• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Sincere disingenuousness

I thought this sincere apology was worth posting:

A UK Independence Party politician says he "sincerely" regrets causing any "genuine offence" when he referred to countries receiving government aid as "Bongo Bongo Land".

I note that the dreaded Wikipedia reminds us that Alan Clark used a similar expression in 1985. He, too, denied it was racist, and was very surprised that anyone complained.

Perhaps we could have an award for the best non-apology of the year. Perhaps there already is one.
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    I thought this sincere apology was worth posting:

A UK Independence Party politician says he "sincerely" regrets causing any "genuine offence" when he referred to countries receiving government aid as "Bongo Bongo Land".

I note that the dreaded Wikipedia reminds us that Alan Clark used a similar expression in 1985. He, too, denied it was racist, and was very surprised that anyone complained.

Perhaps we could have an award for the best non-apology of the year. Perhaps there already is one.
    Firstly, let me say that I think UKIP's central plank of promoting withdrawal from the EU is plain bonkers. I also strongly disagree with Mr Bloom on the issue of foreign aid so we would appear have very little in common when it comes to political opinion. I consider the use of the term 'bongo-bongo land' is silly, smacks of pure ignorance, and this gentleman has a bit of a history of displaying both.

However, I believe everyone has the right to be silly, ignorant and even deliberately offend others in the process. It happens all the time, even on this excellent forum. So why should Mr Bloom be expected to apologise for doing the same especially when he claims that he takes some satisfaction in simply annoying those at the BBC and The Guardian. So there was indeed some purpose and method in his madness, however childish and pointless his comments may seem to others.

Mr Bloom expressed 'regret' if any 'genuine offence' (as distinct from media-hype) had been caused by his remarks. This was obviously at the behest of his boss, Nigel Farage, with the UKIP leader's mind clearly on the next General Election. It was cleverly crafted and wasn't actually an apology as such.

Of course we know the 'regret' is unlikely to be sincere. It very rarely is in such cases but, under the circumstances, I think it as much as anyone should expect, at least in a genuinely free society.

Comment

• DavidP

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      Firstly, let me say that I think UKIP's central plank of promoting withdrawal from the EU is plain bonkers. I also strongly disagree with Mr Bloom on the issue of foreign aid so we would appear have very little in common when it comes to political opinion. I consider the use of the term 'bongo-bongo land' is silly, smacks of pure ignorance, and this gentleman has a bit of a history of displaying both.

However, I believe everyone has the right to be silly, ignorant and even deliberately offend others in the process. It happens all the time, even on this excellent forum. So why should Mr Bloom be expected to apologise for doing the same especially when he claims that he takes some satisfaction in simply annoying those at the BBC and The Guardian. So there was indeed some purpose and method in his madness, however childish and pointless his comments may seem to others.

Mr Bloom expressed 'regret' if any 'genuine offence' (as distinct from media-hype) had been caused by his remarks. This was obviously at the behest of his boss, Nigel Farage, with the UKIP leader's mind clearly on the next General Election. It was cleverly crafted and wasn't actually an apology as such.

Of course we know the 'regret' is unlikely to be sincere. It very rarely is in such cases but, under the circumstances, I think it as much as anyone should expect, at least in a genuinely free society.
      Scotty defending the unacceptable again. Godfrey Bloom is not some silly old English eccentric but a racist and a bigot and should be regarded as such.

Zoe Williams: It's not enough to dismiss talk of 'bongo bongo land' as silly but amusing. The assumptions behind it need a sharp rebuttal

From the above article:

"Bongo bongo land is a derogatory reference to the former colonies of the UK. It's an attempt to portray a continent as an undifferentiated mass of uncivilised people who have just enough sophistication to rip us off by spending our money on sunglasses, but otherwise are happy with their drums."

Comment

• KipperKid

Bit of a non-story, in the overall scheme of things.

