• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Musical Homophobia - or The Homophobia Histories

What an utterly dismaying development... (note the extraordinary 3rd paragraph...)

You see, once a government passes a law like this, so chillingly similar to Section 28 here in 1988, many take it as an authorisation for hostility. Isinbayeva prefers to use her gold-medal fame as a platform to deny even peaceful protest to an already violently-oppressed minority. Note that she is only too keen to reveal, flaunt and sell her heterosexual beauty as a model. Some good old Freudian projection going on there...

It will (I hope) be remembered that the awful Section 28 made law during the Thatcher regime was quickly followed by an increase in "queer-bashing"; oh, what a quaint phrase it now seems. Well you should have seen some of its victims. I had a few narrow escapes myself - have you ever felt that kind of fear, out there on a public street?

The Russian LGBT competitors and citizens are speaking out and they need our support. But heaven knows what may happen in Sochi - a cold silent suppression, a pitched battle...?
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-08-13, 02:17.
  • amateur51

Thanks for raising this very distressing development, jayne - as you say, it raises so many memories of what we had to put up with under Thatcher's section 28. I think the reponse from the Swedish athletes is just what's needed. Perhaps Stephen Fry et al need to push a bit harder for a boycott now.

Meanwhile, in the super-macho world of WWE wrestling ...

American wrestler tells TMZ: ‘I’m a WWE Superstar and to be honest with you … I’ll tell you right now that I’m gay’

Gradually, lesbian and gay sports stars are finding the courage to come out and in a very positive way. It seems light years ago that Martina Navratilova and Billie Jean King came out, but these new people are taking the step while still active in their sports.

Thank you Emma Green Tregaro, Moa Hjelmer and Darren Young :ok::star::biggrin:

Comment

• aeolium
      • Nov 2010

And presumably Tchaikovsky's works will be removed from the programmes of the Bolshoi and Mariinsky Theatres. After all, Putin can't let such a depraved character pollute Russian youth :erm:

I wonder what Putin's friend Valeri Gergiev thinks of all this....

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
        I don't know if he has commented. Anna Netrebko has at least - cautiously - said something

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          It will (I hope) be remembered that the awful Section 28 made law during the Thatcher regime was quickly followed by an increase in "queer-bashing"; oh, what a quaint phrase it now seems. Well you should have seen some of its victims.
          I did - and heard them speak of how they called for Police help as the "bashers" chucked stones at their homes, and how that police "help" only arrived half-an-hour after the thugs had moved on. For morons of the thuggish persuasion, it takes only the smallest hint from those in power to suggest that minorities are "fair game" to "legitimize" their obscene behaviour.

And, yes; Bravissimo and thanks, Emma, Moa, Darren ... and Robbie and Jason.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
            And presumably Tchaikovsky's works will be removed from the programmes of the Bolshoi and Mariinsky Theatres. After all, Putin can't let such a depraved character pollute Russian youth :erm:

Tchaikovsky's sexuality and the pressure he felt under was briefly and sympathetically discussed at the pre - Prom talk at the RCM on Wednesday. In a brief question I was able to point out that were he living in today's Russia he might be in even greater anguish. The audience at the talk did not show much response, I suppose to them it seems a long way away.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
              Tchaikovsky's sexuality and the pressure he felt under was briefly and sympathetically discussed at the pre - Prom talk at the RCM on Wednesday. In a brief question I was able to point out that were he living in today's Russia he might be in even greater anguish. The audience at the talk did not show much response, I suppose to them it seems a long way away.
              Bravo Ferret - that was a bold and necessary connection to make :ela::ok::biggrin:

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Not sure if there is a Closing Ceremony at the World Athletics Champ's (I think not)....the Opening one seemed to be on the second day (cheap and not that cheerful), after the heats, Putin turning up right at the last moment to make an appearance ....these individual protests are good....but what chance a more solid protest....Putin has recruited a Youth Group which is quite large which takes these evil ideas onto the streets ....
                bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  Not sure if there is a Closing Ceremony at the World Athletics Champ's (I think not)....the Opening one seemed to be on the second day (cheap and not that cheerful), after the heats, Putin turning up right at the last moment to make an appearance ....these individual protests are good....but what chance a more solid protest....Putin has recruited a Youth Group which is quite large which takes these evil ideas onto the streets ....
                  This all sounds terribly familiar, sadly :sadface:

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Seems from the News that Yelena Isinbayeva is back-pedaling and blaming her poor grasp of the English language for the 'misunderstanding'.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

I feel tremendous sympathy for anyone affected by this. It's very odd - I live in a country where the RC Church has terrific power (and therefore where they officially despise gaydom) but where 'gay' is socially acceptable as a third gender, openly talked about without censure. Mind you, 'gays', as they are universally known here (bacla, actually), are expected to be rather camp - sort of oriental Kenneth Williamses - so it's not exactly ideal...

Comment

• amateur51

An e-petition has been launched to persuade London Mayor Boris Johnson to cut the twinning arrangement between London and Moscow as a protest against Putin's legislation.

How to run an online petition There are thousands of petitions running on 38 Degrees right now. Over the years we've learnt a lot about how to word your petition, how to grow your petition and how...

I've signed it and I hope that you will too if you feel so moved

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          An e-petition has been launched to persuade London Mayor Boris Johnson to cut the twinning arrangement between London and Moscow as a protest against Putin's legislation.

How to run an online petition There are thousands of petitions running on 38 Degrees right now. Over the years we've learnt a lot about how to word your petition, how to grow your petition and how...

:ok:

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Sorry, not so moved.
                            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                              Sorry, not so moved.
                              Thank you for sharing that, Mr Pee.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X