• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Inventions by Muslims

I was surprised to read that Muslims invented cameras, coffee, soap, shampoo, cheques, universities and many other things like chemistry, hospitals, parachutes......

A real eye-opener.

The hashtag has been used as a sarcastic riposte to the 'Not in my name' campaign.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I thought that EVERYTHING was invented by Scottish people ?
    (in a very quiet whisper as i'm there at the moment)

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      No need to whisper, Mr GongGong ... nobody up there is likely to argue with you!

According to some knowledgeable American the Scots invented the modern world though I very much doubt that Scotland has ever been 'the poorest nation in Western Europe' certainly since the Act of Union with England three centuries ago.

One of the tiniest, incontrovertibly ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        So THAT'S who were responsible!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Yep; guilty as charged m'lud!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            It seems those know-all, enlightened Scots' Presbyterians even managed to invent black spiritual music as well ...

A study into the roots of gospel music by an American professor has lead the accomplished musician, who has played with Duke Ellington and Dizzy Gillespie, to conclude that the "good news" music sung in black American churches originated from Scotland, not Africa.

Recorded on the Isle of Lewis. Psalm 46, verses 1 and 2. A unique sound in the world of music!

Don't dare mention the slave trade ... <winkeye>

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
              It seems those know-all, enlightened Scots' Presbyterians even managed to invent black spiritual music as well ...

A study into the roots of gospel music by an American professor has lead the accomplished musician, who has played with Duke Ellington and Dizzy Gillespie, to conclude that the "good news" music sung in black American churches originated from Scotland, not Africa.

Recorded on the Isle of Lewis. Psalm 46, verses 1 and 2. A unique sound in the world of music!

Don't dare mention the slave trade ... <winkeye>
              Actually there are some really interesting things in this
              William McVicker (of RFH Organ fame) knows heaps about it

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

NOT guilty as charged; I certainly ain't one of them!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                  NOT guilty as charged; I certainly ain't one of them!
                  You most certainly aren't, ahinton ... I can willingly vouch for you there.

Few Scots, never mind our Prim & Proper Presbyterians, are ever heard using alien terms like 'meself' and 'ain't'. That's the stuff of more southerly Methodists and Baptists or even, Heaven Forbid, reprobate, Hellfire-bound Papists and Atheists.

Not for a single moment did we ever even suspect that you might be a possible survivor from the Great Scottish Enlightenment ...

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Few Scots, never mind our Prim & Proper Presbyterians, are ever heard using alien terms like 'meself' and 'ain't'. That's the stuff of more southerly Methodists and Baptists or even, Heaven Forbid, reprobate, Hellfire-bound Papists and Atheists.
                    Not any of those either...

Not for a single moment did we ever even suspect that you might be a possible survivor from the Great Scottish Enlightenment ...
                    Who are "we" and what is "the Great Scottish Enlightenment"?
                    Last edited by ahinton; 27-09-14, 12:38.

Comment

• amateur51

Oddly enough I don't ever think about the religious or cultural background of inventors. It seems to be so ... pointless.

Novelists, yes.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Indeed one might tend to think so, amateur51 ...

However:

Comment

• amateur51

Indeed one might tend to think so, amateur51 ...

However:

http://mises.org/daily/5062
                          I'm thrilled that you and Murray N Rothbard have found each other and wish you every happiness.

However I don't see how it relates to what I wrote, scotty.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            I'm thrilled that you and Murray N Rothbard have found each other and wish you every happiness.

However I don't see how it relates to what I wrote, scotty.
                            You may not 'see' or even 'think', as you, yourself, have previously and rather modestly conceded, but that does not mean the rest of us do not, scotty.

The article clearly identifies the strong link between Presbyterianism (a religion) and the Scottish Enlightenment which ultimately paved the way for so many inventions and medical discoveries by its learned sons.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

You may not 'see' or even 'think', as you, yourself, have previously and rather modestly conceded, but that does not mean the rest of us do not, scotty.

The article clearly identifies the strong link between Presbyterianism (a religion) and the Scottish Enlightenment which ultimately paved the way for so many inventions and medical discoveries by its learned sons.
                              And so it may indeed try to do that, but that doesn't make it corrrect; the facility to invent and make medical discoveries knows no such cultural boundaries because it's down to the imagination of each individual capable of achieveing such inventions and medical discoveries. In any case, Presbyterianism is not in principle a "religion" per se but just one particular and particularised branch of Protestant Christian practice (insofar as it is even that).
                              Last edited by ahinton; 27-09-14, 19:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X