X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Do we have to go through all this again?

I've been criss-crossing Europe from the time you were in short trousers (my first trip to Italy was in 1962). All you need is a bloody passport.

A friend in Yugoslavia in 1981, said he might come to London, I said come. He arrived 3 days later at my house.

Things happened THAT fast in the real world.
    Nice to see you applauding the free movement of people that the EU has supported

I guess you have never been anywhere where you need a visa to work?

So if we restrict the free movement of people to work (Which is exactly what is being proposed)
    your mate could come to the UK but not work
    You could go there but not work

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      :hummmmmmmmmmmm:
      Puccini never experienced any difficulties moving about Europe, and there was no EUSSR in his day.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Nice to see you applauding the free movement of people that the EU has supported

I guess you have never been anywhere where you need a visa to work?

So if we restrict the free movement of people to work (Which is exactly what is being proposed)
        your mate could come to the UK but not work
        You could go there but not work
        You guessed wrong.

And getting work visas was a piece of cake. My mate went to Sweden and worked then Norway and worked, where he still is today. He was working in Yugoslavia and was a Greek national.

You make too many assumptions about how moving around Europe and working was, back in the day.

As I've offered before, if we exit the EU, I'll be happy to take care of that part of the business for you and all I'd ask in return is free entry to the gig and a pint.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
          The same it true for many in private rented accommodation. Why should those who just happen to rent from social landlords have this huge subsidy?
          ....yes indeed....
          bong ching

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Those of us who enjoy seeing and hearing musicians from other part of the EU need to be very worried indeed about some of the idea around free movement of workers in Europe that the loons are suggesting.
            There have already been some concerts disrupted because the UK authorities have in cases blocked musicians re-entry - even if only temporary - to the UK. OK - the ones I knew about were "only" for some Japanese musicians who happen to spend much of their time living in the UK, so not with a right to be here by virtue of being EU citizens AFAIK, but nevertheless there was disruption. A one day bureaucratic delay at an airport or entry point is sufficient to wreck some concerts. It's right that there are checks and controls, but some of them are surely needless if used to prevent established musicians from leaving and then re-entering the country.

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              And getting work visas was a piece of cake...
              Have you tried the USA?

Or talked to a US citizen about working in Europe?

Comment

• StephenO

Looking on the bright side, both good and bad things have come from this election.

Good - Ed Balls has lost his seat, Farage didn't get in, and the SNP have proved, if proof were needed, just how unfair and ridiculous our voting system is by winning 56 out of 59 seats with only 50% of the Scottish vote. Plus there'll be a referendum on EU membership. As Paddy Ashdown said, David Cameron won't keep us in the EU but the electorate will. A yes vote on Europe should put paid to UKIP's chances once and for all.

Bad - The prospect of five years of unrestrained Conservative rule. Without the Lib Dems there'll be no-one to curtail the Tory's 'nasty party' tendency. Were it not for the Lib Dem's influence over the past five years things like Pupil Premium, which has done so much to help so many disadvantaged young people, would never have been introduced.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                  things like Pupil Premium, which has done so much to help so many disadvantaged young people, would never have been introduced.
                  Part of the overall package to help disadvantaged young people to a) get the necessary qualifications from school to get to university and b) benefit from increased availability of scholarships and bursaries - and figures show that was successful. Unfortunately, that wasn't the headline story …
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Looking on the bright side, both good and bad things have come from this election.

Good - Ed Balls has lost his seat, Farage didn't get in, and the SNP have proved, if proof were needed, just how unfair and ridiculous our voting system is by winning 56 out of 59 seats with only 50% of the Scottish vote. Plus there'll be a referendum on EU membership. As Paddy Ashdown said, David Cameron won't keep us in the EU but the electorate will. A yes vote on Europe should put paid to UKIP's chances once and for all.

Bad - The prospect of five years of unrestrained Conservative rule. Without the Lib Dems there'll be no-one to curtail the Tory's 'nasty party' tendency. Were it not for the Lib Dem's influence over the past five years things like Pupil Premium, which has done so much to help so many disadvantaged young people, would never have been introduced.
                    The Lib Dems were about as useful in restraining the Tories as a pair of eggshell handcuffs . They allowed them to run amok - Lansley in the NHS , Gove at a Education , the destruction of legal aid , the bedroom tax and the appalling ATOS disability assessments which led to a number of suicides for a start . The Lib Dems were duly punished by all those they deceived into voting for them .

