X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    yes
    An exemplary if unusually concise answer, Mr GG ... I do hope ahinton manages to spot it!

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Here's more:
      "With the way Channel Seven edited my interview, I was left quite the fool," Ms Banister said in a brief statement. "I'd like to apologise to One Nation, to my friends and family, for any embarrassment this has brought to them."

This is from an Australian general election candidate who thought that Islam was a country, and that Jews worship Jesus. Here's the full story, but note the implication that it was "the media" who misinterpreted her remarks:

An Australian election candidate who said in a TV interview that Islam was a country and Jews worshipped Jesus Christ withdraws from the race.

Then there was this, from a manager in a general email to staff about redundancy talks: "Mr Dunn's email stated that the department "are now consulting on the final stage of our restructure and you may or may not be directly impacted upon".
      "If you are involved [I] can fully appreciate the concerns you will have and just ask for your patience and to remember it is consultation so you will have a lot of opportunity to put your views forward."
      [It went on to discuss staff concerns about the restructuring and the advertisement of a new assistant director before concluding "on the home front]: off to a punk rock festival in Blackpool this Friday...The Damned, Stiff Little Fingers and Buzzcocks amongst the acts playing...Wedding 6 weeks this Saturday followed by 2 weeks in Fuerteventura!! Can't wait."

His managers apologised and said "the email was "probably sent with the best intention and he probably meant it well..."

Here's the story:

A council manager was a "bit David Brent" in including details of his upcoming wedding in an email to staff about restructuring, a union says.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        An exemplary if unusually concise answer, Mr GG ... I do hope ahinton manages to spot it!
        He did, but he also wonders what prompted you to express this hope!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by KipperKid View Post
          Bit worrying. Spending a billion pounds a month on overseas aid while we are making NHS staff redundant and cutting vital social services. Especially if it's true that the money is being spent on military weapons in Pakistan and Argentina.
          KK appears to have left us

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            KK appears to have left us
            Well, I do seem to recall that he was bound for Turkey a while ago (I think)...

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

And here's another that might qualify for this thread:

The England cricket team apologise for "inappropriate" behaviour in the aftermath of their Ashes triumph at The Oval.

"We got carried away amongst the euphoria of winning such a prestigious series and accept some of our behaviour was inappropriate," a statement read, "If that has caused any offence to anyone, we apologise."

It sounds as though the apology is given only because there were complaints. If you really "accept some of our behaviour was inappropriate", don't you just apologise rather than qualify the apology with "If that has caused any offence to anyone". Presumably if there were no complaints...

Comment

• edashtav
                • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

The England cricket team apologise for "inappropriate" behaviour in the aftermath of their Ashes triumph at The Oval.

"We got carried away amongst the euphoria of winning such a prestigious series and accept some of our behaviour was inappropriate," a statement read, "If that has caused any offence to anyone, we apologise."

It sounds as though the apology is given only because there were complaints. If you really "accept some of our behaviour was inappropriate", don't you just apologise rather than qualify the apology with "If that has caused any offence to anyone". Presumably if there were no complaints...

... and when really apologising, you leave out the "if " from your qualification.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

It's more than just that; the absence of published or otherwise announced complaints is not of itself proof that no offence was caused.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    It's more than just that; the absence of published or otherwise announced complaints is not of itself proof that no offence was caused.
                    Absolutely.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                      ... and when really apologising, you leave out the "if " from your qualification.
                      Quite.

Comment

Working...
                      X