• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    What sauce!!!
    Indeed; whenver I order a tomato juice in a local pub and am asked if I want Worcester sauce, I usually reply "don't you have any Herefordshire sauce?"...

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I was thinking along the lines of the "Independent country [sic] of Yorkshire"! Also I recall several small pockets in the UK which declared themselves "nuclear free zones."
      Well, if secession becomes fashionable in UK following Scotland's departure (if that occurs), the possibility of federalism following on from that cannot be dismissed entirely, one may suppose and so the possible establishment of Yorkshire as an independent country might well be on the cards, although one might assume that Lancashire would want similar status for itself...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Well, if secession becomes fashionable in UK following Scotland's departure (if that occurs), the possibility of federalism following on from that cannot be dismissed entirely, one may suppose and so the possible establishment of Yorkshire as an independent country might well be on the cards, although one might assume that Lancashire would want similar status for itself...
        Respective garden centres on each side doing good business therefrom in white and red roses!

Comment

• ahinton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Respective garden centres on each side doing good business therefrom in white and red roses!
          Indeed, presumably much to the pleasure (and profit) of their respective York- and Lanca- shireholders...

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

In the book of "dirty tricks" , flyposting a few lamp posts hardly merits a mention IMV

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              In the book of "dirty tricks" , flyposting a few lamp posts hardly merits a mention IMV
              A few - you haven't seen the streets and public areas matey!

Presumably if "Yes" wins, there won't be any penalties anyway - whether or not there have been offences - of which I'm really not sure. The Referendum website really doesn't seem to have been too well worked out - quite a lot of unanswered issues - http://scotreferendum.com/

As flossie mentioned earlier, based on what one can see, Scotland's a gonner already.

If that is what turns out, then the Westminster crowd will have fairly proved themselves to be completely incompetent, and out of touch, which I'm afraid is what the Independents have been saying for a while.

PS: I'd really like to see a photo of the "Yes" at the top end of Kessock bridge - whichever way things go. It's a real work of art, and lit up at night too.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                A few - you haven't seen the streets and public areas matey!
                I don't know where you live, but in Glasgow - & Edinburgh - I've seen no posters attached to lampposts, railings or street furniture generally. A fair few in flat & house windows (but not any more - possibly fewer - than for an election).

As flossie mentioned earlier, based on what one can see, Scotland's a gonner already.
                I didn't intend that as a serious forecast, or a serious suggestion that it was an indication of how it might go! The latest (YouGov?) poll gives the 'Nos' a 6 point lead after 'Don't knows' have been stripped out.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  I don't know where you live, but in Glasgow - & Edinburgh - I've seen no posters attached to lampposts, railings or street furniture generally. A fair few in flat & house windows (but not any more - possibly fewer - than for an election).
                  OK - I can't speak for Edinburgh or Glasgow right now, since I've not been there recently. Highland areas, such as Inverness, Dingwall and Gairloch have lots of "Yes" posters stuck on lamp posts, and I even saw people just a few days ago with a step ladder putting more up. Some lamp posts have both "Yes" and "No" posters, but the "Yes" ones are nearly always significantly bigger.

Some streets have them for a length getting on for a mile.

Maybe it's a Highland thing - I didn't notice many/any? in Dundee where I was only a days ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X