have had a Scottish slant on this though (Scotsakovich?), if the story is to be believed that, on the afternoon of the UK première of his Fourth Symphony in Enbro, he ducked out of rehearsals because Rangers were playing Celtic in some other wee Scawttish toon...
                          Ahinton, forgive me, but for a supposedly proud Scot you don't half talk like an Englishman!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                            Correct. There are bad (and good) things that people do.
                            But 'badness' must itself exist before people are accused of doing 'bad' things? Same with 'good' minus the accusation.

Of course you may well now ask me what I mean by 'bad' and 'good'.

We could go around in circles like this all day but I suspect neither of us would think it particularly worth the effort?

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Ahinton, forgive me, but for a supposedly proud Scot you don't half talk like an Englishman!
                              Forgive you? For you know not what you do? OK - I'll try! Anyway, in my use of "disnae" I'd have expected that someone might suggest that I was talking more like a West Coast American than an Englishman...

Comment

• Richard Barrett

But 'badness' must itself exist before people are accused of doing 'bad' things?
                                And why is that?

Comment

Working...
                                X