Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    Do please clarify for us, in the context of this discussion, please clarify the difference between seeking "equality" and seeking "a level playing field." <erm>
    In the context of this discussion, 'equality' is an desired end-result, an aim, a goal if you like; and seeking a level playing field is a means to achieving that goal etc.

Sorry for the delay, I was having a life.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Sorry for the delay, I was having a life.
      Very glad to hear that you had one. Hope you enjoyed it.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        we are talking of newly born children in the first few months of their lives.
        Are we? Hadn't realised.

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

I was having a life.
          Is that allowed here?(!)...
          Last edited by ahinton; 12-10-13, 11:46.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Is that allowed here?(!),,,

I think so, but perhaps with some "Tutting", or similar.....
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Very glad to hear that you had one. Hope you enjoyed it.
              Enormously, thanks

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                Is that allowed here?(!)...
                I've always had the impression that you have a rather considerable life, ahinton

Comment

• scottycelt

Enormously, thanks
                  That's really great.

Have you made any plans to possibly go and enjoy another life sometime in the near future, amsey? :winkeye:

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    That's really great.

Have you made any plans to possibly go and enjoy another life sometime in the near future, amsey? :winkeye:
                    As I don't believe in an after-life or reincarnation, each new day is a new start, scotty and greatly appreciated.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

I've always had the impression that you have a rather considerable life, ahinton
                      I guess that the correctness or otherwise of such an impression might have to depend at least in part upon who's doing the considering(!)...

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

That's really great.

Oh how I miss the emoticons at moments like this....<laugh> <laugh>
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

to possibly go
                          Beats "boldly" ditto, I suppose...

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Oh how I miss the emoticons at moments like this....<laugh> <laugh>
                            Some people will laugh at almost anything - even a question, as in this case...

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by An_Inspector_Calls View Post
                              Are we? Hadn't realised.
                              Well, maternity leave and paternity leave aren't usually allowed once children are more than a few months old, at most. And the original issue was scottycelt's contention that paternity leave should be as long as maternity leave for 'equality' to apply.

That, of course, presumes that 'a mother' and 'a father' are necessarily 'equal' in the first place (are apples and pears 'equal'?). The money is not made available simply to 'women' and 'men' but to mothers of newly born children and fathers of newly born children. And it does appear that the availability of the benefit can be varied somewhat depending on which parent remains at home and which returns to work.

So the example of 'equality' which scottycelt chooses is not as straightforward as, for example, should British parents of black African origin have the same parental leave as white parents, where clearly parents should be treated equally regardless of the colour of their skin.

I cannot see why this should be thought of in terms of 'right wing views' and 'left wing views' on the subject. (Getting slightly back to the political leanings, or otherwise, of the BBC - the 'AUNT' in question).
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                So the example of 'equality' which scottycelt chooses is not as straightforward as, for example, should British parents of black African origin have the same parental leave as white parents, where clearly parents should be treated equally regardless of the colour of their skin.
                                Eh? What on earth has a colour of a person's skin got to do with gender 'equality' and parental leave?!!

If 'equality' regarding parental leave is not straightforward ( i agree entirely with that!) why should it be any different regarding rates of pay?

A young woman can get pregnant and leave for a few months so she might be offered a lower salary to compensate the company in that not uncommon eventuality. If she does get pregnant she will be entitled to parental leave which is a superior offer to that of the father if he works in the same establishment.

That seems fair enough to me. The discrimination works both ways and is far more realistic and practical than a non-achievable, Alice-in-Wonderland 'equality'!

Comment

Working...
                                X