Plebs 0 Toffs 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Not a good week for Westminster, if you include Thornberry & Mellor.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
      Yes, we all get a bit short-tempered at times.

But most of us manage not to reveal quite so clearly that we regard the people we're sounding off at as our social inferiors.
      So you have social inferiors Jean? I'm not sure that I do, since it's impossible to really know what people who are strangers to us are like beneath their outward manner.
      It was interesting to see Ms Thornberry's brother come forward in her defence, since he is a van driver himself, his van painted red as it happens.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        ...it's impossible to really know what people who are strangers to us are like beneath their outward manner...
        Well, years ago (1995 or thereabouts) I was working for the Prison Service training organisation (a respite from prisoners - and staff) when I presented several modules with another trainer. Now I'd rather hogged the previous session, so I said to her, "I'll just stay in the background for this next session". Her immediate response was "You could never be in the background, Phil - you're just in a different foreground". Priceless! I had it made into a poster.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

It's the sheer triviality of this saga that is so baffling. Most of us, at some time, have put our hands up to something we never did in order to keep the peace, whether at home or work and all Mitchell had to do was say: 'Sorry for losing it, chaps, been a hard day' and that would have been the end of that. It's beyond comprehension to me that he lost his job, went down the legal route and is landed with a massive bill enough to have him sell his home.

Come now, there are so many more things to be getting worked up about. The state of the NHS, care of the elderly, children and the most vulnerable people in our society - a society that seems to care more about a 'here today, gone tomorrow politician' calling a policeman a 'pleb'. Is this country for real?
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            It's the sheer triviality of this saga that is so baffling. Most of us, at some time, have put our hands up to something we never did in order to keep the peace, whether at home or work and all Mitchell had to do was say: 'Sorry for losing it, chaps, been a hard day' and that would have been the end of that. It's beyond comprehension to me that he lost his job, went down the legal route and is landed with a massive bill enough to have him sell his home.

Come now, there are so many more things to be getting worked up about. The state of the NHS, care of the elderly, children and the most vulnerable people in our society - a society that seems to care more about a 'here today, gone tomorrow politician' calling a policeman a 'pleb'. Is this country for real?
            There are times when I think that there's a closely co-ordinated politico-economic 'cunning plan' in operation to divert attention from issues that could very literally be 'life and death' for us (much of it originating with mindlessly shortsighted individual and corporate monopoly capitalism) onto soaps, Z-list celebrity-following, and the occasional real-life soap issues like Plebgate.

How much of media front pages is now taken up with who shagged/killed who in East Enders/ Corrie etc when the end of civilisation really could be just round the corner?

And when the actors get attacked for what 'they' did in a TV series, one questions whether the 'civilisation' deserves to be saved anyway. Maybe gorillas, whales and porpoises should be given their chance to run the world?
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              Maybe gorillas, whales and porpoises should be given their chance to run the world?
              :thumbs up: :magic:

As long as the last two remain well out of the way in the oceans and don't dare interfere with sane and sensible ape-rule on land ...

Comment

• Despina dello Stagno
                • Nov 2012

it's because it's not just rude, it's de haut en bas rude.
                'Scuse me. I dote on bass. To call me a rudeboy is unforgiveable stereotyping.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

So you have social inferiors Jean? ...
                  I'd have thought it was obvious that my most of us was an ironic reference to the we in the post I was replying to.

(It really shouldn't be necessary to spell these things out.)

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                    • Jun 2014

It was interesting to see Ms Thornberry's brother come forward in her defence, since he is a van driver himself, his van painted red as it happens.
                    B****y commie ... :sneer:

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Not a good week for Westminster, if you include Thornberry & Mellor.
                      The best weeks in Westminster are when the house is in recess.

I use the singular of 'house' intentionally; the Lords are a waste of space and money at any time of year.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        The best weeks in Westminster are when the house is in recess.

I use the singular of 'house' intentionally; the Lords are a waste of space and money at any time of year.
                        Such class snobbery!

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Helped some in the legal "profession" and some journalists and other media people to maintain their living though, didn't it?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

I'd have thought it was obvious that my most of us was an ironic reference to the we in the post I was replying to.

(It really shouldn't be necessary to spell these things out.)
                            Fair enough,it's the term "social inferiors" whenever and wherever it's used that puzzles me. How does anybody judge except from a position of arrogance?

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Fair enough,it's the term "social inferiors" whenever and wherever it's used that puzzles me. How does anybody judge except from a position of arrogance?
                              That was exactly my point - Mitchell's was rudeness de haut en bas, as I said in my first reply to Petrushka who thought it a mystery why the insult had attracted such attention.

That I can recognise when other people think they're addressing their social inferiors shouldn't lead you to conclude that I would do it myself, or would even think I could identify who they were. Or would have any interest at all in doing either.

Last edited by jean; 30-11-14, 23:07.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                                • Nov 2010

That was exactly my point - Mitchell's was rudeness de haut en bas, as I said in my first reply to Petrushka who thought it a mystery why the insult had attracted such attention.

That I can recognise when other people think they're addressing their social inferiors shouldn't lead you to conclude that I would do it myself, or would even think I could identify who they were. Or would have any interest at all in doing either.

Then we agree, I'm really not accusing you of anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X