Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

"He died under the supervision of two nurses in a hut on the roof of a house in Carlton Gardens"
    Ian Jack: Lord Northcliffe reinvented the popular press 100 years ago, and long remained the model for the modern British proprietor

#2 "might it apply to his son?" - Alfred, 1st Viscount Northcliffe had no children by his wife (but alledgedly four by mistresses)

oops, a misunderstanding of that question
    Last edited by mercia; 05-10-13, 13:15.

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      :erm: Got no idea what this is about.
      Me neither.

Hopefully the thread will soon be moved to P+CA, and amateur given a well-deserved slap on the wrist.
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

french frank writes:

Campbell/Dacre thread

A Host referred this thread to me and I've moved it to P&CA. Rule of thumb is that where people discuss sensibly and amicably a topic can remain on the open forum as being of general interest to other members. Where is descends into the sadly habitual tedious squabbles, it goes to the usual place, link in the sidebar

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          french frank writes:

Campbell/Dacre thread

A Host referred this thread to me and I've moved it to P&CA. Rule of thumb is that where people discuss sensibly and amicably a topic can remain on the open forum as being of general interest to other members. Where is descends into the sadly habitual tedious squabbles, it goes to the usual place, link in the sidebar
          Yes, I'm sure we've all seen that announcement, so I don't see why you feel the need to parrot it back to us.

I'm just glad that this thread is now in its rightful place. You had no business whatsoever posting it in the main forum in the first place.

As I said, deliberately provocative.
          Last edited by Mr Pee; 05-10-13, 11:29.
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Just for the record, that's all.

The reason I posted as I did is quite plainly laid out in message #1.

As french frank makes clear it was your childish squabbling that resulted in the thread's removal to the dungeon.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              "He died under the supervision of two nurses in a hut on the roof of a house in Carlton Gardens"
              Ian Jack: Lord Northcliffe reinvented the popular press 100 years ago, and long remained the model for the modern British proprietor

#2 "might it apply to his son?" - Alfred, 1st Viscount Northcliffe had no children by his wife (but alledgedly four by mistresses)

the present Viscount Rothermere is the great-grandson of Harold Harmsworth (brother of Alfred)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonatha...unt_Rothermere
              Greatful thanks, Mercia. The Guardin piece does bear out my story:

"He died under the supervision of two nurses in a hut on the roof of a house in Carlton Gardens. Neurosyphilis has always been strongly rumoured, but never proved. It was an organic psychosis of some sort, in a mind that had been unsteadied by power. In his last days, he ordered hundreds of sackings, but he had always been a brisk sacker."

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                • Nov 2010

... resulted in the thread's removal to the dungeon.
                The dungeon! I like that. Perhaps, we could rename this the Fidelio thread:

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Just for the record, that's all.

The reason I posted as I did is quite plainly laid out in message #1.

As french frank makes clear it was your childish squabbling that resulted in the thread's removal to the dungeon.
                  Childish squabbling? <erm>

All that Petrushka and I were doing was pointing out that the thread should have been here in the first place. It was deliberately provocative of you to put it in the main forum. Did you really think that such a thread would not be construed as political, when it concerned a dispute between the Labour leader and the Daily Mail?

You posted it in the main forum in order to provoke a reaction- well, you got one, and now the thread is back where it belongs.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                    Childish squabbling? <erm>

All that Petrushka and I were doing was pointing out that the thread should have been here in the first place. It was deliberately provocative of you to put it in the main forum. Did you really think that such a thread would not be construed as political, when it concerned a dispute between the Labour leader and the Daily Mail?

You posted it in the main forum in order to provoke a reaction- well, you got one, and now the thread is back where it belongs.
                    That's your view, but I know why I posted where I did because I posted it there.

It's here because you decided to create a squabble.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

If a sensible and intelligent debate is to be had and the subject be of sufficient interest and gravity to merit one, does it really matter where on this forum it be located provided that it can be found easily by those wishing to contribute thereto? I have less than no idea why Mr Pee is making such a fuss about this, apart from his frequent apparent desire to make one for the sake of so doing and to draw attention to himself thereby.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        If a sensible and intelligent debate is to be had and the subject be of sufficient interest and gravity to merit one, does it really matter where on this forum it be located provided that it can be found easily by those wishing to contribute thereto? I have less than no idea why Mr Pee is making such a fuss about this, apart from his frequent apparent desire to make one for the sake of so doing and to draw attention to himself thereby.
                        As far as the dungeon itself goes, I was at first wholly against the move to sideline political discussion in this way. However, I now rather like the fact that I can visit the main forum and not be distracted by political threads- if I want to read them and contribute, I have to click that seperate forum link. Which is why it irritates me that certain members continue to post political threads on the main forum page.
                        Copied from the Irish referendum thread.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Copied from the Irish referendum thread.
                          Not everyone would - or indeed could reasonably be expected to - agree on precisely what might or might not constitute, or be thought to sconstitute, a "political thread" in every instance.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            Not everyone would - or indeed could reasonably be expected to - agree on precisely what might or might not constitute, or be thought to sconstitute, a "political thread" in every instance.
                            Quite
                            (but I guess it's probably safer for the Peester to spend his time complaining about this on the internet than going out of the house)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

I thought you said you had me on ignore? :erm:
                              I do, but now & again I'm tempted to look at a post from you (especially if, as in this case, I suspect it might be a direct response to something I've said), but I usually regret giving in to temptation.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                I do, but now & again I'm tempted to look at a post from you (especially if, as in this case, I suspect it might be a direct response to something I've said), but I usually regret giving in to temptation.
                                So you're not totally ignorant and you actually believe in all that 'temptation' mumbo-jumbo. Flossie ... ? <thumbs-up>

Comment

Working...
                                X