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Plus there'll be a referendum on EU membership. As Paddy Ashdown said, David Cameron won't keep us in the EU but the electorate will. A yes vote on Europe should put paid to UKIP's chances once and for all.
                      This is a good point. I've been thinking that this referendum would be no more than a colossal waste of time and effort and money, since we already know what the result is going to be. But if it puts paid to the whole distraction of UKIP's and the Tory right's concentration on this issue, maybe more important issues can come to the fore.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

one day my friends, one day....

In 1649
                        To St. George's Hill,
                        A ragged band they called the Diggers
                        Came to show the people's will
                        They defied the landlords
                        They defied the laws
                        They were the dispossessed reclaiming what was theirs

We come in peace they said
                        To dig and sow
                        We come to work the lands in common
                        And to make the waste ground grow
                        This earth divided
                        We will make whole
                        So it will be
                        A common treasury for all

The sin of property
                        We do disdain
                        No man has any right to buy and sell
                        The earth for private gain
                        By theft and murder
                        They took the land
                        Mow everywhere the walls
                        Spring up at their command

They make the laws
                        To chain us well
                        The clergy dazzle us with heaven
                        Or they damn us into hell
                        We will not worship
                        The God they serve
                        The God of greed who feed the rich
                        While poor folk starve

We work we eat together
                        We need no swords
                        We will not bow to the masters
                        Or pay rent to the lords
                        Still we are free men
                        Though we are poor
                        You Diggers all stand up for glory
                        Stand up now

From the men of property
                        The orders came
                        They sent the hired men and troopers
                        To wipe out the Diggers' claim
                        Tear down their cottages
                        Destroy their corn
                        They were dispersed
                        But still the vision lingers on

You poor take courage
                        You rich take care
                        This earth was made a common treasury
                        For everyone to share
                        All things in common
                        All people one
                        We come in peace
                        The orders came to cut them down

(I'm not sure that the "sin of property" applies to CD collections though. whistleysmileything)
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          The Lib Dems were about as useful in restraining the Tories as a pair of eggshell handcuffs . They allowed them to run amok - Lansley in the NHS , Gove at a Education , the destruction of legal aid , the bedroom tax and the appalling ATOS disability assessments which led to a number of suicides for a start . The Lib Dems were duly punished by all those they deceived into voting for them .
                          How much worse would it have been (or will it be) without the Lib Dems?

Anyway, you're overlooking all the Lib Dem's achievements in government - taking 3 million of the lowest earners out of paying Income Tax, cutting tax breaks for the richest, restoring the link between pensions and earnings, creating 2 million apprenticeships, stopping routine juvenile detentions in immigration cases, blocking ID cards, legalising same-sex marriages and improving childcare.

Yes, voters certainly punished the Lib Dems for mistakes like tuition fees but, in the long term, I'm worried that those who did so could instead be punishing the country as a whole and the most vulnerable in particular.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

I'm tired of these apologist arguments
                            it's a bit like
                            the choice is between

1: Someone goes for your groin with a baseball bat
                            or
                            2: You get stabbed in the leg with a dart

THERE are (and were) other possibilities you don't have to join in with pain

People turned against the Lib Dems for being dishonest and complicity
                            It's obvious that Cameron and chums are Rick Mayall characters but Clegg portrayed himself as something else

We are a rich country and we could do so much better

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Anyway, you're overlooking all the Lib Dem's achievements in government - taking 3 million of the lowest earners out of paying Income Tax, cutting tax breaks for the richest, restoring the link between pensions and earnings, creating 2 million apprenticeships, stopping routine juvenile detentions in immigration cases, blocking ID cards, legalising same-sex marriages and improving childcare.

Yes, voters certainly punished the Lib Dems for mistakes like tuition fees but, in the long term, I'm worried that those who did so could instead be punishing the country as a whole and the most vulnerable in particular.
                              Sorry to MrGG. I happen to believe Stephen here - though it's next to impossible to "prove". My belief is that we'll now see just how bad the Tories can be, if they get things their own way.

I know a lot of recent students find it hard to forgive the LibDems, and I have a lot of sympathy for their views. Clegg was really dumb to make what sounded like an unconditional promise, and then go back on it. Utterly stupid. If he had been slightly smarter on that occasion he would have encomp
                              assed his statements with weasel let out words. It was an unfortunate mistake, for which he tried to apologise. However, I'm not sure in the end that the disillusionment of students really had that much effect.
                              Last edited by Dave2002; 09-05-15, 22:21.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                (I'm not sure that the "sin of property" applies to CD collections though. whistleysmileything)
                                CDs (and books and cars and stuff) are "possessions" - "property" is something else. Possession isn't theft - property is.

Now get orff my land!
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X