• Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
    Well, that beats Banagher, ff!

What can I say? I know what I did.

Somebody else knows what they did too. Speak up man.
    It wasn't a picture of a man holding a 'spy' shoe, was it?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

It was a smart phone, ff.

But how did you know?
      johnb started the original thread on this subject - the one about rubbish bins being out to get you. Your post (if this is the one you mean) is on that thread. I think the thread has now sunk from sight. Hope that solves the mystery!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

It was a smart phone, ff.

But how did you know?

http://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=h...d=0CJABEP4dMA0
        Ah! Mystery solved at last!

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          Ah! Mystery solved at last!
          Thanks to ff.

Tired but happy they retraced their steps, one of them hanging his head in shame and slyly hoping to redeem himself by producing a diverting little jewel he had discovered along the way.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Thanks to ff.

Tired but happy they retraced their steps, one of them hanging his head in shame and slyly hoping to redeem himself by producing a diverting little jewel he had discovered along the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23682568
            More than compensated for - one of my favourite wildflower families - the hardy geranium!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              johnb started the original thread on this subject - the one about rubbish bins being out to get you. Your post (if this is the one you mean) is on that thread. I think the thread has now sunk from sight. Hope that solves the mystery!
              Sorry - rather think I sunk that thread...

... by switching my simple (i.e. not smart) phone off! :winkeye smiley: *

* I note the comment elsewhere about the absence of icons in the politics and current affairs department

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                • Nov 2010

Interesting to read the responses to my starting point on here, if a little disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm for my proposal.

No, this was not a spoof thread as has been suggested, but something I feel is genuinely required. Indeed the City of London were suitably alarmed at a public backlash that they have suspended the trialling of these devices.

Some responses were of the view that these are situations that cannot be legislated for. Well, everything can be legislated for. It's just a question of the parliamentary will. I'm sure there were those who said that it would be impossible to implement a Clean Air Act ('56 & '68) or a drink-drive limit (Road Safety Acy 1967), or to police the rogue timeshare industry. Well, each of these things came to pass in time.

I thought the notion of what I've styled as 'cash cow Britain' might have struck more of a chord, but perhaps that is naieve given that the British consumer is apparently a most passive, even subservient beast. For example, we have all of us been party to the death of the British high street, though that is another discussion for another time.

Elsewhere, there were suggestions of Victor Meldrewism and balaclava. Well, I've put myself up for that kind of ribbing and yes, I do have my fair share of 'I don't believe it' moments, but I just think it is shocking and unnerving that as citizens we are so manipulated and controlled in a growing number of ways; but still, I will march on banging my drum and hoping for the return of winter when this blasted balaclava may become a bit more comfortable!

SHB

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                  Interesting to read the responses to my starting point on here, if a little disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm for my proposal.

No, this was not a spoof thread as has been suggested, but something I feel is genuinely required. SHB
                  Firstly, SHB, I apologise for contributing to any disrespect towards your idea.
                  I must say though, that I confused your thread with another, so I apologise to the author of that thread too.
                  A spoof thread is not per se inferior imo to other more serious discussions, so by describing yours as such, I did not think I was being disrespectful. But, of course, once the mistake was made........

Sorry, SHB. No offence intended.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                    • Nov 2010

No offence taken, Padraig. I didn't mean to come across as peevish!

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                      A sub-section of this act could make provisions for the phenomenon of late which I would describe as 'Retail Interrogation'. I mean, the manner in which shop staff are drilled in the art of retail insinuation (and occasionally shaming) for the purposes of maximising the spend of each customer. A trend that is now applied so uniformly across the retail sector that from M&S to Selfridges, or Sainsbury's to Tesco's, Boots to Superdrug, the experience for the customer at the till will invariably follow these lines:

Did you find what you were looking for today?

Only the one item, is it?

Would you like a bag?

[Upsell] Would you like another one? You'll get it half price.

Do you have our points card?

Would you like our points card?

Is there anything else?

It's when you see these questions applied so mandatorily (and they are for the staff) that you realise that there is a kind of malign conspiracy at play, and such as you need not be taken for innocuous staff pleasantries.
                      I see absolutely nothing wrong with being asked any of those questions. If you have no interest then a polite 'No thank you' suffices. But for those of us who 'play' them back at their own game, these cards are a boon. Given the number of offers on at Boots and then couple that with the points from their Advantage loyalty card we often end up paying less than half price for some stuff. So if you want to pay full whack then that is up to you. More money than sense maybe but, still, up to you.

Ditto Waitrose loyalty card. If we didn't have this then we would not have been one of the minority who were given a 10% discount card valid for a month.

I do feel sorry for the staff in banks trying to cross-sell/up-sell. It is clear that they don't want to do it but nevertheless are still made to do it by their management. Again, a polite 'no thank you' and a smile is all it takes.

Comment

Working...
                      X