• Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Gaza

:-(
  • kea
    • Dec 2013

Demonstrations in Auckland today! A reasonable number of people actually showed up, despite the cold and rain, which was heartening. It's hard enough to get Kiwis to take notice of what's happening in Australia let alone the Middle East.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

The complicity of the UK and other western governments in this tragedy disgusts me.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        The complicity of the UK and other western governments in this tragedy disgusts me.
        It's difficult not to be nauseated by the hypocrisy. The terrible terrible truth is that Israel is the USA in all but name. As it exists at present it could simply not be a viable state without American support. Obama must know deep down that the only way out of this eternal disaster is to pull the plug on the money and weapons, but both his opponents and his allies will not allow that.

If Israel really came under international sanctions, a settlement would follow within months, but no, we go on giving unconditional support with Tony Blair to cheer us on.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Aren't you overlooking who is doing what to whom, and why?

Strikes me that two similar size nasty groups of people are committing atrocities against one another because the religious beliefs they hold give rise to irrational irredentist claims in this region. Take away religion, and they could probably work out a simple way to live side by side.

Don't put the blame anywhere but with the nasty people who are carrying out these deeds - tame your masochism.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Strikes me that two similar size nasty groups of people are committing atrocities against one another because the religious beliefs they hold give rise to irrational irredentist claims in this region. Take away religion, and they could probably work out a simple way to live side by side.

Don't put the blame anywhere but with the nasty people who are carrying out these deeds - tame your masochism.
            taking away the religion, in any sensible time frame, is surely impossible?
            some economic security for all must surely be a possible way to help massively reduce the violence, and start a virtuous circle of peace, prosperity etc?
            Last edited by teamsaint; 20-07-14, 20:23.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              taking away the religion, in any sensible time frame, is surely impossible?
              some economic security for all must surely be a possible way to help massively reduce the violence, and start a virtuous circle of peace, prosperity etc?
              I wasn't putting forward a solution, rather focusing the blame.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                • Mar 2007

I wasn't putting forward a solution, rather focusing the blame.
                Northern Ireland has so far taken a mere 350'ish years to reach some form of quietude - same situation people of wrong religion were 'induced' to leave, then land taken over by force by settlers of the 'right' religion followed by oppressive laws all backed up by a superior power who felt it politically expedient to have support in the region - Zionists were quick to claim back property etc looted by Nazis but don't seem to to accept the mote in their own eye - Gaza according to all independent witnesses is no better than a concentration camp.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                  Northern Ireland has so far taken a mere 350'ish years to reach some form of quietude - same situation people of wrong religion were 'induced' to leave, then land taken over by force by settlers of the 'right' religion followed by oppressive laws all backed up by a superior power who felt it politically expedient to have support in the region - Zionists were quick to claim back property etc looted by Nazis but don't seem to to accept the mote in their own eye - Gaza according to all independent witnesses is no better than a concentration camp.
                  In my view, the blame rests fairly and squarely on the shoulders of the characters who are carrying out these atrocities today - Hamas and the Israeli government.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Actually I think its clear to see where the responsibility lies
                    If one group of people are allowed to ride roughshod all over international law, the UN, the nuclear no proliferation treaty and so on
                    as well as stealing land and water using chemical weapons etc etc etc etc
                    What on earth do we expect when desperate people turn to the only people prepared to stand up for them ?

The state of Israel was created through the success of "terrorism"
                    It exists and that's not going to change, but the attitude towards it (mostly from the USA) is the source of so much of the conflict in the world today.

People who think it's ok to use tanks against children throwing stones ?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Actually I think its clear to see where the responsibility lies
                      If one group of people are allowed to ride roughshod all over international law, the UN, the nuclear no proliferation treaty and so on
                      as well as stealing land and water using chemical weapons etc etc etc etc
                      What on earth do we expect when desperate people turn to the only people prepared to stand up for them ?

The state of Israel was created through the success of "terrorism"
                      It exists and that's not going to change, but the attitude towards it (mostly from the USA) is the source of so much of the conflict in the world today.

People who think it's ok to use tanks against children throwing stones ?
                      One lot ride roughshod over the other lot, because their religious book says it's their land as of right. So the other lot fight fire with fire and send missiles and bombs back the other way killing innocent people, because their book says the land belongs to them, as of right. Hmmm.

Using tanks against children throwing stones? Rick (Young Ones) Mayall, RIP.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

One lot ride roughshod over the other lot, because their religious book says it's their land as of right. So the other lot fight fire with fire and send missiles and bombs back the other way killing innocent people. Hmmm.

Using tanks against children throwing stones? Rick (Young Ones) Mayall, RIP.
                        Indeed
                        There are no winners
                        But why does our government condone these things ?

Lyrics:Palestine's a countryOr at leastUsed to be.Felahin, refugee(Kurdistan similarly)Need something toBuild onRather likeThe rest of us.Palestine's a count...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Indeed
                          There are no winners
                          But why does our government condone these things ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rGWmABU4qA
                          Dondestan, a very clever play on (Spanish) words. thumbsupthingamajig

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls attacks "anti-Semitic" violence that broke out during a protest against Israel's action in Gaza.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

There was an interesting interview on Newsnight (BBC2) tonight where Israel's military actions were being defended by a member of Israel's labour party (not a natural supporter of such things) and very cogently disparaged by an Israeli author.

Comment

Working...
                              X