X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P. G. Tipps
    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
    The permit me to explain. "Scotty" has nothing to do with the topic but my reference to him follows on from a number of like references from various board members who either believe or suspect that you may be scottycelt, a one time member of this forum, or some kind of reincarnation thereof and, as you will note, I appear to harbour more doubts about that possibility than do some others here. "The price of fish" is likewise of no relevance here but that's why I used the phrase in the presednt context; you have surely heard of the expression "what's that got to do with the price of fish?" in contexts where what's being discussed is not "the price of fish" and its use is therefore for the purpose of illustrating an irrelevance by introiducing another one? - or is that too subtle for you?
    I haven't noticed any particular subtlety in any of your offerings, ahinton, but I fully understand what you mean.

The trouble is, you see, you introduced red herrings(!) like 'the price of fish' and commented at length on someone called 'scotty' whilst at the same time suggesting I get back on topic when all I want is an answer from another member which is completely on-topic. Not logical, ahinton, not logical!

Had your post been intended for am51 alone, you should have sent him a PM instead; posts on fora, whilst they may address earlier ones by other members (and indeed often do so by quoting them first), are available to be read by all members and so your were effectively addressing all members by providing your response to am51 in the context of posting to a public forum.
    I don't use 'PMs' ... You are correct, this is indeed a public forum, and I treat it as such, but the question I asked can only come from one member and, in this case, that member is not you, ahinton!

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
      I haven't noticed any particular subtlety in any of your offerings, ahinton, but I fully understand what you mean.
      Whilst I'm pleased that you now understand my meaning, the notion of subtlety to which I referred was not intended to (nor indeed did it) suggest my own, as I did not invent the expression "what's that got to do with the price of fish?". Do please concentrate!

The trouble is, you see, you introduced red herrings(!) like 'the price of fish'
      An expression in relatively common parlance, not a "red herring"

and commented at length on someone called 'scotty'
      If that's "length" in your book, I shudder to imagine what you make of Mahler 3!

whilst at the same time suggesting I get back on topic when all I want is an answer from another member which is completely on-topic. Not logical, ahinton, not logical!

I don't use 'PMs' ... You are correct, this is indeed a public forum, and I treat it as such, but the question I asked can only come from one member and, in this case, that member is not you, ahinton!
      As I have already observed, when posting to a public forum your posts are avaiable to all members who choose to read them, so whilst the "answer" (not the "question", as you write above) can only come from the member to whom you addressed it, the post in which you posed it accordingly cannot be intended solely for that member. You don't have to use the PM facility if you prefer not to but, if you don't, nothing that you write here can or will be received or responded to by a single individual.

Comment

• amateur51

The fact that Mr P.G. Tipps joined comparatively recently doesn't mean that, previously, he had anything less than a lively interest in the exchanges on this forum, amateur51! Still, at least you understand the connection I made unlike the wholesale confusion that apparently reigns (not reins) in the minds of two other members!

Now ... when are you going to refer back to your own #11? ... that question remains wholly unanswered, I most humbly submit.
        What question is that scotty? Message #11 contains no question!

For new readers ... this complete diversion from the original topic is classic scottycelt behaviour

Comment

• amateur51

but the question I asked can only come from one member and, in this case, that member is not you, ahinton!
          The question you asked came from you, scotty!

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            The question you asked came from you, scotty!
            Might you suppose that scotty was/is the invention of some Muslims or even that P. G. Tipps was/is likewise? I ask only in an increasingly desperate (though doubtless also failed) attempt to return the thread to the topic.

That said, would it be acceptable to those members who refer to our resident Tippster as "scotty" to refrain from doing so at least unless and until incontrovertible evidence emerges that they are indeed one and the same?

Comment

• amateur51

Might you suppose that scotty was/is the invention of some Muslims or even that P. G. Tipps was/is likewise? I ask only in an increasingly desperate (though doubtless also failed) attempt to return the thread to the topic.

That said, would it be acceptable to those members who refer to our resident Tippster as "scotty" to refrain from doing so at least unless and until incontrovertible evidence emerges that they are indeed one and the same?
              It's been months of 'evidence' ahinton, I can't believe that you don't 'see' it.

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

It's been months of 'evidence' ahinton, I can't believe that you don't 'see' it.
                I'm not suggesting that P.G. Scott isn't Tippycelt - just that the odd similarities of approach and content here and there do not of themselves necessarily confirm that they are indeed one and the same; for one thing, there's such a thing as character imitation and, for another, real Scots would surely find something more pleasant to imbibe than cheap and nasty imitation tea...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                  • Jun 2014

The list of Great Scottish Inventions goes on ... and on ...

The first animals to copulate were small fish that lived 385 million years ago in what is now Scotland, a study suggests.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29661446
                    "John Long"..."Microbrachius dicki"? Hmmm...

Anyway, interesting as it is to see that we Scots invented sex, I trust that you will not take it amiss when I remind you that this thread's upposed to be about Inventions by Muslims of whom there were of course none at the time of those pioneering "fish in the unruffled lochs"...

Comment

• amateur51

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-29661446
                      Come up with an invention by a Scottish Muslim and you might be on-topic.

Meanwhile ... I've cross-posted with ahinton.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

"John Long"..."Microbrachius dicki"? Hmmm...

Anyway, interesting as it is to see that we Scots invented sex, I trust that you will not take it amiss when I remind you that this thread's upposed to be about Inventions by Muslims of whom there were of course none at the time of those pioneering "fish in the unruffled lochs"...
                        Oh, I never had you down as a strict 'on-topic' man. ahinton, especially as 'Inventions by Muslims' seemed to have well-nigh hit the buffers almost as soon it left the departing station ...

By all means do not let us stop you informing us of more such inventions and, also, of course, the multiple associated and speculative reflections on an alleged former identity of that well-known Muslim inventor, Mr P. G. Tipps!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                          • Jun 2014

Meanwhile ... I've cross-posted with ahinton.
                          Ditto post in reply to ahinton!!

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Someone must have made a halal haggis, surely.

The thread topic (though not its content) remind me of an interesting book I read last year, Pathfinders by Jim al-Khalili about Arabic mathematical discoveries, I think it might even have been a TV series in the UK a few years ago.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Oh, I never had you down as a strict 'on-topic' man. ahinton, especially as 'Inventions by Muslims' seemed to have well-nigh hit the buffers almost as soon it left the departing station ...
                              It wasn't my topic in the first place and, in any case, if you really believe that it "seemed to have well-nigh hit the buffers almost as soon it left the departing station", why did you contribute a further off-topic (or indeed any) post to it.

that well-known Muslim inventor, Mr P. G. Tipps!
                              Never heard of him; doesn't sound Islamic to me...

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                Someone must have made a halal haggis, surely.
                                I believe so, yes, but I think that they stopped doing so when they became aware that others were making Kosher ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X