X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Dreadful drowning in Lampedusa....

These poor people just trying to find a way out of poverty and starvation....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24380247
    bong ching
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    These poor people just trying to find a way out of poverty and starvation....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24380247
    Terrible tragedy
    some of the responses to it (this is from the Independent of all places ????) are rather predictable and show a total lack of humanity and empathy

such as

"They are all muslim invaders that cause nothing but problems, violence, crime, welfare-fraud in whichever western country is unfortunate enough to have them." ....

and

"They are ILLEGAL ECONOMIC IMIGRANTS. They knew the risks and they took them. This is the fault of the corupt €U "

Comment

• amateur51

A shocking and very sad story.

The lot of would-be migrants from Africa is imperilled by the activities of people traffickers on the one hand, making money out of poverty and human aspiration and desperation, and by the treacherous conditions at sea on the other.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

We (never mind the US) spend so much money on pursuing the war effort which could be used humanely to alleviate poverty.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          We (never mind the US) spend so much money on pursuing the war effort which could be used humanely to alleviate poverty.
          So true. And so many other useless activities as well......
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• scottycelt

Top Donors World Aid:

1) USA
            2) UK

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Tell the whole story, Scotty.....
              These are 10 countries that produce the most trash: 1. The United States As of 2006, the United States produced around 236 million tons of waste annua

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Tell the whole story, Scotty.....
                I merely provided some facts in the interests of political balance, team ...

The USA has by far the largest military budget in the world and yet provides the most economic aid. The UK has the fourth largest military budget in the world and comes second, leading wealthier countries like Germany.

So the inference that large military budgets are at the expense of economic aid to poorer countries simply does not stack up.

That's all.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post

The USA has by far the largest military budget in the world and yet provides the most economic aid. The UK has the fourth largest military budget in the world and comes second, leading wealthier countries like Germany.

So the inference that large military budgets are at the expense of economic aid to poorer countries simply does not stack up.

That's all.
                  But what does it matter anyway ?
                  as you said in the other dungeon thread
                  there are no causes, no contexts , just things that happen .............. :-(

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

That's all.
                    It is surely not balanced just to say that the US provides the most aid, without demonstrating the immensity of its economic power, which incidentally, (well not incidentally at all in fact) it uses in exploitive fashion the world over?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

I have no control over what people 'infer'. I certainly didn't imply that. Factually, if they spent less on their huge military budgets, they would have more funds available to spend on aid. That is not incompatible with what you said, I think?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

I have no control over what people 'infer'. I certainly didn't imply that. Factually, if they spent less on their huge military budgets, they would have more funds available to spend on aid. That is not incompatible with what you said, I think?
                        The problem for most of the countries from which populations are fleeing is that their achievement of national self-determination was partial, not matched by economic self-determination.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          It is surely not balanced just to say that the US provides the most aid, without demonstrating the immensity of its economic power, which incidentally, (well not incidentally at all in fact) it uses in exploitive fashion the world over?
                          Didn't take long, did it?

<yawn> <yawn>
                          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                            Didn't take long, did it?

<yawn> <yawn>
                            I had a point to make in the discussion, concerning why economic migration happens , and under such dangerous circumstances.

What is your point? you did have a point , didn't you?

or were you just a bit tired ?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              The problem for most of the countries from which populations are fleeing is that their achievement of national self-determination was partial, not matched by economic self-determination.
                              Yes, and aid is not the long-term solution. But the greater the (outside) resources the more possibilities for solving that problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X