X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    Ah yes, of course. The Guardian can do no wrong.....

http://www.trendingcentral.com/the-s...-the-guardian/
    Joined Tory party aged 14, sacked as press officer with EMI Records, switched to Labour Party in 1996 and back to Tories the following year, married to and then divorced from a property speculator, chick-lit author, subject to criticism for having been placed on Dave's Tory candidates' A-List on the grounds that the list allegedly favoured selection of "minor celebrities" such as her over local candidates, guilty of a gaffe against Piers Morgan (well, that's arguably forgivable, I suppose) about phone hacking, accused of taking a controlled substance with our Nige at Ronnie Scott's in Birmingham, admitted in The Sunday Times to using class A drugs, the subject of alleged two-timing over the Murdoch affair, criticised by police for calling for temporary shutdown of Twitter & Facebook during UK riots to stop the spread of false rumours wasting police resources, resigned as MP to defect to US, slated by IT industry experts for lack of security in her Menshn social networking site which then closed last February, wrote for Murdoch-owned The Times, The Sun and The Sunday Sun despite having earlier grilled the Murdochs in the Leveson unquiry, swore during an interview on This Morning and widely criticised for her conduct in the UK press. Hmm - some record, that!... Some Mensch, too...

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      Joined Tory party aged 14, sacked as press officer with EMI Records, switched to Labour Party in 1996 and back to Tories the following year, married to and then divorced from a property speculator, chick-lit author, subject to criticism for having been placed on Dave's Tory candidates' A-List on the grounds that the list allegedly favoured selection of "minor celebrities" such as her over local candidates, guilty of a gaffe against Piers Morgan (well, that's arguably forgivable, I suppose) about phone hacking, accused of taking a controlled substance with our Nige at Ronnie Scott's in Birmingham, admitted in The Sunday Times to using class A drugs, the subject of alleged two-timing over the Murdoch affair, criticised by police for calling for temporary shutdown of Twitter & Facebook during UK riots to stop the spread of false rumours wasting police resources, resigned as MP to defect to US, slated by IT industry experts for lack of security in her Menshn social networking site which then closed last February, wrote for Murdoch-owned The Times, The Sun and The Sunday Sun despite having earlier grilled the Murdochs in the Leveson unquiry, swore during an interview on This Morning and widely criticised for her conduct in the UK press. Hmm - some record, that!... Some Mensch, too...
      Your point being??
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Your point being??
        Why is it, I try not to wonder, that when I find myself having to explain the plainly obvious here, it's usually to you? "My point" - insofar as it was intended to be one as such - is that the credibility of this person might not quite be her strongest suit...

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Why is it, I try not to wonder, that when I find myself having to explain the plainly obvious here, it's usually to you? "My point" - insofar as it was intended to be one as such - is that the credibility of this person might not quite be her strongest suit...
          Well, since that blog piece is her opinion, with most of which I agree, I don't think her credibility or otherwise has much to do with it. I imagine you could take a lot of commentators and or politicians and find such examples.

Here's just one to be going on with:-

Daily Mail deputy political editor Tim Shipman has revealed the letter Mehdi Hassan – unrelenting in his hatred of the Mail on this week’s Question Time – wrote to editor Paul Dacre asking to become a columnist. On the politics show, Hasan, a writer for The Huffington Post, went on a rampage against the Mail over its controversial coverage of Ralph Miliband. As the crowd cheered, a deflated looking Quentin Letts, a Daily Mail sketch writer, looked on. “You want to talk about who hates Britain? This is a paper who said there was nothing natural about the death of Stephen Gately, who said French people should vote for Marie le Pen and the National Front, who attacked Danny Boyle for having a mixed race couple in his opening ceremony, who called Mo Farrah a plastic Brit,” he said. “So let’s have the debate about who hates Britain more, because it isn’t a dead Jewish refugee from Belgium who served in the royal navy. It’s the immigrant bashing, women hating, Muslim smearing NHS undermining, gay bating Daily Mail.” Shipman subsequently revealed the 2010 letter requesting a column via a series of tweets. Hasan said he valued the paper’s “passion, rigour, boldness, and of course, news values.” “I believe the Daily Mail has a vitally important role to play in the national debate, and I admire your relentless focus on the need for integrity and morality in public life and your outspoken defence of faith, and Christian culture, in the face of attacks from militant atheist and secularists,” he wrote. Since the leak, Hasan has told his Twitter followers he had “totally forgotten it” and that the “letter was half sincere half insincere.”
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Well, since that blog piece is her opinion, with most of which I agree, I don't think her credibility or otherwise has much to do with it.
            It almost certainly does to those who, unlike you, don't agree with most of it.

I imagine you could take a lot of commentators and or politicians and find such examples.
            Perhaps so - and one might be wise to take their published expressions at face value/lessness on a case-by-case basis; that which you cite as an example demonstrates, yet again, the point that two wrongs don't make a right for most people (though clearly they do for you when it suits you that they do, as I've noted earlier).

It's the same with your stuff about The Guardian; I know of no newspaper that never gets anything wrong or couldn't do things better and The Guardian is no exception.

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

It's the same with your stuff about The Guardian; I know of no newspaper that never gets anything wrong or couldn't do things better and The Guardian is no exception.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Oh look - a pee-shirt with a list of following one-liners apparently written by one person!

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Oh look - a pee-shirt with a list of following one-liners apparently written by one person!
                  I don't know how you surmise that the comments were written by one person, but anyway my favourites are:-

The Guardian : economical with the facts but generous with opinions.
                  The Guardian – we write it as we see it, not as it is
                  And finally:-

Comment is Free
                  if you agree
                  (with us)
                  <Thumbs up>

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

I don't know how you surmise that the comments were written by one person, but anyway my favourites are:-
                    Mine is
                    "Comments are closed."

If even a fraction of these puerile comments encapsulated a grain of truth, the paper would undoubtedly have been shut down long ago, if not by government or the police then by the unbearable burden of the cost of sacksful of lawsuits.

Anyway, now that you've had your fifteen seconds of whatever it was, let's return to the debate which, as far as I can tell, does not appear to be about that particular newspaper but another one altogether.

Comment

• amateur51

My favourite Daily Mail slogan would be Jeremy Hardy's "The Daily Mail - Racist In Public So You Don't Have To Be"

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        My favourite Daily Mail slogan would be Jeremy Hardy's "The Daily Mail - Racist In Public So You Don't Have To Be"
                        From The News Quiz, no doubt....

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

From The News Quiz, no doubt....
                          ...from that unforgivably unrepentant bastion of leftism, BBC Radio 4...

Comment

Working...
                          X