X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I should say I have put an exclusion on Mr Pee for this P&CA board since he clearly brings out the worst in you, and in the hope you will all (or most) now grow up. This is on the analogy of separating, um, home and away fans.

There is therefore no necessity to make further reference to Mr Pee, Simon, or any other object of antagonism who will no longer be regaling you with their views. Nor do I want it spilling out on any opportunity that offers on the main forum.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I should say I have put an exclusion on Mr Pee for this P&CA board
      It's a pity that you've felt it necessary to do this, since any such move must inevitably get to be noticed as a response to interference with reasoned debate and discussion - but so be it.

since he clearly brings out the worst in you
      He does perhaps bring out the worst on occasion, but in whom and what might arguably remain open to conjecture...

and in the hope you will all (or most) now grow up. This is on the analogy of separating, um, home and away fans.

There is therefore no necessity to make further reference to Mr Pee, Simon, or any other object of antagonism who will no longer be regaling you with their views. Nor do I want it spilling out on any opportunity that offers on the main forum.
      I cannot speak for anyone else here, but I can speak for myself and will, if I may, do so in order to assure you and anyone else interested that I do not regard Mr Pee, Simon et al as "objects of antagonism" if for no better reason thatn that some of what each of them has posted is itself antagonistic to a majority viewpoint, as has been demonstrated over the months and years.

Again, it's all a pity but, since it's up to each of us to post as best we can and to express our views as honestly and effectively as possible while recognising that others may not always share them, the Mr Pees of this world have a right to say what they want and take whatever risks they may take in so doing; when such people do so in clear and wilful ignorance of certain facts concerning the subject under discussion, however, they must accept that their expressions are likely to elicit reasoned dissent.

Anyway, I'm sure that your decision has been well considered and I thank you for it.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

I should say I have put an exclusion on Mr Pee for this P&CA board since he clearly brings out the worst in you, and in the hope you will all (or most) now grow up. This is on the analogy of separating, um, home and away fans.
        This does rather smack of blaming the victim.

(Not that I see myself as a victim of Mr Pee in any way; just that he is the one who never posts anything on threads like this that addresses the threads' topic, but posts attacks on certain people.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I was rather hoping to ask Mr Pee if the status he affords "sovereign states" extends to all such states by simple virtue of their "sovereignty", because if it does, then a lot of states, now and in history, are due an awful lot of exoneration, whatever they have done.

Never mind... some other time, maybe.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            This does rather smack of blaming the victim.
            Oh, I have asured him that he is not being held entirely to blame - you all are. As for any suggestion from ahinton that this prevents 'reasoned debate' - you've just answered that yourself. If you want reasoned debate, carry on debating reasonably, but if you insist on being distracted by Mr Pee's contributions, that won't happen.

I think you should [all] be prepared to acknowledge the extent of your own 'blame', instead of being so, either a) self-righteous or b) ponderously questioning.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

If you want reasoned debate, carry on debating reasonably, but if you insist on being distracted by Mr Pee's contributions, that won't happen.
              If reasonable debate is to be carried on and Mr Pee contributes to it, his contributions are surely no more of a distraction in themselves than anyone else's except when apparently intended to be so.

If and when Mr Pee (or any member, for tht matter) really does distract attention from the subject matter under discussion, it would likewise be difficult for the rest of those involved in that discussion not to be distracted to some extent by contributions that do this, other than by ignoring them and, even then, such ignoring cannot be merely passive, because it necessarily involves a conscious effort not to be drawn away from the sensible discussion by them.

Whilst it is true that I do not often agree with what Mr Pee writes, I would always be willing to listen to what he has to say provided that, when appropriate and necessary, it is backed up by evidence and considered thought as are so many other contributions here - and provided that it is not overtly patronising.

Unalloyed rudeness to Mr Pee is, to me, as unacceptable as ditto from him.
              Last edited by ahinton; 13-12-13, 13:13.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                What an utterly dismaying development... (note the extraordinary 3rd paragraph...)

You see, once a government passes a law like this, so chillingly similar to Section 28 here in 1988, many take it as an authorisation for hostility...
                If you were in any doubt, watch this if you can bear to:

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  If you were in any doubt, watch this if you can bear to:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/4od
                  I can only take it in 5 minute chunks, jean - I have to take a breather. It's horrible

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Well, I tried to watch it... didn't - couldn't - last the distance, filled in the blanks from reviews...

But the whole story is there in the infamous Putin quote isn't it? "Gays welcome to the Olympics, keep away from the kids"....
                    That's it, really. Legislation based on profound and primitive ignorance. Great to see the handsome frontwoman of the BBC team, but I still hold out hopes of a same-sex podium kiss... it would be at least as powerful as the 1968 Black Power salute. And what is this "politics" point anyway? This is basic human rights, not "political point-making"...

Sorry if I'm repeating earlier comments, bit short of time recently... but they can't be repeated too often.

Comment

Working...
                    X