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
          ...Of course we know the 'regret' is unlikely to be sincere. It very rarely is in such cases but, under the circumstances, I think it as much as anyone should expect, at least in a genuinely free society.
          Firstly, let me say that I agree with every word of your post, though I'd go farther - this doesn't amount to an apology at all. It is basically saying "You're so sensitive that I'll say sorry if it makes you feel any better (and because my leader has told me to do so)" - which doesn't amount to an apology in my book. Also, it was clearly a matter that called for an apology.

I think this belongs to a wider phenomenon - that of being seen to act appropriately (rather than just doing it anyway). There will no doubt be those who think this sort of thing is sufficient. They will probably not understand the issue.- it's about honesty. Here's a true story.

In the mid-80s I was Deputy Governor of a small prison not very far from London. At that time overcrowding was a big issue (when I joined, the population was about 42,000; when I left it was 84,000 - which gives you some idea of the problem). The police loved this because surplus prisoners were kept in police cells - police overtime galore and a huge cost to the Prison Service (much more than ten times the cost of keeping them in prison). Anyway, the government of the day announced that we would cease to use prison cells from...(I don't remember when, but it was many months ahead). The day arrived and all prisons were instructed (I'm not making this up) to collect any prisoners from police custody, put them in vans before a certain time (1200 I think) and keep them there for one hour. In the London area this meant driving them round the M25. We were then to return them to police cells by (say) 1300.

In the meantime, the Prisons Minister, who is now a CFM presenter, addressed parliament and said something like: "I can assure the House that, as I speak, there are no Prison Service prisoners being held in police cells". Loud cheers (brays?) from the government benches.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by KipperKid View Post
            Bit of a non-story, in the overall scheme of things.
            I wonder if you'd say that if this were not a Ukip person, Beefy.

Comment

• edashtav
              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by DavidP View Post
              ... Godfrey Bloom is not some silly old English eccentric but a racist and a bigot and should be regarded as such.

Zoe Williams: It's not enough to dismiss talk of 'bongo bongo land' as silly but amusing. The assumptions behind it need a sharp rebuttal

From the above article:

"Bongo bongo land is a derogatory reference to the former colonies of the UK. It's an attempt to portray a continent as an undifferentiated mass of uncivilised people who have just enough sophistication to rip us off by spending our money on sunglasses, but otherwise are happy with their drums."
              A fine piece by Zoe Williams.

Let the barman declare, "Time's Up , Gentlemen Please" on Godfrey Bloom & his like exchanging sly racist remarks in the Snug.

Comment

• KipperKid

I wonder if you'd say that if this were not a Ukip person, Beefy.
                No way of knowing Pabs.

He shouldn't use language like that, and it suggests something odious about him. But we already know about Mr Bloom - hence my non-story comment.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

No way of knowing Pabs.
                  ...we already know about Mr Bloom - hence my non-story comment.
                  Ah - I understand. I didn't know about him. I doubt he's a good advert for you ... unless. :erm:

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                    A fine piece by Zoe Williams.

Let the barman declare, "Time's Up , Gentlemen Please" on Godfrey Bloom & his like exchanging sly racist remarks in the Snug.
                    The Smug more likely - a nasty piece of work is Mr Bloom.

Comment

• amateur51

Ah - I understand. I didn't know about him. I doubt he's a good advert for you ... unless. :erm:
                      Well there's the rub, Pabs - acting as a recruiting officer:erm:

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Well there's the rub, Pabs - acting as a recruiting officer:erm:
                        You took the words right ... [continues with Meat Loaf impersonation] ...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Jimmy Saville Float anyone?
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

No way of knowing Pabs.

He shouldn't use language like that, and it suggests something odious about him. But we already know about Mr Bloom - hence my non-story comment.
                            Has he been expelled from the party ?

Comment

• edashtav
                              • Jul 2012

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              The Smug more likely - a nasty piece of work is Mr Bloom.
                              :ela: :ok:

Comment

Working...
                              X